The mkiv Supra Owners Club

aero roof as seen on faf ?

RED_ROCKET

Owning an aero, i can see the bit in F&F being very feasible... unlike the rest of the film!! :D

The middle bolt only turns about half a full rotation to lock / unlock, and it's not heavy in the slightest. Puching that up and then hitting the air moving over the car would certainly make it slow very fast as the car moves away making it look like he's punched it miles backwards :)

As for the ball ache of removing the roof etc.... it just gives you more time to pose as you take your top off! :D Its not the best system for ease of use, but it's certainly secure when it's on. In addtion; you have the option of just locking it with the single middle bolt when parked up, meaning the only time you need to (ignoring security) lock all bolts securley is when driving with the roof on.... Having just said all that and going through it logically..... It's actually a really good system! :D

P.s, the bolts also seem to pull the window section, roof and rear window section together tightly as you screw then together. This could explain why Toyo used this system because it certainly ensures extra rigidity (screw the roof section together), rather than jsut placing the roof into the slot like in the MR2 and ensureing it doesn't fly out :search:

I would have thought they didn't make it like the MR2 because in the MR2 you can easily take 1 panel off at a time by moving the handle down, lifting the panel, and putting the handle back into position.

If they did it on the aero, whereby the handles would be on each side of the aerotop, there would have to be some system where the handle stays down otherwise the pins will ping back out and hold that side of the roof in place. If the handle did stay down and then you ran round the other side to undo the other handle and lift the roof out, you would then have 2 handles sticking down which you would somehow have to put back so it fits in the boot fine

That make any sense???

Meh,

I dont even lock the middle section when shopping, just dump the roof on and lock the car.

It still takes me an age to get the dam thing out and into the boot. I will learn in time i guess

When I got my very first aerotop it took me like half an hour to get the boot catches to release the roof as when you pull them up, it didn't drop down, very annoying, I think I have got the knack after my 4th aerotop now though :D

Depends on the condition of your boot roof holders as to how quick you can get it in and out I have found. Also if you have the original tool and the screws have all the thread on them that helps alot.

Ok here's the scene... Brian is chasing after the truck and needs to get the roof off the Supra in order to rescue Vince, who desperately need help! So Brian pulls over to remove the roof. Having never taken the top off before, he fiddles with it for around 10 minutes with Mia shouting at him to hurry up, before finally getting the damn thing off! :D He then opens the boot and realises that there is no where secure to store the roof panel as eveeything has been removed and replaced with a sound systen and a couple of NOS bottles! So he places the roof panel in as best he can to ensure it doesn't get scratched, before jumping back in the Supe and chasing after the truck... Again, only to find Vince's corpse hanging from the truck, and a few Civics scattered accross the highway!

Some how I don't think this would have worked so well in the world of Hollywood! Unless it was a F&F spoof... In which case it's a winner! :D

When I got my very first aerotop it took me like half an hour to get the boot catches to release the roof as when you pull them up, it didn't drop down, very annoying, I think I have got the knack after my 4th aerotop now though :D

Depends on the condition of your boot roof holders as to how quick you can get it in and out I have found. Also if you have the original tool and the screws have all the thread on them that helps alot.

The original tool is naf, i had bought a new one from Nic and have to say i'm pretty disappointed.

The original tool is naf, i had bought a new one from Nic and have to say i'm pretty disappointed.

I've found that the original ratchet tool thingy is the best thing I've used to do that job, and I have tried alternatives, but that's definitely the quickest, if you know how to work it properly ;)

i recently bought a new tool from toyota world in tamworth total cost of about £21, was great for removing the roof, but you have to treat it with care cause the plastic breaks and then the ratchet becomes shady.

the problem with the aero roof is it needs to be tight fit cause of the chassis design, dont think we will see a quick fit roof, im sure the FATF roof was rather noisey and rattly on that certain drive that only required a punch off ;)