The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supra T51 KAI BB

AshBhp

Guest Usmann A

turbo weight could be down to just lightweight housings,which dont make it any better than others, or a different CHRA housing, doesnt mean the lighter the turbo the more special it is.

Thus why i said weigh the wheels, to see if they are made of "million dollar R&D" material. LOL

Have you guys held a GT42? Or even a GT47-88? :)

Mind you i only have one supra,but lots of turbos. hehehe

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Terry S
ok, just wait and be patient. i have 6 supras here, all single turbos with a mixture of turbos from trust, hks, garrett AND Boost Logic's setup.

when i have time (early part of next week) i will post pics on a digital scale of at least minimum 2-3 turbos. see the weight difference compared to the hks t51r.

to a hardcore enthusiast this would be serious shit. but to everyday people who are not too bothered they dont mind an "equivelent" if you know what i mean.

bijal

:)

Yeah absolutely, and saving the odd £500 never goes amiss either

You will need to weigh both the T51R & a GT4294R together to make your point though. Weighing other turbos is a pointless excercise.

they are not garrett gt42r's rebadged. they are totaly different. the hks version is EXTREMELY light weight and far advanced design. i cannot enphasise that enough.

bijal

:)

So what is the far advanced design bit? are the wheels etc actually different please?

Guest a71ak

Here's some of the defferences ... T51 has a VBand while the GT42 is a T4 flange ... T51 way lighter in wieght ... T51R/bb cools by oil and water ... also the outer shape is defferent .... GT42 is laggier too

I have used both of them and I can show you pics and but them on the scale to show the wieght defference if you want .. driving wise T51R is at least 200% better :) this is my openion and I respect the other openions !!

Ali

Guest Terry S
Here's some of the defferences ... T51 has a VBand while the GT42 is a T4 flange ... T51 way lighter in wieght ... T51R/bb cools by oil and water ... also the outer shape is defferent .... GT42 is laggier too

I have used both of them and I can show you pics and but them on the scale to show the wieght defference if you want .. driving wise T51R is at least 200% better :) this is my openion and I respect the other openions !!

Ali

Thanks for the post. OK so as we have said, the housings are different. I respect peoples opinions too, but would also like some tech information. BTW, the GT42R's are oil & water cooled too.

Guest a71ak

Also you can see these two pics and tell me if these turbos are the same one ... so it's not only the badge .... it's totally two defferent ones.

By the way ... HKS connecting rods are made by Carrello .... HKS injectors are made by Nippon Denso ... So if thier turbos are made by Garrett (Japan) doesnt need to be exactly one of thier range of turbos ... it could be based on one with improved specs by HKS engineers.

http://linux.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/00000001/full/FPGT42004_full.jpg

Guest Terry S

thanks for that, yep the housings are different, oh and the nut.

I give in, I am not gonna get any techincal info here. You win. ;)

Guest Usmann A

FM racing, LOL.

Housing differences, thats where the weight diff is coming in, how does that make HKS T51R so special ...?

Thanks for that Bijal ... still got a bet on, that im not going to get logs to show boost characterisitcs? on the same car ... :)

Have fun, i know i am. :)

:cool:

LOL

This is part of the T51R Jet engine sound technology :topsecret: :violin: ;)

I did wonder though, if the difference in sound is due in part to the different housing - I mean that if it is lighter chances are it is a little thinner and probably a slightly different material, therefore it is bound to sound different - more jet like...

Just a thought :)