ajazyasin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steve W's mkiii is running 7 second 1/4 miles with an XS-power GT45

and an Xs-power wastegate, with lots of 8 second runs..

seems china (USA) crap does work?

It's hardly comparible considering the chassis it's fitted to. Last time I spoke to Steve he said it was not off the shelf. One thing is for sure, it's not that copy "GT45" truck turbo on the ebay adds.

The turbo in that last pic is tiny for what'd be needed for a true 1000bhp. To my knowledge Steve's car never went on a reputable dyno, he had a tubbed shell and supra body parts layed over it with massive drag wheel and fixed rear. It's about as far from a car as you can get, a dedicated tack car that would undrivable on the road.

This is more like the size you'd expect to see for a car with potential for 1000bhp: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=12779

The compressor housing alone is wider than the engine block!

It's hardly comparible considering the chassis it's fitted to. Last time I spoke to Steve he said it was not off the shelf. One thing is for sure, it's not that copy "GT45" truck turbo on the ebay adds.

Darryl that wasnt my point mate ;) i know the cars tubbed. when i first seen the pics of the build, the engine was sporting the xs-power turbo. I assumed he was using it until i noticed the gt4508r in the new pics.

One of the nicest 1000hp supras ive worked with is T51r Kai powered, still one of my fav turbo's out there:d

Edited by bondango (see edit history)

This is more like the size you'd expect to see for a car with potential for 1000bhp: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=12779

The compressor housing alone is wider than the engine block!

funny how that doesn't look much bigger than my ol' T78!

Edited by ajazyasin (see edit history)

Darryl that wasnt my point mate ;) i know the cars tubbed. when i first seen the pics of the build, the engine was sporting the xs-power turbo. I assumed he was using it until i noticed the gt4508r in the new pics.

One of the nicest 1000hp supras ive worked with is T51r Kai powered, still one of my fav turbo's out there:d

I know Marty, was a bit unsure whether to question what you'd hinted at as you know your turbos better than most here :)

funny how that doesn't look much bigger than my ol' T78!

On that you are oh so wrong, the GT42* is massive compared to the T78 or T88 greddy turbos. If you ever see them alongside, there is an absolutely enormous difference.

Garrett GT42 and the XS power GT45 are not at all comparible in terms of size or power rating. The GT45 XS one is actually smaller than the GT42 RS.

The naming conventions are not the same for all manufacturers, thankfully the garrett range do make sense!

Yup was under the impression that the Garret was bigger anyhow ;), was just saying the 42 is a big enough turbo to make a nice drag car as well.

Speaking of which, what was the CRD Supra running back in it's hay-day?...

I know the gt42 is bigger. I was just comenting on how the pics look similar in size.

Maybe we are looking at different pictures, but the GT42 one looks far larger. I've seen many of these in real life and the GT42 is simply in another league to those old greddy truck turbo's on terms of overall size, mostly on the compressor housing.

Have you seen the two side by side in real life fella? There is a seriously big difference. Anyway, it's getting off topic, you're asking about a turbo that would deliver 1000bhp with a reasonable spool, with which the responses have hopefully provided an answer :)

Jamie, Steves car is tunning a Borg Warner Airwerks extended tip S480 from Mikes Turbos in florida. He had been using the GT45 until it ran out of puff.

As for the HKS T51r Kai, they say lots of things on supraforums as you know. Personally i think Its a great 1000+ capable turbo, its reliable, and its proven time and time again to do the job. On the right engine its an outstanding turbo IMHO

Compared to the old non Dbb large frame turbos such as the Greddy T88 which are indeed old technology its years ahead in a world of its own.

The thing is, I am going to be getting Ryan to do the mapping on this car and dont want to have to call him to Edinburgh twice! Im sure the t78 when fully mapped will put a v.big smile on my face but for similar spool characteristics, you could have a monster of a turbo sitting in there.

Jamie, Steves car is tunning a Borg Warner Airwerks extended tip S480 from Mikes Turbos in florida. He had been using the GT45 until it ran out of puff.

As for the HKS T51r Kai, they say lots of things on supraforums as you know. Personally i think Its a great 1000+ capable turbo, its reliable, and its proven time and time again to do the job. On the right engine its an outstanding turbo IMHO

Compared to the old non Dbb large frame turbos such as the Greddy T88 which are indeed old technology its years ahead in a world of its own.

You would need a T51 SPL to get near 1000hp the KAI wouldn't do it.

The BB T51's are really good turbos, the only reason the yanks dont rate them is they are expensive and they all wont 1200hp+ lol :)