The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto TT vs TT6 diff ratios

Homer

The jspec Auto TT LSD comes with a *02B diff

The jspec 6spd TT pre-facelift comes with a *02B diff

So, according to the information I have found the ratio on both are the same (3.769), the only difference being that the 6spd diff has the larger ring and pinion (which does not effect final drive ratio)

So why do I see and hear people wanting to fit an auto TT LSD to a 6spd car saying it's better suited to track driving (e.g. Ryan.G's build).

1) Are the diff ratios actually the same between the two cars?

2) If so, why do some people recommend the auto TT diff in place of the 6spd one for track cars? Are they wrong?

Didnt Pigs car have one of the highest tracktive efforts at SRR with the smaller setups?

Chassis Dyno Tractive Effort - What Is It?

Chassis dyno graphs display both power and tractive effort at the wheels - not power and torque like an engine dyno. Tractive effort is the force being applied at the tread of the tyres and is proportional to engine torque. It differs from torque because it takes into account the gearing of the drivetrain (gearbox, final drive and tyre diameter). Power runs are usually conducted in second or third gear, and the tractive effort graph can be plotted against either engine rpm or road speed at the wheels.

I was planning to swap my diff for a TT auto LSD one after reading up on it.

I was going by the ratio's posted by Alex on this thread: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=92658&highlight=final+drive+diff

Edited:

This is one of the threads that has caused confusion. Alex states the 3.2 diff ratio, but most other sites and epc (that nic posted before) list that ratio on the *03B diff and not the *02B diff installed on the pre facelift 6spd jspec.

However, on my epc it's listing the details from Darrens car as having a 3.2 diff ratio.

I'm confused, the info posted on various sites is conflicting :(

I have kept my auto diff with my V160 box. Using Quaifs calculator, and using my 8500 rpm limit, if I fit a UK manual diff I get a theoretical top speed of 245 mph, with the auto dif it is 212. So the shorter gearing should give better acceleration. I am sticking with the V160/ auto dif combo as I like the way it shortens the ratios. Fuel economy is not a factor at my level of tune. As for revs I estimate I am around 300rpm higher that it would be with a UK manual diff.

This info came from the NZ site re vin plate coded 01 (4.083:1), 02 (3.769:1), 03 (3.267:1)

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

Thanks Phil, the codes you mention are what I'd found on other sites and what I beleived to be correct (i.e. auto TT and 6spd TT are the same), but they don't tie up to the posts from Alex, nor my EPC, nor comments from Ryan and a few others here over the years.

For the purposes of this thread we're talking aboutn jspec only, the UK's are know to be higher ratio so will just ignore those for now :)

From a logical point of view the number on the axle code should relate to the final drive on the jspec cars but every search reveals another contradiction :conf:

So what about the 3.133 final drive EU spec? I couldn't see it in Nic's EPC.

Do you know the differences between pre-facelift and facelift 6spd diff's? I think I read one was bigger than the other, but is there a difference in final drive ratios? Or am I just adding to your diff confusion? :)

So what about the 3.133 final drive EU spec? I couldn't see it in Nic's EPC.

Do you know the differences between pre-facelift and facelift 6spd diff's? I think I read one was bigger than the other, but is there a difference in final drive ratios? Or am I just adding to your diff confusion? :)

No confusion on that, the exports are a different matter, I have all the ratio's on those, it's the jspecs that are confusing things :D

The 3.133 is for the export spec 6spd only. It has the same (larger) casing as the jspec pre-facelift 6spd diff, but the internals are different to the jspec. They are great for high speed cruising and have a huge potential top speed with an auto trans if you have the power to do it (230+ mph IIRC)

When i ran a auto tt diff for a short while the gearing was vastly different, id guess the car would top out at 170-180ish on the rev limit with the auto diff.

Wasn't that an NA LSD diff you had rather than the 02B auto diff? The genuine 6spd diff tops out at 198 mph at 6800rpm on the 6spd, so the speeds you quote (along with the rev limit you had) indicate it was an NA diff rather than a TT one.

Wasn't that an NA LSD diff you had rather than the 02B auto diff?

I might have this wrong as it was a long time ago now but iirc the auto diff was the one that was a straight fit (gearing very much closer) the na diff required a different prop?

Im sure when Dean (toquicktostop) changed from a auto diff to a manual diff he reported the same and also when going in chingys car its very noticable that the gearing is closer together, he is also on a auto diff.

I might have this wrong as it was a long time ago now but iirc the auto diff was the one that was a straight fit (gearing very much closer) the na diff required a different prop?

Im sure when Dean (toquicktostop) changed from a auto diff to a manual diff he reported the same and also when going in chingys car its very noticable that the gearing is closer together, he is also on a auto diff.

The NA and TT auto diffs are interchangeable as the casing is the same smaller one. Only the early 6spd cars came with the large diff casing (like your one should have now), and therefore need a different prop and one of the driveshafts.

Chingy and Deans cars are another matter as they are so modified it's a not a good thing to assume they have anything stock left in the drivetrain.. :( If the diff was changed, was it confirmed as coming from a UK or jspec car? Auto/manual?

This was never going to be an easy job to sort out, but it's turning into a nightmare! :D

Chingy and Deans cars are another matter as they are so modified it's a not a good thing to assume they have anything stock left in the drivetrain.. :(

True, you may have something there, if somebody lends me a auto diff and prop i will happily test it out to see if this is a forum wives tale.

How about an empirical test? The auto box is 1:1 in 3rd gear, and the 6sp is 1:1 in 5th... so if the diffs are the same you'd expect the same mph per revs in each. If the diffs are different, it's by about 15%, big enough to dwarf any innacuracies.

My money's on the EPC being correct, but then (from pretty much everything else I've read) I'd expect the ratio part of the code to be '03' for the 6sp... (assuming the car was 6sp when it left the factory...)

There is definatly a difference in the ratios guys. I have some logs of Tony's car which has had a 6sp conversion but still has the auto diff... His top speed in 6th at 6800 is only around 180mph.

Also another reason im sure is because everytime a supra with a auto diff comes on SRR, the RPM vs Speed always has to be changed alot from the normally supra ratio

Ryan

Guest 38super

I've never heard of a J-spec 6 speed, pre '96, with anything other than the big diff and the 3.266 ratio. The only way to have got the lower auto ratio would have been by factory ordered option.