The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front side light questions

jevansio

Does Heckler do smoked front indicators? You could ditch the fogs in favour of side lights up there and have the smoked indicators recessed well back into the vents.

Murdered out is SUCH a good idea! :) I'd love a matt black wrap or respray and some dark rims.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The slim indicators turned up today so I made a start murdering mine out :D

Removed the facelift side light/indicator units.

I'm going to mount the indicators you normally find on car wings on the upper surface of both side ducts, the indicators are smooth & dark so should hardly be noticable when off. If anyone can forsee anything wrong with this approach shout up as I'm cutting holes in the bumper tomorrow :D

Here she is now, and this is hopefully how she'll look when all is done:

http://www.imotors.co.uk/temp/jay/SupraLights/Img_4272 1.jpg

Its strange, the red calipers actually bring a "fluffy" look to my car lol.

Do you have any pics of the indicators on their own Jay, curious of your idea. I might just be too drunk to picture it in my head lol.

They're in the garage Scott, I'll get a load of pics tomorrow when I try & fit them :)

What a waste of a day that was. Spent the entire day carefull mounting the indicators into the bumper. Went to fit the bumper back on and the indicator housing catches on the frame of the car the bumper sits on :)

I deleted all the photos I took along the way in a fit of rage (the camera was lucky it made it unscathed).

I'm still keen on going for this look, but I'm changing plans. Now I'm trying to find out how to mount an indicator inplace of the fog light as per the car in the OP, and I'll just ditch side lights all together.

Well Kopite has just been round showing off his new look, it looks awesome. What's this gotta do with this thread I hear you ask :). Well he's put a set of HID's on & some led bulbs in the side lights. I'm thinking sod all this custom light crap, might put the facelift lights back in, LED side light bulbs, fog & dip beam HIDs. No worries about MOT or whether people can see me indicating. Might apply a tint to the sidelights to take the edge off them

Well Kopite has just been round showing off his new look, it looks awesome. What's this gotta do with this thread I hear you ask :). Well he's put a set of HID's on & some led bulbs in the side lights. I'm thinking sod all this custom light crap, might put the facelift lights back in, LED side light bulbs, fog & dip beam HIDs. No worries about MOT or whether people can see me indicating. Might apply a tint to the sidelights to take the edge off them

Sounds like a good plan.

I have HIDs in my dipped but the fog lights look like a pain to convert.

Your car looks awesome either way.

Johnny G, his mate & myself did his (fogs & dips) at mine last year, I recall some trimming was required, I'll probably be asking lots of HIDs questions shortly abotu the whole thing :), I wish Ro would have let me take a photo of his car as it looked stunning tonight

Cheers Adz :)

PS didn't want to start a new thread for this but here's a photoschop I've done with the wheels I've decided to go for, thanks to Jamie for ripping his pic, a good successor to the TRD's? (ignore the colour saturation match between the 2)

attachment.php?attachmentid=98385&stc=1&d=1252784364

Img_4272%201.jpg

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

Perfect choice of rims imo Jay, that'll look awesome when they're on :)

I like the lip too, but I've never been totally sold on the way it sweeps up at the sides...have you thought about trimming it, or an amuse lip (costs a fortune :( ) or an active spoiler maybe?

Perfect choice of rims imo Jay, that'll look awesome when they're on :)

I like the lip too, but I've never been totally sold on the way it sweeps up at the sides...have you thought about trimming it, or an amuse lip (costs a fortune :( ) or an active spoiler maybe?

Cheers Jim If it had been polyurethene I might have risked trimming it, I had a UK lip for 2 years before this and wanted something a bit more "mean"

if fogs are fitted to a vehicle it is mandentory for them to work for an MOT so for a sup they are required, also your side lights need to come on seperate to your driving lights or dipped beem, hope that helps.

if fogs are fitted to a vehicle it is mandentory for them to work for an MOT so for a sup they are required, also your side lights need to come on seperate to your driving lights or dipped beem, hope that helps.

But does "if fitted" mean fitted by manufacturer, or if fitted to that vehicle (ie if they were optional from manufacturer, how the hell is the tester supposed to know whether to fail the car or not)?

I've rezurected this little project, won't have time to do it this weekend but I'll post what i did on my last attempt, why it failed, and what I'm planning this time. PS I know some of what I was planning isn't MOT legal, but the end result will be).

These are what I bought last time (Ford Mondeo Smoked Wing indicators :D), and a comparison of how big they are compared to what I was replacing:

attachment.php?attachmentid=98663&stc=1&d=1253355018

attachment.php?attachmentid=98664&stc=1&d=1253355018

attachment.php?attachmentid=98665&stc=1&d=1253355018

The plan was to somehow replace the facelift sidelight/indicator unit with something more subtle. I wasn't sure whether these would become indicators (and I'd fit sidelights into the main light units somehow - or even just ditch the sidelights), or these would become sidelights and I'd put the indicators in the main light units.

