The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Got Pulled!! AGAIN!

tony tt

Exactly it.

I think it depends on how anal they are about it, or if they've met their quota for the month.

If I were you mate, I'd contest the fine, using the reference from the DVLA website as your basis. They can't go bending and changing the rules all the time just to suit themselves and make some money. This kind of bullying and oppression sickens me.

Is it really worth the hassle to go down that road and end up in court over it? Either way im not changing anything on my car every other car on the road has a flag of some sort on the plate! It is true though they just make it up as they go along!

That's odd. The DVLA site says (in leaflet INF104):

You may, if you wish, display a GB national flag with letters on the number plate at the extreme left of the plate. The flags you can choose from are:

Union Flag,

the Cross of St George,

the Scottish Saltire,

the Red Dragon of Wales

The letters you can choose from are:

Great Britain or GB;

United Kingdom or UK;

ENGLAND or England or ENG or Eng;

SCOTLAND or Scotland or SCO or Sco;

CYMRU or Cymru or CYM or Cym;

WALES or Wales

Although number plates displaying these national flags and letters would be legal when travelling outside the United Kingdom they are not acceptable for identification purposes. To meet international circulation requirements the oval GB Sticker would also need to be displayed when travelling outside the United Kingdom. Alternatively number plates displaying the European symbol may be used when travelling within Europe.

You are not allowed to display any other flag or symbol and this only applies to vehicles registered in England, Scotland and Wales. Northern Ireland (NI) is excluded, leaving the European Flag as the only acceptable symbol there.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/Doitonlinemotoring/DG_10031646

Google finds news items saying that they are legal as well.

Thanks very much for that Gareth ill keep that if i get stopped again for it mate!

My exhaust is illegal now nothing was mentioned the previous time it was there and they did test it at 84db but the guy let me off. This time 99db at 2000rpm fail told me to change it he said the standard supe exhaust is barely legal as it is.

Obviously the first time you were pulled the officer used a level of discretion- Maybe he gave you the chance to rectify your car. On this occasion, they didn't.

Oh i was just informed from my girlfriend it wasnt the flag on the plate ive a slogan on the bottom of my plate saying "The flying Scotsman" thats whats not allowed apparently. Sorry for timewasting but thanks for checking on dvla for me. Im a tool i really should listen when people are talking to me.

...bad news Tony.

I thought i saw a post a while back you had taken the soop off the road?

£60..what a bummer, just think of the good you're doing for the economy tho..er.. I'll get my coat...

:blink:

Hi bud yeah is was off the road for a while but i taxed it 2 wks ago now this. There just trying to force big cars off the road. Im sure an aston or something would be more than 80db at 2000rpm they going to put a prohibition notice on them too! A chopper past me in town today and it was deafening you dont see them gettin pulled into car parks for checks from the police. It fu#ks me right off the traffic police dont bat an eyelid when im driving past them or if there driving behind me i get no bother from them at all and some vossa twat tells me its illegal and needs changed! He can suck my sh#t!!!!

i can kind of understand paying up for badly illegal plates, but exhaust?

Who are these people? Seems almost pointless, from a safety point of view. Hardly building bridges with the community is it?

Oh well, so long as it keeps the police off the streets.