The mkiv Supra Owners Club

6 speed conversion current demand & price

Scooter

• 3 weeks later...

So (forgive my noobishness) for arguments sake, an SZ-R (6 speed manual) owner like me broke their gearbox, how much would I be looking at for parts alone?

This £2500 business is parts & labour to convert a non-6 speed into a 6 speed, right?

Also is my 6 speed box all that great, or is this the TTs manual gearbox were talking about (Oi! Stop laughing at the back there!) ?

Edited by Dave_SZ-R
Cant spell (see edit history)

So (forgive my noobishness) for arguments sake, an SZ-R (6 speed manual) owner like me broke their gearbox, how much would I be looking at for parts alone?

This £2500 business is parts & labour to convert a non-6 speed into a 6 speed, right?

Also is my 6 speed box all that great, or is this the TTs manual gearbox were talking about (Oi! Stop laughing at the back there!) ?

the n/a 6 speed is the same box as the tt

Thought the n/a was the 6spd geared to 150mph and the TT was 200mph

V160 and V161 ????

Not so, the V160 was fitted to the early TT's, the V161 fitted to the later TT's and NA's. The V161 has a slightly closer gear ratio.

The difference is with the final drive ratio (diff) as Jamie mentioned earlier in the thread. The NA final drive is around 4.1, the TT around 3.3

Edit - meh, too slow!

Not so, the V160 was fitted to the early TT's, the V161 fitted to the later TT's and NA's. The V161 has a slightly closer gear ratio.

The difference is with the final drive ratio (diff) as Jamie mentioned earlier in the thread. The NA final drive is around 4.1, the TT around 3.3

Edit - meh, too slow!

So, with mine being a 97 n/a, Ill have a V161 then? I take it I dont want to break this? Read something about this being specially made for the mkiv Supra, and thus pretty rare bits-wise. Stop me if Im talking nonsense...

So, with mine being a 97 n/a, Ill have a V161 then? I take it I dont want to break this? Read something about this being specially made for the mkiv Supra, and thus pretty rare bits-wise. Stop me if Im talking nonsense...

if you keep oil in it you will not break it, look at Jamie's car and many other gearboxes out there that put up with much greater torque than our NA's can muster.........

..........so yes, you don't want it to break, but even if you tried too you'll probably break everything else before it :D

if you keep oil in it you will not break it, look at Jamie's car and many other gearboxes out there that put up with much greater torque than our NA's can muster.........

..........so yes, you don't want it to break, but even if you tried too you'll probably break everything else before it :D

Good stuff, I wondered why it was so desireable... I get a slight 'clonking' (great word) while rolling in 1st, 2nd and reverse and I depress the clutch, and also when I switch the engine off. Not sure what this is, but Im aware of one other SZ-R owner who has a similar issue (hasnt sorted it to my knowledge). Any ideas chaps?

Good stuff, I wondered why it was so desireable... I get a slight 'clonking' (great word) while rolling in 1st, 2nd and reverse and I depress the clutch, and also when I switch the engine off. Not sure what this is, but Im aware of one other SZ-R owner who has a similar issue (hasnt sorted it to my knowledge). Any ideas chaps?

The gearboxes are incredibly strong and as a result can be a bit agricultural (as is often quoted on here). Clunks are to be expected in low gears or when going to reverse, unless the whole car is noticably jolting it'll be normal.

I cut'n'pasted an old post i made to a similarly concerned new 6 speed NA owner :)

"mine does this..................its been in the family for 5-6yrs and has always been like this..........

my observations:-

cold starting, the car will idle at approx 1500rpm and will not be as smooth at low speed manoeuvres and you will experience some transmission jerk/clunk.

with clutch up the car/gearbox will rattle to a stop when you turn the car off.

Rapidly bringing the clutch up to the bite point (don't make a habit of this btw!) will produce a clunk.......

mines on 90K miles and the original clutch/flywheel......

IMO worse case scenario is when the clutch finally gives up then all new bearings and flywheel will be required but it makes sense to do that stuff then anyway..............with only 220bhp running through it all its life i cannot see the box itself being a problem long term.

i can see you perhaps having an issue with buyers being put off, i wouldn't be but i have one and know what its like and how its very unlikely to be the start of something serious/expensive but i couldn't really argue with Joe bloggs off the street being cautious."

I cut'n'pasted an old post i made to a similarly concerned new 6 speed NA owner :)

"mine does this..................its been in the family for 5-6yrs and has always been like this..........

my observations:-

cold starting, the car will idle at approx 1500rpm and will not be as smooth at low speed manoeuvres and you will experience some transmission jerk/clunk.

with clutch up the car/gearbox will rattle to a stop when you turn the car off.

Rapidly bringing the clutch up to the bite point (don't make a habit of this btw!) will produce a clunk.......

mines on 90K miles and the original clutch/flywheel......

IMO worse case scenario is when the clutch finally gives up then all new bearings and flywheel will be required but it makes sense to do that stuff then anyway..............with only 220bhp running through it all its life i cannot see the box itself being a problem long term.

i can see you perhaps having an issue with buyers being put off, i wouldn't be but i have one and know what its like and how its very unlikely to be the start of something serious/expensive but i couldn't really argue with Joe bloggs off the street being cautious."

Cheers Scooter, the 'helpful' bit certainly is true. Thanks for reminding me that Im one of the n/a crowd there ;) cant afford the TT at the mo (not if I want holidays, clothes, mortage, food, bills, girlfriend, iphone other unnecessary luxury items!) but going single may be an option at some point.

Ill probably trade her in somewhere (way) down the road at an import place for my R33 GT-R. Well, youve got to have a plan!