I mounted them into the "roof" of the vents.

attachment.php?attachmentid=98667&stc=1&d=1253355234

attachment.php?attachmentid=98668&stc=1&d=1253355234

attachment.php?attachmentid=98669&stc=1&d=1253355234

As you can see, as indicators they pretty feeble. The reflector is pointing straight down. A simple test of hooking them up to a battery confirmed that the indicator was pretty invisible and next to no use. It was like a flashing dot :D. I put white bulbs in and tested them as sides, they were perfect.

It was at this point I decided to go with them as sidelights & turn my fogs into indicators. I did the loom & went to fit the bumper for the final time. I then found out the bulb holders were catching on the bumper support frame, I ended up destroying a bulb holder trying to get it to fit.

I put the originals back in and had a couple of bottles of wine while I mulled it over :D. As I say Ro came over and his lights looked amazing at night with the HIDs & LED sides. It fired me onto either finding another way of fitting the side lights or finding some other side/indicator units.

This week I mocked up mounting the small side lights pointing forward (attached to where the OEM lights mount). Here's a quick pic with me holding one. It doesn't look too good on the photo, but I made a gash bracket & stood back & had a look & TBH it looked pretty smart.

attachment.php?attachmentid=98670&stc=1&d=1253355710

The only thing I didn't like is the bulb doesn't really follow the lines of the vent. One of my main requirements of this was that the light must look like Toyota had done it themselves.

This is when I had a stroke of luck, after spending days of searching ebay for suitable light units I came across these little beauties :D, and old schoolers guess what they're off?

attachment.php?attachmentid=98671&stc=1&d=1253355902

attachment.php?attachmentid=98672&stc=1&d=1253355902

They have indicators & side lights built into 1 sealed unit, they looked like they would fill the vent perfectly & they're smoked.

attachment.php?attachmentid=98673&stc=1&d=1253355902

attachment.php?attachmentid=98674&stc=1&d=1253355902

Some pics showing how they compare in size to the orginals & a plan view of how I'm envisiging they're be mounted in comparison to the OEMs (sorry for the dark photo's I left my polarizing filter on my camera).

I've very quickly tried to position one on the car to show what I'm aiming for, please note they'll sit a little higher than this as they're pretty much just balanced in place:

attachment.php?attachmentid=98675&stc=1&d=1253356133

attachment.php?attachmentid=98676&stc=1&d=1253356133

attachment.php?attachmentid=98677&stc=1&d=1253356133

attachment.php?attachmentid=98678&stc=1&d=1253356133

IMG_4337.jpg

IMG_4338.jpg

IMG_4339.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg

IMG_4346.jpg

IMG_4347.jpg

IMG_4340.jpg

IMG_4341.jpg

IMG_4342.jpg

IMG_4343.jpg

IMG_4348.jpg

IMG_4349.jpg

IMG_4350.jpg

IMG_4351.jpg

Today I fitted my new sidelight/indicator units. They needed a custom bracket making and it's not pretty but it's secure & is not noticable from outside the car.

The bracket was 3 pieces of aluminium rivited together.

attachment.php?attachmentid=99034&stc=1&d=1253975964

attachment.php?attachmentid=99035&stc=1&d=1253975964

attachment.php?attachmentid=99036&stc=1&d=1253975964

This was then bolted to the roof of the vent (you can see where I cut a hole for the previous attempt, might get the filled in when the car is resprayed).

attachment.php?attachmentid=99037&stc=1&d=1253975964

Quick shot from the front to compare against the old light

attachment.php?attachmentid=99038&stc=1&d=1253975964

And both in

attachment.php?attachmentid=99039&stc=1&d=1253975964

Bumper back on & lights wired up

attachment.php?attachmentid=99040&stc=1&d=1253975964

attachment.php?attachmentid=99041&stc=1&d=1253975964

And after a wash and from farther back to see how they look

attachment.php?attachmentid=99042&stc=1&d=1253975964

I'm just waiting for dusk to set in, will get some pics/a little vid with the led side lights & the indicators working. Just waiting for my led bulbs for the main lights now & thats the front lighting taken care of

Couple of pics as the sun has gone down a little, with side lights on & indicators

attachment.php?attachmentid=99051&stc=1&d=1253986079

attachment.php?attachmentid=99052&stc=1&d=1253986079

IMG_4390.jpg

IMG_4391.jpg

IMG_4392.jpg

IMG_4393.jpg

IMG_4394.jpg

IMG_4396.jpg

IMG_4400.jpg

IMG_4401.jpg

IMG_4405.jpg

IMG_4413.jpg