The mkiv Supra Owners Club

0-60

gt4tosupra

Where in lancashire you from, If you're close I could take you for a spin in mine, Its an Auto but you should get an Idea of the 0-60 N/A, Still beats alot of the cars that would try to race me but its not the kinda car you can just through round the streets and expect it to keep traction. I Dont drive fast all most of the time because of corners or even slight bends in the road.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is 0-60 time actually a useful metric for anything at all?

It's not even really related to actual distance covered - my Supra was doing about 5s 0-60 - almost identical to a friend's BMW M-Coupe, but the M-Coupe covered a damn sight more ground in that time. We would both be hitting 60 in 5s, but he would be comfortably ahead of me.

Perhaps I am being dumb here (Usually the case) but if car A got to 60 miles per hour in 6 seconds and car B got to 60 mph in 6 seconds surely the same distance has been covered since they take the same time period of reach the same speed?

Edit: nEVER MIND. aNSWERED BELOW:

LOL - no. Sorry. Would be true if all cars had linear acceleration. But they don't.

Imagine an extreme scenario:

Car 1 pulls away, increasing speed by 10mph/s. After 6 seconds, he is travelling at 60mph, at an average speed of 30mph. (this is the - altered for simplicity - N/A M-Coupe)

Car 2 has no power at low speed, so in the first 5s, he is still only doing 10mph. At that point his power kicks in and delivers immense power, accelerating him from 10mph to 60mph in one second flat. (this is the - exagerated again - twin turbo Supra!) Over the 6s second period, the car only averaged 10mph.

So 6 seconds later, both cars are now doing 60mph (they have the same 0-60 time), but the first car travelled about 80m and the second car only 27m.

C'mon - this is basic physics! ;)

Edited by marbleapple (see edit history)

i think 0-60 is very relevant, more so than a cars bhp due to the difference in a cars weight. 0-60 is key to how fast a car will shift. my gt4 is 260bhp but wastes power in driving all 4 wheels. i'm thinking that if an NA with standard 220bhp is only driving th rear wheels then i'm hoping that 0-60 could or should be similar to my gt4, 6.0. i used to have a celica gt, 0-60 was only 7.5, hell of a lot slower!

I think you are forgetting about the difference in weight.

If you want a fast 0-60 buy an MR2 turbo, fit it with drag suspension, road legal drag tyres, strip everything not necessary out of the car and go for BPU to get around 300bhp (rev3+).

Not a lot of cars will keep up with an MR2 off the line.... when driven right. Getting the sweetspot for a launch is bloody hard though.

not my thing aren't mr2's, one blew up on me! big coupe's is where its at! +RWD for oversteer! MR2 was to small to get a good drift!

So why go on about 0-60 then? There are much faster cars to tune for 0-60. Not very many that can do 60+ quite as well as the sup though.

i think 0-60 is very relevant, more so than a cars bhp due to the difference in a cars weight. 0-60 is key to how fast a car will shift. my gt4 is 260bhp but wastes power in driving all 4 wheels. i'm thinking that if an NA with standard 220bhp is only driving th rear wheels then i'm hoping that 0-60 could or should be similar to my gt4, 6.0. i used to have a celica gt, 0-60 was only 7.5, hell of a lot slower!

I take it you are only going to be driving at 60 then;)

most sports cars are more or less the same speed to 60
:rolleyes:

The 0-60 time is just an easily available and memorable performance figure that you can use to compare one car with another, that's obviously why people want to know what it is even if it isn't that relevant to actual driving conditions.

A 30-70 time or something like that would be better if it was readily available.

Edited by merckx (see edit history)

Yes but 0-60 is better for the younger lot whose cars wont do much more than 60mph, You could'nt do a 30-100+ in a shabby 106/nova/paxo Thats why its such a popular term.

Ahem, i've had my 106 off the clock (140 is the clock max) i'll have you know :tongue:

On a private runway of course :D

:rolleyes:

The 0-60 time is just an easily available and memorable performance figure that you can use to compare one car with another, that's obviously why people want to know what it is even if it isn't that relevant to actual driving conditions.

A 30-70 time or something like that would be better if it was readily available.

So with that thinking my mate has a Ford Focus Rs with 265hp and his car is more or less the same speed to 60 as my car which has 500+hp, so does that mean that his Focus is as quick as my Supra nope it does not!:rolleyes:

The majority of drivers will never get the best out of their cars due to their own inability not the cars, I put myself well in this bracket as well, so 0-60 times are a waste of time, the only way you can get the pub bragging rights you are looking for is to go head to head and see where you end up if it's that important.

I am running reasonable bhp and my car is probably capable of a respectable 0-60 but I am sure there are many drivers that could beat me on the track with inferior cars but superior skills.

An st205 gt4 is quicker than the n/a 0 -60, I know as my mate has a standard one and we tried, beyond that sort of speed there isn't anything between them.