The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID Kit - which brands to go for and which to avoid

DSK

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly many thanks for all the replies and help. For several weeks I have waited for Jam Performance to inform me when they can take payments over the phone etc but as of late they have failed to respond to any calls and emails. (I don't use Ebay or Paypal).

I have just confirmed an order for a the following HB4/9006 6000K kit from HIDS4U at £97.86 + £5 for next day delivery;

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/hb4-9006-hids4u-proplus-hid-xenon-conversion-e4-certified-ballas-c-18-p-1-pr-8.html

I think on balance, for the price and quality its very fair as many kits seems to have various bulb types all claiming to be the best, digital ballasts at extra cost, hardly any are listed as E/C/CE/TUV certified and many usually come with a 1 year warranty at best.

The kit will hopefully be fitted next Wednesday by Ash @ Garage 786 when I pop down in addition to a fluid change.

My current headlights bulbs seem to be a tad yellowish due to age (probably original bulbs from 1995 lol) so hoping to be a step ahead. I will be changing the Fog, side light and Main beam bulbs to Philips Ultra blue vision/Osram cool blue and will take some pictures after the new set has been fitted for all to benefit from.

The kit arrived from HIDS4U today (http://www.hids4u.co.uk/hb4-9006-xenon-hid-conversion-kits-c-18.html

Description

The original HIDS4U Pro Plus HID lighting kit. This is the best HID Xenon conversion kit headlight kit that we recommend for most cars, other than those which we list on the Ultimate HID kit page. These kits cannot be compared to the other HIDS kits on the market as they are all our own branded kits, which have been developed and designed by our in-house engineer working closely with the manufacturers. These new ballasts are all Digital, which improves reliability and reduces the problems associated with the older design non-digital type ballasts. This quality kit allows you to convert your standard halogen headlight to super performance HID Xenon. Due to the high quality components used in our HID conversion kits, we offer a 2 year warranty with the kits

We have been selling HID kits for many years and we refuse to compromise on quality. Our kits have the lowest failure of any we know of with less then 1%. Our bulbs, whilst more expensive, produce more lumens and out last other cheaper bulbs.

The HIDS4U Pro + ballast produces more light than other HID conversion kits and are even brighter than the factory fit Xenon headlights. Over 300% more light than your existing halogen bulbs. Do not assume that all HID kits on the market will give the same performance, only the high quality components will produce the best light output.

To make fitting even easier we have written our own instruction manual so you don't have to translate the Chinese English instructions supplied with most other HID kits. We even included a fault finding guide.

This kit boasts top quality steel waterproof ballast, high quality purpose made bulbs with metal or ceramic bulb holders that are designed to produce perfect beam patterns and focus just like the halogens, this can be seen in the pictures. The bulbs have been UV cut to prevent damage to plastic lenses

This kit is ideal for most cars even with bulb failure alarms. However please use our "Find HID Kit for my vehicle" application guide to check which of our HID kits are most suited to your vehicle

Kit looks good and AshBhp seems happy enough to fit it. Appears to be pretty much a plug & play fit as well, 2 connectors (i'm pointing to) plug directly to the ballast and the other connector appears to plug inot the OEM wiring plug that clips onto the original halogen HB4 bulb.

Can't wait until next wednesday.

I will take before and after pictures most probably on pitch black country lanes that I use so that fellow membrs can sse the true difference from a drivers perspective (i hope they live upto the hype).

Edited by DSK (see edit history)

The kit arrived from HIDS4U today (http://www.hids4u.co.uk/hb4-9006-xenon-hid-conversion-kits-c-18.html

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv60/dskandola/UK%20Toyota%20Supra%20TT/DSKHB4HID.jpg

Kit looks good and AshBhp seems happy enough to fit it. Appears to be pretty much a plug & play fit as well, 2 connectors (i'm pointing to) plug directly to the ballast and the other connector appears to plug inot the OEM wiring plug that clips onto the original halogen HB4 bulb.

Can't wait until next wednesday.

I will take before and after pictures most probably on pitch black country lanes that I use so that fellow membrs can sse the true difference from a drivers perspective (i hope they live upto the hype).

Looking nice mate. Too bad I already ordered a set of PIAAs or I am really thinking of going HID. Thinking of doing both the dipped beam and fogs and getting a PIAA for the high beam.

