The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA to Single Turbo Conversion???

Bobbystone

Yeah, I am doing a transplant, but I've gone to umpteenth level of conversion.

I had an NA aerotop, auto with open diff....

I've just completed my engine transplant, but at the same time, I've done the following....

Torsen Diff

Tein Suspension

ABS

Full car loom replacement

Dash replace

Engine with a single conversion

Tiptronic gearbox

emanage and profec

And a few other bits...

It is a hell of a project, let me tell you, it has taken 6 weeks so far to do all the work, but it is almost complete complete, then I've got to tune it...

Yes it would be easier to sell the car and buy a TT, however I wouldn't end up with the car that I've got now.....

Very worthwhile, but be prepared for a lot of work....

Gav

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, the NA-T will have a shit load of low down response due to the compression ratio.

But Terry, if your planning on running big BHP with a NA-T conversion, dont you have to lower the compression to that similar of a TT?? so the low down response will be the same as a TT?? (sorry im all new to this!!)

But Terry, if your planning on running big BHP with a NA-T conversion, dont you have to lower the compression to that similar of a TT?? so the low down response will be the same as a TT?? (sorry im all new to this!!)

3mm headgasket with ARP studs, bump up the boost to whatever.....

everything you need to know on that link i posted earlier.

Boost Logic, SP, or a Dave H kit will give you TT eating performance with ease... ;)

Guest Terry S

Yes

300BHP on a NA will surely make it quicker in accerlaration then a TT for 2 reasons:

Good low down response, as at that bhp, compression wouldnt need to be lowered as much.

The 5 speed box in the NA has different gear ratios. meaning quicker accerlaration, lower top end. Terry do you have any idea how much 300Bhp NA 0-60 time would be?

Sorry people but its gonna get a bit more technical now.

Done loads more searching and reading, particularly about the squish band.

Totally understand what it is and why you need it but in the past threads nothing was actually said about how to maintain a good squish band on an NA motor whilst lowering the compression.

If fitting a thicker head gasket screws up the squish band is there some other way of reaching the required compression ratio without fitting one?

For instance, are there any aftermarket pistons with dished tops (been looking, but haven't found any yet) and how much are they gonna cost?

Or, I was thinking, is there any scope to remove some material from the inside of the compression chamber dome and doing it that way? Obviously being careful to maintain a constant volume across all six cylinders, not just dive in with a die grinder and hope for the best.

Any engine head experts here? Digsy?? CW??

Sorry people but its gonna get a bit more technical now.

Done loads more searching and reading, particularly about the squish band.

Totally understand what it is and why you need it but in the past threads nothing was actually said about how to maintain a good squish band on an NA motor whilst lowering the compression.

If fitting a thicker head gasket screws up the squish band is there some other way of reaching the required compression ratio without fitting one?

For instance, are there any aftermarket pistons with dished tops (been looking, but haven't found any yet) and how much are they gonna cost?

Or, I was thinking, is there any scope to remove some material from the inside of the compression chamber dome and doing it that way? Obviously being careful to maintain a constant volume across all six cylinders, not just dive in with a die grinder and hope for the best.

Any engine head experts here? Digsy?? CW??

ERR fit some TT pistons !!!!!

Dude :cool:

Guest Terry S

Laz, squish is important but there have been many conversions using the HG method in the US that are running without issue. A much more economical option than pistons.

BTW we keep new Toyota TT pistons in stock

JUN sell Cosworth pistons, and they have enough meat in the crown to allow you machine them to alter CR. You can also remove some material from the combustion chambers if necessary. On my Skyline build I am machining the pistons to get my desired CR. It's easy for me to glibly say "machine the pistons" `cos I have the machinery to do this, but to be honest it's no big deal once you get your machinist to make up some sort of fixture to hold the pistons square on the milling table. Squish IS REALLY IMPORTANT.

Thick head gaskets are really not on if you intend to run any significant amount of boost, IMO.

Toyota ones are good

Yeah, but there may be others that are better and cheaper :eyebrows:

Laz, squish is important but there have been many conversions using the HG method in the US that are running without issue. A much more economical option than pistons.

Hmmm. I think I'll leave that subject for now until I've had a chance to speak to more people (like yourself) directly and at length, all I'm doing at the moment is showing my ignorance. Besides, there's still some more upgrading of the car to do before putting the turbo on.

What are your thoughts (everybodies) on what would need upgrading on the rest of the car? Doing the brakes now (UK spec) and earlier I mentioned the rear end, if I changed the diff for a TT one I believe the halfshafts would need changing also as NA and TT are different (I think I read that somewhere on supraforums).

This next one will make you draw air in through your teeth...

My car has no ABS and as I understand it RLTC operates through that system so unless I retro fit ABS there will be no traction control on this car, before you ask, yes I do drive fast but I don't drive foolishly, is there anybody here who also has no TC have any thoughts or input?

Cheap and piston never go well together, trust me. Spend good money on these, it's worth it.

I have a GENUINE 500 BHP 2 whel drive Skyline, that has no ABS or TC, I am glad to say (lighter, simpler and less wires) It's a bit wild, but hell, you just have to treat the throttle with respect in the wet. No big deal. My race car is over 500 BHP *PER TON* and has no ABS or TC, again, no problem, even in the wet, but that DOES demand serious respect, and gets it :)

I wouldn't go to the huge amount of agg trying to retrofit ABS, it's just not worth the trouble, IMO.

Yeah, but there may be others that are better and cheaper :eyebrows:

What are your thoughts (everybodies) on what would need upgrading on the rest of the car? Doing the brakes now (UK spec) and earlier I mentioned the rear end, if I changed the diff for a TT one I believe the halfshafts would need changing also as NA and TT are different (I think I read that somewhere on supraforums).

QUOTE]

Remember all the US cars have the big diff (UK) , you should be able to swap in a J spec Torsen no probs and no shaft change !!! ;)

Dude :D

Remember all the US cars have the big diff (UK) , you should be able to swap in a J spec Torsen no probs and no shaft change !!!

Cool!

Did the Torsen ratios differ between the auto and manual? and bearing in mind I want a proper fast GT car, not race (sorry Dude :D ), which would be the better?

I've got no idea what the current ratio is, but it isn't a L.S.D.

Is there a plate somewhere on the car that will tell me?

The car will stay an auto

An auto diff will let you hit over 185 mph dude , how fast you wanna go !!!! :respekt:

Dude :cool: