The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FMIC Power Increase

kill1308

I had a good condition SMIC and my car definately 'perked up' when fitted with a GReddy 3-Row FMIC.

Make of that what you will! :)

Cheers,

Brian.

I agree and felt the same after fitting my Blitz v-spec cooler. The hard pipes made a big difference as well. It sounds daft, but I could almost feel the big rubber pipes on the old SMIC almost start to swell when I got on boost, but the hard pipes stopped this and im sure the FMIC perked my car up;)

lol, I think it's a placebo effect Mike.

It's been covered many times before, and still no-one has done a reasonable test to prove one way or the other. All that can be said with any accuracy, is if you compare a good condition SMIC against a good condition, well installed FMIC, the FMIC should give you more performance by virtue of it's extra size.

But seeing as I've yet to a single well installed FMIC, and even if it were you would have to compromise on other factors such as cooling capacity, it's impossible to say how they perform.

lol, I think it's a placebo effect Mike.

It's been covered many times before, and still no-one has done a reasonable test to prove one way or the other. All that can be said with any accuracy, is if you compare a good condition SMIC against a good condition, well installed FMIC, the FMIC should give you more performance by virtue of it's extra size.

But seeing as I've yet to a single well installed FMIC, and even if it were you would have to compromise on other factors such as cooling capacity, it's impossible to say how they perform.

I had a reasonable condition (you'd probably consider it knackered :D ) SMIC. It made 345 rwhp ar SRR, a week later I had a greddy 3 row FMIC fitted and matched up to a do-luck bumper with ducting to the IC (but not between the IC and rad), it made 360 rwhp at the same dyno that week with almost the same atmospheric conditions. It was running rather high boost though (1.2 bar on stock turbo's is quite a lot for SRR, as you know they normally run lower than road boost on the dyno).

It might be the stock SMIC condition holding it back, but there was a very real difference in high end power on the motorway. It was absolutely not a placebo effect. However there was also a very noticable difference in the spool time, it took around 200rpm further to reach peak boost under 4th/5th gear load.

I always wondered if a stock new replacement would make the same difference, I would expect so, but without the lag difference.

I had a reasonable condition (you'd probably consider it knackered :D ) SMIC. It made 345 rwhp ar SRR, a week later I had a greddy 3 row FMIC fitted and matched up to a do-luck bumper with ducting to the IC (but not between the IC and rad), it made 360 rwhp at the same dyno that week with almost the same atmospheric conditions. It was running rather high boost though (1.2 bar on stock turbo's is quite a lot for SRR, as you know they normally run lower than road boost on the dyno).

It might be the stock SMIC condition holding it back, but there was a very real difference in high end power on the motorway. It was absolutely not a placebo effect. However there was also a very noticable difference in the spool time, it took around 200rpm further to reach peak boost under 4th/5th gear load.

I always wondered if a stock new replacement would make the same difference, I would expect so, but without the lag difference.

I took my Supra out today, first time it has had a decent run since fitting my new Greddy FMIC, and my god the lag!!! Really noticeable difference.

Sorry thought this post had died off.... so from those of that have fitted them there's a noticeable difference in lag then. How annoying is on the road? I'm having second thoughts about this now I think...

I've been told by several people that it's a good addition to BPU, but I don't want to further increase lag. I plan to go single eventually which is why I was originally thinking it would be a good idea...

So what's the general consensus? Should I wait until I actually went single to get an FMIC and stick with the SMIC for now? Or is the additional lag really not that noticeable on the road?

I pretty much thought I had made my mind up on this, but now I'm not so sure. Thanks a lot for the info peeps... really appreciated.

Sorry thought this post had died off.... so from those of that have fitted them there's a noticeable difference in lag then. How annoying is on the road? I'm having second thoughts about this now I think...

I've been told by several people that it's a good addition to BPU, but I don't want to further increase lag. I plan to go single eventually which is why I was originally thinking it would be a good idea...

So what's the general consensus? Should I wait until I actually went single to get an FMIC and stick with the SMIC for now? Or is the additional lag really not that noticeable on the road?

I pretty much thought I had made my mind up on this, but now I'm not so sure. Thanks a lot for the info peeps... really appreciated.

The extra lag is certainly noticeable for me.

Just fitted mine, a toyo sport FMIC and the fit is v.good for a cheap Kit. It has a 3" thick core and looks the dogs. I havnt noticed any difference in power or lag to be honest. It's the first FMI I have had and once you take it for a hard run and get out the car and feel the core the left hand side is warm and the right hand side is v.cold so I assume it's doing it's job. I wish I had got one sooner. Here's a pics in this thread of what it looks like fitted (without the bumper) I dont have any with it fitted yet post 11 first pic http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=187493 looks realy cool with the top secret front. I just dont know what to do with the front number plate. Iv left it off for the last couple of days as it looks much cleaner without.

No difference in spool time for me - me describing it as having 'perked up' was me feeling the power hit every bit as quick but harder for longer. I also noticed a real difference on those long motorway pulls where the car is more relentless in pulling to the red line. I think that is directly attributable to the increased volume of the IC when there's such a volume of air shifting through the IC.

Cheers,

Brian.