I was looking at the exact same website you ordered from too. Keep me updated about how it turns out mate if possible ;)

jonathanc

The HIDS4U kit is said to be amongst the very best quality kits, whilst you will pay more for it, the spec, warranty and reviews are reassuring and easily worth the extra £££.

I am changing my sidelight and fog light bulbs to Philips Ultar Blue Vision (or even Osramn Cool blue) depends which I get cheaper as I don't need to specify Philips (my favourite bulb upgrade across several vehicles for about 7 years!) due to the extra output the HID should provide.

AshBhp of Garage786 is fitting them on 21/10/2009. I will post suitable before/after pictures around this time.

Thanks mate ;) I wonder if its possible to fit both the fogs (H3) and the dipped beam with HIDs lol. I have PIAA on the dipped now its alright but I will have to see your results before deciding. I drive in the city sometimes at night and I'm afraid that I will dazzle peeps with the HID.

jonathanc

The HIDS4U kit is said to be amongst the very best quality kits, whilst you will pay more for it, the spec, warranty and reviews are reassuring and easily worth the extra £££.

I am changing my sidelight and fog light bulbs to Philips Ultar Blue Vision (or even Osramn Cool blue) depends which I get cheaper as I don't need to specify Philips (my favourite bulb upgrade across several vehicles for about 7 years!) due to the extra output the HID should provide.

AshBhp of Garage786 is fitting them on 21/10/2009. I will post suitable before/after pictures around this time.

edit: Why not try fitting it yourself mate? I'm not sure about TT engine bay but its pretty easy to change bulbs on my NA.

Thanks mate ;) I wonder if its possible to fit both the fogs (H3) and the dipped beam with HIDs lol. I have PIAA on the dipped now its alright but I will have to see your results before deciding. I drive in the city sometimes at night and I'm afraid that I will dazzle peeps with the HID.

edit: Why not try fitting it yourself mate? I'm not sure about TT engine bay but its pretty easy to change bulbs on my NA.

I'm replacing the other bulbs myself but i'd rather have AshBHp fit it since I'm there next week anyway... I'd be fine upto the point I'd have to mount the ballasts knowing my spanner capabilities.

I'm replacing the other bulbs myself but i'd rather have AshBHp fit it since I'm there next week anyway... I'd be fine upto the point I'd have to mount the ballasts knowing my spanner capabilities.

Hehe, some come with dust, shock and waterproof ballast so you can just zip tie them somewhere sensible. I can't seem to find a link for that now though...found it on eBay a month ago.

• 5 months later...
Ok next on my list is xenon bulbs, but im not sure what to go for. 35W or 55W?

Knight Racer 35W or 55W (9005 for my JSpec dipped beams) http://www.knightracer.com/xenon.htm

Or

HIDS4U 35W or 55W

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/hb3-9005-xenon-hid-conversion-kits-c-17.html

Hmm...

Xeon bulbs? You will paying quite a bit for a light blue which has been painted blue. You won't notice much difference just it will be a lighter shade and not so "yellow" looking. I personally suggest getting a HID kit. It will transform light output and make a much clear view. Plus with it makes the Supra look up to date with the HID conversion done.

I have just confirmed an order for a the following HB4/9006 6000K kit from HIDS4U at £97.86 + £5 for next day delivery;

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/hb4-9006-hids4u-proplus-hid-xenon-conversion-e4-certified-ballas-c-18-p-1-pr-8.html

I think on balance, for the price and quality its very fair as many kits seems to have various bulb types all claiming to be the best, digital ballasts at extra cost, hardly any are listed as E/C/CE/TUV certified and many usually come with a 1 year warranty at best.

Looking to order a set of these in the 5000k option, anyone else ordered these? Just wondering where/how to mount the ballast.

Xeon bulbs? You will paying quite a bit for a light blue which has been painted blue. You won't notice much difference just it will be a lighter shade and not so "yellow" looking. I personally suggest getting a HID kit. It will transform light output and make a much clear view. Plus with it makes the Supra look up to date with the HID conversion done.

Yeah Xenon/HID Kits as the links show, i just class them as Xenon bulbs/HID kits.

Edited by devan (see edit history)