The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alloy Radiators

edinlexusV8

Yep, PWR is a top radiator, been using one on mine for about a year now, never have any problems with water cooling on the track even when I was running 900bhp. Its not just about water cooling, you need to look at your oil cooling side as well, thats a different story though.

Thanks Paul. It seems there is no other option for me (V8 Soarer) other than PWR for a decent alloy radiator. Got a couple of quotes form the aussies but they all come for around £400. PWR Europe quoted me £520 for one.

What is it with PWR?

Thats all you go on about

Do you work for them?

Ofcourse I dont work for PWR (if I would I might have got some thing sorted by now). Coming to my case, I never managed to find an alloy radiator for V8 soarer under £450. Almost all the metal radiators are copper cores. There are a couple KOYO aluminium core radiators with plastic tank trans coolers. These plastic tanks seems to be unreliable. Most of the radiator problems come from these plastic tanks either they leak or break.

There are lots of alloy radiators for TT Soarers and Supras but nothing for V8 Soarer Auto. The only one I found was PWR AUS. The price for a PWR one is very high, almost £520 ish I was quoted!

Toyota Rads are copper core and they are not very good for continuous wet weather conditions

Hang on hang on no-one picked up on this? You're arguing against copper core radiators because they don't like being a bit damp?! :eek: You do know what's inside the radiator?

.Also the plastic trans cooling tank seems to leak and break in some of the cars.

Yes, after about fifteen years, one or two of them can do that. What's the PWR rad like after fifteen years of being used daily and sat outside it's whole life?

I am planning to supercharge my car, so I am looking for a good cooling alternative.

No you aren't, you're looking for someone to validate your choice of PWR (and possibly something more sinister with regards to group buys). I could say "stick with stock until you know it's your rad letting you down" but somehow I don't think that's going to hit home.

-Ian

Ok guys got my radiator sorted. PWR ones are very good but quite (expensive most of all not required) Bought one from a mate in AUS he managed to get a custom made one for me for £320 including postage, comes with a trans cooler for my auto box - What else can you ask! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Well done on being the single participant in your 'group' buy. It's good to see the prices are the same regardless. ;)

After doing quite a bit of research I found that all new cars, race cars, exotic cars, rally cars, supercars etc use alloy radiators. Not sure about heat dissipation and corrosion. I read mixed responses. But due to the sheer extra thickness of the alloy radiators (15-25mm) I suppose they can outperform a stock copper one also alloy ones have less chance of corrosion (I may be wrong!)

Coming to leakage of the radiators, the fact that copper cannot be welded and the radiator is full of brass (tubes) and solder (holding the tubes in) which makes an alloy radiator better at least when it comes to welding. Anyway this is all what I gathered but I may be wrong!

Aesthetically they look good as well

I understand that toyota rads have a weakness at the top especially when you increase the pressure with a uprated rad cap. I know mine did! So I bought a fluidyne, I think that's what a few guys do on here.

My fluidyne rad died along the top. Replaced it with a toyota. Works perfectly.

Didnt see the sense paying 4-500 or whatever for a alloy rad when the people i asked on here and the garrage i had it fitted said all the alloy rads they had seen were poorly made compared to toyota's. Less surface area and less dense.

At the end of the day a toyota rad is copper. And the others are alu... last time i checked copper was better at conducting heat :p

One of the guys on here even said he had tested the difference and the toyota unit was marginaly better. But he didnt want to get into an argument on the forum :p

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)