The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new install; HKS T04Z from a T67DBB first impressions

Mike B

HI Mike,

How did the vpro handle the changes

Thinking of swapping to a 67DBB

I get a stick for not getting it remapped every time, and I know it should... be to get the best from the setup, yet I have used 4 tubs on the vpro now and it adapts fine, Is your Vpro is using the same mao as mine? If so it's creator sits in Canada and is willing to come over and tweak it for a price. I have spoken to him a few times and he has upgrades to the original program, but they would need the next model Vpro... it all starts getting expensive... The Program is set to adjust fuelling 90% of it's map figure, which is pretty radical, as I found when my o2 sensor cracked off. It leaned out to the point it would barely run.

I'm waiting for Ryan to get a Vpro hack, :sly:

Essentially my fuelling is spot on and I have det monitors in the car which are fine. Im sure we could get it better, but I had no issues whatsoever. No det, egt low, throttle response good for such a big turbo - a lot better with the cast manifold too.

I've always run a .68AR on my T67's and have been happy with it, it doesn't feel like it's choking at stock redline or a bit beyond - what did you mean by "not happy"? What would you say the difference is with the .86AR? I doubt it'd spool faster as it's a bigger housing and turbo physics isn't supposed to work that way.

The best analogy I can give is that it felt like the engine was trying to breathe through a straw. There were fractional spooling time gains in low rpm swith the '68 coming to pressure faster, ie put your foot down in 6th and the spool would build slightly quicker, but once at pressure the '86 had more, even at low revs... At the top end of the upper gears it was a different car.

When I bought the T67 I had the forethought to buy the '68, '86 and '95 divided housings. I never got to the biggest housing as the '86 I felt was the answer. True it's slightly slower to spool, but only fractionally, and as soon as you push up the rev range the power increase (I felt) was dramatic. egt's dropped as well. I was running 1.5 bar and the car felt alive by comparison. With the CW suspension and geo I doubt the chassis could comfortably take much more.

On the '68 the power didn't really fade like it did on the GT35R '68 housing combo, but certainly didn't climb with the revs.. the '86 housing felt like it had new lungs above 5k. It was a lot more powerful and ran cooler, a gentle power gain right up to the redline.

When I bought the GT4088R it came with a '96 divided housing and the lag was laughable. True it went like the clappers when spooled, but you could make a cup of tea between gear changes. A smaller housing helped a lot but then it pushed the egt up, resulting in GT4088R nibbling at Marham. That's when I knew to start playing with housings as the difference was dramatic.

The T04Z and T67 are about the same size (just one is shiny and costs twice as much :D ) so I was somewhat expecting this to be an annoying thread where it was 'a hundred times better' :) Imagine my pleasant surprise when an honest review sprung up!

Ha ha... I have been through a lot of tubbies and housings lately, so have a fair bit of comparison knowledge I guess. The fact the Vpro cuts down the mapping costs helps.

The To4Z feels like a very late spooling version of the T67 with the '68 housing on.

Go on Ian, swap that housing.. I think you'll find a big difference!!

Cheap mod to do for a possible big gain, and if you are not happy sell it on and put the old map back on :)

Hi Mike,

I've also spoken to Reg a few times but it doesn't seem that the upgrade to the v.34 is worth it at the moment, plus He's not cheap. The last time I spoke to him the newer version was around £500 on its own. Although he did say that our maps were quite aggressive in regard to ignition timing as Terry was only using 99 ron or above fuel.

Mine is like yours though....no det and you can feel when the vvti ecu decides your going a bit mad.

maybe another chat with Reg is on the cards:eyebrows:

John

Looks like you have saved me some pennies mike as I was looking at the T04Z :thumbs:

Its a shame your ECU has no way of logging the difference to compare though.

True, numbers are always very popular.. I wish it could but Vpro will only log with the dealer softwear.

I had Ryan on the phone, it's tempting to go solaris, as it does more than Vpro, and Ryan is on hand,

although cheaper to swap than I thought the Vpro is still going strong.

Maybe when I sell this amazing T04Z for mega bucks I can afford it!

Go on Ian, swap that housing.. I think you'll find a big difference!!

