The mkiv Supra Owners Club

People who've dropped to 17's

jevansio

I had stock 16's when I bought my car!!!! Then to 19's. Not filled with confidence with the 19's but love the way they look. Might go 18's eventually................ until then...let it slide, let it slide, let it slide.....................

Warm rubber makes a huge difference to grip, side wall movement is really import for getting heat into the tyres, so the lower the profile the worse it gets. I know my car handles noticeably better than my 18's on the stock 17's. Too much time has passed to remember what the car handled like on 16" rims, my guess is it would have been better than the 17's.

my 19's always felt unsettled

before it was like it wanted to spit you off the road at the first opportunity

So when i eventually get to picking these wheels up (you about tomorrow evening :innocent: and i kill myself from sliding off, i can blame you? :D You spoken to the place doing the geo set up on their thoughts?

17's all the way for me, I may have been dreaming it but I couldn't tell if the grip was any better but the ride comfort improved. I have a straight A road where I cruise at 75 leptons and the road has small hump every 50 yds or so. The car seemed to smooth out with the 17's on bit I do agree that from a pure looks point of view, the bigger the better. That said, I prefer to stay on the road ;)

A few months back I had a MKIV TT in that I had to drive for some reason. Never really looked at it, just got in and drove off. It was a total joy, quite the nicest MKIV on our lousy local roads I'd driven in a very long time. When I got it back I had a quick nosey around it. 16 inch rims, decent tyres, correct offsets. The car was a revelation and brought back memories of my own, which was a giant killer on wet track days. I HONESTLY think 16 inch rims are the best way to go if you can forget "style" and want maximum grip in the average road conditions we all REALLY spend our time driving in, 90% of the time.

So when i eventually get to picking these wheels up (you about tomorrow evening :innocent: and i kill myself from sliding off, i can blame you? :D You spoken to the place doing the geo set up on their thoughts?

:D, at least you'll look good doing it :D

Not yet bud, blown turbo is too high on my list

Only thing with 17's is they look a bit naff imo, you have to get the car super low to make them look ok and then you have clearance issues.

spot on :thumbs: as with everything in life its a compromise, i think 18's are the best all round choice for looks and performance

I'm thinking of the Weds SA-70 at the mo. Any pics of bronze SA-70's on black Supras?

for what its worth my tyre fitter said the SA-70's in 18" were some of the lightest alloys he's ever handled, he was very impressed, feel free to photo shop my car black :D

My car came with 19's and i noticed the sliding from side to side sometimes at roundabouts and it can be quite scary..but for looks, you don't need to lower the car at all since it fills the gap between the arches.

Will you need to lower your car if you drop to 18s?

I HONESTLY think 16 inch rims are the best way to go if you can forget "style" and want maximum grip in the average road conditions we all REALLY spend our time driving in, 90% of the time.

Even forgoing the larger brakes? (assuming OEM 16)

I'd much sooner had the better stopping power under my 17"s. My old NA wasn't a patch on my TT in that department.

I would think that the weight of the wheel's and what tyre's were on the car would make the biggest differance, heavy 17's with ok tyre's won't be as good as a set of light weight 18's with good tyre's. I've had 18" Volk Ce28's and 19" PIAA rozza squala's on my car, and they didn't feel any differant to each other really. Both set's were light weight wheel's. I have never driven a Supra with 17's though. I doubt that you would be able to push hard enough to notice the differance between light weight 17's and 18's on our crap road's. I'd go for look's and keep to 18's.