The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coolant Problem

Fitz

AFR is in Gatwick - shouldn't be too big a bill to have it flat-bedded to from Saarf Laaandon?

Will have a look into it, AFR or whifbitz seems to be my best options. lol "Saarf Laaandon"

good luck mate hope its nothing too bad :thumbs: keep us posted

Will do Dean. :)

Edited by Fitz (see edit history)

• 5 weeks later...

Right, to continue on from before. I purchased a new rad cap from Whifbitz (nice and shiny :D) and made sure that the expansion tank was full and also that the radiator was full too.

So after not checking it for about a week (whilst using it). I checked under the bonnet to check the levels. Everything seems normal, still full on the expansion tank etc. However, about another week on (Today) there was no coolant left in the tank and the radiator was not full :S

Any solutions? There are no apparent leaks on the pipework or patches on the floor when I drive off IIRC

Water Pump? If so, where is all the coolant/water going?

Any help guys? Becoming rather annoying/costly. Plus, I don't really want to cause damage to the Supra either through Overheating or an alternative component. As I'm sure the coolant is going somewhere.

Anything at all would help (besides Irrelevance :eyebrows: you know who you are)

hi mate ! don't know if it's any help to you but i had the same problem more then a year , every 3-4 days i had to add water-coolant it was a pain in the .., a toyota rad cap from a toyota local dealer solved the problem after maney spent on a new exp tank , garage trips...

I haven't checked the rest of the thread (apologies), but sometimes you can have coolant leaks only when the cooling system warms up: the expansion duie to heat can open up a hairline crack and let coolant drip out when you're motoring. Easiest way to diagnose that is to get a garage to do a pressure test on the cooling system. That should show up any weak points.

Cheers for the response guys :thumbs:

hi mate ! don't know if it's any help to you but i had the same problem more then a year , every 3-4 days i had to add water-coolant it was a pain in the .., a toyota rad cap from a toyota local dealer solved the problem after maney spent on a new exp tank , garage trips...

Already bought a new rad cap and fitted it (as stated) but the problem persists.

Best bet is to take it to a garage a Stevie B said and get them to do a pressure test on the cooling system.

Although, if anyone else seems to have an idea/opinion on the matter. I would be most grateful. :)

Edited by Fitz (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Still while I've been busy with work and Exams etc, I took some time out to check to see if I could locate where the leak was coming from.

Saw a patch of fluid on the floor and on the undertray and when I checked under the car, I could see it actually dripping out... :(

Jacked the car up a bit so to see if I could find where it was leaking from?

Now, as I do not have the tools, equiptment or space for that matter to jack the car up fully and get right under there whilst removing the undertray I had to do a limited guess.

Now it appears on appearance that no pipes are leaking (although there is a LARGE amount I could not see)

Spoke to the old man about the problem (as he is more automotively minded) and he said until it gets jacked up properly etc. its hard to tell but he reckons it could be the 'Core Plug'

I will eventually get it to a garage, but I'd like to know what is exactly leaking/broken.

Attached is the photo showing the patch.

25052009388.jpg

Now I know the picture doesn't give you idea of where it might be coming from, but the car has been parked there since last night and that's the amount of coolant lost. - Quite a bit!

Any help or comments would be grateful.

Cheers,

Cliff

Thanks bud, I'm down in Roehampton (Near Kingston). Southwest London. But, if you're willing to take a look at it for me I don't mind coming to you. If it's more convenient.

I appreciate the offer.

Any help or comments would be grateful.

Cheers,

Cliff

If you could remove the exhaust manifold heat shield x4 10/12mm bolts then you should be able to see the source or at least narrow the area down by looking in from above?

If you could remove the exhaust manifold heat shield x4 10/12mm bolts then you should be able to see the source or at least narrow the area down by looking in from above?

I imagine that would help, although it is apparent that the leak is coming from underneath. So not sure how much help it would give me. The coolant is leaking out and dripping on to the torsion bar/strut.

Do you know if there are any Core plugs in the bottom of the engine block or near opposite the sumps?

Thanks for the advice though Scooter :thumbs: most appreciated

I imagine that would help, although it is apparent that the leak is coming from underneath. So not sure how much help it would give me. The coolant is leaking out and dripping on to the torsion bar/strut.

But wherever its leaking it will end up coming out from underneath!

Do you know if there are any Core plugs in the bottom of the engine block or near opposite the sumps?

There are 5 in a row........they are not that near the bottom of the block. There is a coolant pipe, metal not rubber that runs horizontally down the whole side of the block from just underneath the distributor and the core plugs are behind this at roughly that height.

Somehow though, it's getting onto the fan, and spraying over the front of the engine and the adjacent cooling pipe. This narrows is down quite alot.

I reckon, the rad has split (common as muck) around the top coolant hose. Its then running down to the fan and getting flicked up while the engine is running.

If the rad has cracked, you probably wouldn't notice a leak until it had warmed up and under pressure.

I went to a meet once at bluewater, suprasurj did the whole 'lift the bonnet and look at my bling' that everyone does, he wasn't too happy when I pointed out the bubbles coming out of an invisible fracture in the top of his rad. :D

A good way of finding leaks is using a UV dye kit. You pour a little bit into your coolant, then run the engine, you then hold a UV lamp around the engine looking for glowing blobs of water.

Edited by pistonbroke (see edit history)