The mkiv Supra Owners Club

no confidence

TRACIE_LOU

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bin the tyres, I'll happily have a look at it next week, but I can tell you now, those tyres will let down even a brand new stock MKIV. Fit some decent tyres and it'll immediately be transformed. Uniroyal are very good, especially in the wet. If you can find stock of Goodyear eagle F1 tyres they are excellent on the MKIV too. Tyres are an emotive issue, personally I find Toyo are dreadful, their R888 track day tyres are, for example, seconds off the pace of the dearer Michelins and Pirellis. Their road tyres don't impress me either, but a lot of folk here like them. depends what you are comparing them to, I guess. Let me know if you want to come over next week, I can run the geo gauges over it while you wait, but yuu'd have to leave it sometime if it needs re setting up.

Any decent make will be better than whatever crap you've currently got on. I nearly binned my first Supra on a dry, straight road at 50% throttle as it had a good make of tyre on it but they were old and hardened when I picked it up. Next day I sorted that mess out and the difference was astonishing. You probably don't even have the grip I had back then, with your unknown make tyres.

Don't become involved in another crash statistic, or worse, have your partner become one. Don't spend ££££s on a car - a powerful RWD one at that (yes, even an NA) - chuck no end of money at it in petrol costs and then be tight on tyres. Yes it can be painful buying a full set of good tyres in one go, but they are THE ONLY thing holding your car to the road, not just when accelerating, but cornering and braking too.

rear tyres are 265/35zr/18 97w front 235/40zr/18 97w

make wanl never heard of them dont know the offset keron supplied so assume there correct. i admit ive never had a rear wheel drive before but its happened to trace and she dosnt drive it as fast as me lol

im off all next week if you can fit us in m8

Wanli's:rlol:

get them off dude,I wouldnt fit them to any supra.

Bin the tyres, I'll happily have a look at it next week, but I can tell you now, those tyres will let down even a brand new stock MKIV. Fit some decent tyres and it'll immediately be transformed. Uniroyal are very good, especially in the wet. If you can find stock of Goodyear eagle F1 tyres they are excellent on the MKIV too. Tyres are an emotive issue, personally I find Toyo are dreadful, their R888 track day tyres are, for example, seconds off the pace of the dearer Michelins and Pirellis. Their road tyres don't impress me either, but a lot of folk here like them. depends what you are comparing them to, I guess. Let me know if you want to come over next week, I can run the geo gauges over it while you wait, but yuu'd have to leave it sometime if it needs re setting up.

ok m8 will look into changing the tryes soon as, do you have post code so we can check distance as have to work around kids school can give you a call to sort out cheers

Wanl tyres appear to be the things sellers of bling wheels fit as there is nothing cheaper to make up a "wheel and tyre package". These folk are experts at nailing the discounts from Far East tyre makers, and Far East tyre makers are experts at producing total *hite to accommodate them.

jesus we thought we got a good deal (suckers lol :D ) didnt realise they were soooo bad :(:(

ive put on new rear tyres and know that the rear wheel alignment is out (getting it sorted tomorrow hopefully if ford can do it). went out in it earlier and couldnt belive how easy it was to get the back end out at low speeds. i personally enjoyed it and it made me feel like some sort of drifting god.:)

Maybe a suspension issue if its doing that or even a 4 wheel allignment/geo set up would help:)

I would agree with this, just had mine 4 wheel lazer re-aligned yesterday and man what a difference, now it really is on rails compared to before, and much more difficult to step out, cheapest option (and I would definitely say the very first option) for process of elimenation.You can get tyres after ur alignment.

Edited by Kiunno (see edit history)

ive put on new rear tyres and know that the rear wheel alignment is out (getting it sorted tomorrow hopefully if ford can do it). went out in it earlier and couldnt belive how easy it was to get the back end out at low speeds. i personally enjoyed it and it made me feel like some sort of drifting god.:)

yes it can be fun but not after a 12 hour night shift when im half dead to the world or when trace is driving it with kids which isnt very often now as she has no confidence in it (which in a way is good as i get to drive her car more lol :D:D )

do bridgestone do tyres in this size as found them excellent on the civic type r,or are there better makes out there for the soop ?

The tyre sizes you posted up sound similar to the Bridgestone Potenzas I've got on my Supra. Not cheap, but they grip a lot better than the Kuhmo Ecstas and unknown make that were on it when I bought it! :)

yes it can be fun but not after a 12 hour night shift when im half dead to the world or when trace is driving it with kids which isnt very often now as she has no confidence in it (which in a way is good as i get to drive her car more lol :D:D )

just got back from having all my wheels re aligned and it has made one hell of a difference! of all the places i tried a Ford main dealer came to the rescue and done a dodgey cash in hand deal for £20:)