Cheap mod to do for a possible big gain, and if you are not happy sell it on and put the old map back on :)

Hmm, how much and where from? With summer coming I feel a back to back test coming on ;)

-Ian

must say i'm suprised, i have been in a friends 2.8 skyline running the t04z and it made full boost by 3000 revs and pulled hard all the way until the redline, power wise it was making over 600 bhp!! ive only had experience of the T61 so cant comment on the t67

Mike

must say i'm suprised, i have been in a friends 2.8 skyline running the t04z and it made full boost by 3000 revs and pulled hard all the way until the redline, power wise it was making over 600 bhp!! ive only had experience of the T61 so cant comment on the t67

Mike

True the liners love em, but full boost by 3000 rpm, that's had to believe - and 600hp is a lot for a liner. I had an R34 and it's stockers would barely spool to that and it only made 400!! My 35R was full boost by 3.8 maybe in a big gear, but this to4 is unimpressive.

I'll run it some more and change back, then I'll know for sure.

True the liners love em, but full boost by 3000 rpm, that's had to believe - and 600hp is a lot for a liner. I had an R34 and it's stockers would barely spool to that and it only made 400!! My 35R was full boost by 3.8 maybe in a big gear, but this to4 is unimpressive.

I'll run it some more and change back, then I'll know for sure.

its a really high spec r33, 6 speed seq box etc etc, think it made 620 with the aem ecu but the car never ran right so was put bck on the fcon and makes around 600 on that.

i would say its a mapping issue but if your happy with the t67 then thats the one for you :)

I can't see how it can be a mapping issue, can you expand on that please.

well from what the car owner has said its had lots of changes since it was first mapped so i would guess that one map for one setup with a turbo would not be accurate for another?? could be wrong?

its a really high spec r33, 6 speed seq box etc etc, think it made 620 with the aem ecu but the car never ran right so was put bck on the fcon and makes around 600 on that.

It's a bit rich coming from me who started this thread with a complete lack of data aside my bum dyno, but unless your friends car is using two rb26's on the same turbo I'm calling that full boost at 3k sounds very fishy!!! (unless full boost is 0'5 bar).

would love to see the dyno though... if it's true I'll quite happily have a large slice of humble pie, and be so gobsmacked I doubt I'd be able to chew.. :)

Edited by Mike B (see edit history)

It's a bit rich coming from me who started this thread with a complete lack of data aside my bum dyno, but unless your friends car is using two rb26's on the same turbo I'm calling that full boost at 3k sounds very fishy!!! (unless full boost is 0'5 bar).

would love to see the dyno though... if it's true I'll quite happily have a large slice of humble pie, and be so gobsmacked I doubt I'd be able to chew.. :)

just had a look at the full spec of the skyline and he does run with some nos so maybe its with the nos's help that it hits full boost by 3000 revs? sorry for any confusion ;)

Also just checked and his car made 580 awhp so 700 at the fly ish

Mike

Edited by mkirby (see edit history)

just had a look at the full spec of the skyline and he does run with some nox so maybe its with the nos's help that it hits full boost by 3000 revs? sorry for any confusion ;)

Also just checked and his car made 580 awhp so 700 at the fly ish

Mike

Sounds like and interesting car to be fair... I'm actually impressed, as I have heard about people using nox to spool, but never met anyone who has done it.

I could get 2 bar out of mine at 2.5k...

with some semtex in the the manifold ;)

T67DBB is a great turbo, followed Jamie a few times now comes on boost quick and pulls like a train. Out of interest what RPM was u making full boost on the T04z

I'd say that on my setup I was hitting 1.4 bar by around 4.3 maybe in 3rd, dropping to 4 on 5th.

Need to keep my eyes looking where I am going as I don't have the multitasking ability to do both!

car has been in the garage for a while and i'm convinced the tyres have gone off. RLTC is getting a workout trying to clean them up :innocent:

I ran a T88 on my R32 and had a rebuild including a T04Z turbo and JUN 2.7 stroker, it made 700 BHP on the dyno at TDI in Essex at 1.8 bar, I loved that turbo

http://www.putfile.com/pic/5896726

bet that was awesome :cool:, must agree very pleased with my set up

I'd say that on my setup I was hitting 1.4 bar by around 4.3 maybe in 3rd, dropping to 4 on 5th.

Need to keep my eyes looking where I am going as I don't have the multitasking ability to do both!

say thats pretty much bag on 4.3 @ 1.4bar

had a slight blow on that graph

• 2 years later...