The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nightmare replacing the oil filter

themodifiedkid

Has nobody figured that if you unbolt the power steering reservoir and just move it out of the way, it will give you enough access to remove the filter;)

:yeahthat: It took me almost an hour the first time I did one until I tried this. Makes it a very easy job.

I think the filter was installed without lubing the rubber sealing ring, so it burned on to the filter mount, it wasn't the thread that was too highly torqued.

You must not weigh much if it took your full weight on a breaker bar to bust a burned rubber seal :p

O no!

Why didnt you give me a bell i would have come and helped well i say helped not much use at things like that but i would have tried.

I must add that trying to do it with broken hand was never the best option

I was tempted bud, but I think you probably know how stubborn i am by now and was determined to do it all by myself :innocent: even with a broken wrist (just don't tell my doctor) lol

But as said on previous post on this thread i think it must have been over tightened, because even using the old long screw driver trick was still a right royal pain in the arse.

"He who dares...............Wins" :D

I was tempted bud, but I think you probably know how stubborn i am by now and was determined to do it all by myself :innocent: even with a broken wrist (just don't tell my doctor) lol

But as said on previous post on this thread i think it must have been over tightened, because even using the old long screw driver trick was still a right royal pain in the arse.

"He who dares...............Wins" :D

Any time you need a hand just shout me, worst i could have done was laugh alot.;)

I changed mine for the first time recently so this is the process I followed:

• Undo the power steering reservoir and move it
  • Put your hand in your pocket and pull out a fiver
  • Give this to your brother in law and tell him to swap the filters
  • Move back reservoir and tighten

Job done ;)