The mkiv Supra Owners Club

0-60 question

supraspeed

Bit unfair comparing to a car that costs as much as a 997 turbo but i would still fancy my chances.

I wouldnt fancy your chances at all.

Those things are unbelievably quick .

We (me Matt and friends) went out for a play with a 997 carrera.It was suprisingly quick against the single supra until very high speeds.

The 997 turbo blows the carrera into oblivion too!

Just looked up the spec and they are faster than i thought tbh, but given the price it should be.

Very similar to mine, i did consistant (about 6 in a row) 11.7 1/4 @ 126mph and my 0-100 was almost the same at 7.7.

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo:

Weight: 3,514 lbs

BHP: 480

Torque: 502lb-ft

0-60mph: 3.4 seconds

0-100mph: 7.8 seconds

0-150mph: 19.1 seconds

1/4 mile: 11.7 seconds at 121 mph

I wouldnt fancy your chances at all.

Those things are unbelievably quick .

We (me Matt and friends) went out for a play with a 997 carrera.It was suprisingly quick against the single supra until very high speeds.

The 997 turbo blows the carrera into oblivion too!

:yeahthat:

What if you put semi-slicks on the Porsche?

Just looked up the spec and they are faster than i thought tbh, but given the price it should be.

Very similar to mine, i did consistant (about 6 in a row) 11.7 1/4 @ 126mph and my 0-100 was almost the same at 7.7.

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo:

Weight: 3,514 lbs

BHP: 480

Torque: 502lb-ft

0-60mph: 3.4 seconds

0-100mph: 7.8 seconds

0-150mph: 19.1 seconds

1/4 mile: 11.7 seconds at 121 mph

Mmmm, bit faster than I thought too, scrap my last comment :D

You can see something interesting tho, Auto's much more consistently achieving good 0-60 times.

What can this mean?

Dare I say that the auto is obviously superior in this area...:eyebrows:

As far as straight lines go auto is always going to win, unless the manual driver is very very very good and consistent.

Different when it comes to twisteys though.

You really think that a manual is quicker than dsg??

Going up gears? No, its going down the gears for a corner on hard braking with a bit of heel toe that lets down the auto's.

5th to 2nd takes a second in a manual how long does it take in a fancy box?

For me there is no argument.The 997 will beat the supra 0-60 hands down unless it has drag tyres/drag set up like TDR's .Or serious power with some ET streets or drag radials.The more power you have the harder it is to lay down.

Toyo 888's dont cut the mustard for me as a 0-60 tyre compared to a drag tyre.You havr to remember the 997 comes out of the factory and does the 3.4 0-60 without fancy drag tyres.Although very expensive its an Awesome machine!

Going up gears? No, its going down the gears for a corner on hard braking with a bit of heel toe that lets down the auto's.

5th to 2nd takes a second in a manual how long does it take in a fancy box?

Sorry I forgot that Formula 1 cars still run archaic stick shifts!

I will now just assume that you know nothing about cars.

Sorry I forgot that Formula 1 cars still run archaic stick shifts!

I will now just assume that you know nothing about cars.

lol, another keyboard warrior.

They have formula 1 gearboxes in 997 turbo's now?

Anyway, since you have thrown down the gauntlet, how many motorsports use auto's? I guess rallying would be much faster with an auto box?

Edit: Just looked at your garage, that explains that then. No need to throw the toys out the pram.

lol, another keyboard warrior.

They have formula 1 gearboxes in 997 turbo's now?

Anyway, since you have thrown down the gauntlet, how many motorsports use auto's? I guess rallying would be much faster with an auto box?

Edit: Just looked at your garage, that explains that then. No need to throw the toys out the pram.

Keyboard warrior lol.

I would say any of this to your face you are a loser.

Chill out guys, its only a freindly car debate, i still dont know we are comparing a 2007 997 turbo that cost over 100grand to a 15 yo Supra, id have the Porsche anyday but as i said in my first statement a well setup Supra with a decent driver can hold its own imo.

Fair comment P.:D

Chill out guys, its only a freindly car debate, i still dont know we are comparing a 2007 997 turbo that cost over 100grand to a 15 yo Supra, id have the Porsche anyday but as i said in my first statement a well setup Supra with a decent driver can hold its own imo.

Totally agree, the Porsche has modern technology on its side, and has developed from a long line of successful sports cars. You can't beat stock modern high power cars.

Our M5 whilst not a Porsche killer, will out drive most cars on the road, while inside it is like sitting in a comfortable front room with four people all able to enjoy quite conversation, while the oposition is probably being deafened while wrestelling with their car to keeping it right on the edge, in an effort to keep up.

Back to the auto MKIV, up to road legal speed limits, it will out drag a 6 speed of similar power evey time. Toyota produced a masterpiece when they built the A340E, it's only downside, from the modification point of view, is that unlike the rest of the car, it can't really be modified to take more then 500 bhp.