The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car not starting...help please

Duffman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have spoken to Dean (mrdskautos) and him and his mate Martyn are coming to have a look at the my car sat morning so hopefully they will be able to fix it.

i disconnected my battery last night and have left it overnight as i'm thinking this might reset the ECU....when I connect it back up when I go home tonight how far will I have to drive before it resets itself. Or will I have to drive it at all?

have spoken to Dean (mrdskautos) and him and his mate Martyn are coming to have a look at the my car sat morning so hopefully they will be able to fix it.

i disconnected my battery last night and have left it overnight as i'm thinking this might reset the ECU....when I connect it back up when I go home tonight how far will I have to drive before it resets itself. Or will I have to drive it at all?

Your cars in safe hands with those two .

It can be rough for a first few minutes and after that should stabilize and set up itself.

It can be rough for a first few minutes and after that should stabilize and set up itself.

So do I have to take it out for a drive in order for it to set itself up...or can I just leave engine running.

Scared I ruin another set of plugs if its still overfuelling

If it's over fuelling badly and you keep messing about with it you'll need more than a set of plugs, you'll need a rebore and new pistons, and probably a new oil pump. Trailer it to a professional trouble shooter!

Got a couple of guys coming to have a look on sat...they have been recommended on here...Dean and Martyn of mrdskautos

Don't think they have a diagnostic machine but hopefully can diagnose without one as they seem to know they're stuff

If I was a betting man I'd wager on it being a physical or electrical connection fault to the MAP sensor. This is NOT a plea to rip the wiring harness or under bonnet plumbing apart on your own though ;)

I will mention to the guys when they come about that....could be something like a loose connection I have missed when I checked....in which case I will feel like an absolute idiot...but will take the embarrasment as long as it gets fixed lol

Dean and Martyn came at the weekend...carried out various checks and down a diagnostic check showing that it was the map sensor that was the problem. Think it may be a problem witht the actual connection at the TPS...the clip had broken off and whatever they done it seems to start from cold now....although a bit rough to be honest. But at least it's driveable :D

They are coming back on sunday and bringing another TPS and make sure the problem is fully resolved. If it is then they said they would fit the rest of the mods I have sitting... only want them fitted if it's 100% ok though.

One thing I noticed is that when it starts from cold the revs sit about 600-800RPM whereas before it was about 1500RPM. Also when it's heated up it will idle at 1000RPM...whereas before I think it was about 600RPM...anyone any ideas?

Dean and Martyn came at the weekend...carried out various checks and down a diagnostic check showing that it was the map sensor that was the problem. Think it may be a problem witht the actual connection at the TPS...the clip had broken off and whatever they done it seems to start from cold now....although a bit rough to be honest. But at least it's driveable :D

They are coming back on sunday and bringing another TPS and make sure the problem is fully resolved. If it is then they said they would fit the rest of the mods I have sitting... only want them fitted if it's 100% ok though.

One thing I noticed is that when it starts from cold the revs sit about 600-800RPM whereas before it was about 1500RPM. Also when it's heated up it will idle at 1000RPM...whereas before I think it was about 600RPM...anyone any ideas?

Phoned up Toyota and they wanted £250 for a TPS :blink:

I'm hoping the guys bring a spare TPS along this weekend to make sure thats whats making it rev at 1000RPM when its fully warmed up...think this could be the problem?

I though the revs would maybe settle after a few miles but i've done prob 100miles and still the same...should I be worrying?