The mkiv Supra Owners Club

To anyone buying a supra and thinking

mr keef

A Supra isn't gonna be cheap to look after, but it being a Toyota means it's pretty reliable, strong and built well. Plus some Supra's are more than 10years old, they are gonna have frailties. Case in point is the pulleys on the cambelt Dude mentioned last week, even a car with just 30k on it could have a problem with cambelt pulleys simply cos the car is 10years old.

However, bang for buck is simply ridiculous - have you tried to think what else you could replace a TT with for similar money ?

It's an awesome car with massive potential, serious respect and a big grin factor ! Yup, I love mine too.

Matt

On a 12 year old car the things described are to be expected on a car that age. TBH it sounds like it have done with a little more TLC before you got it and you cant blame the car or manufacturer for that.

If you are going to let Toyota change your oil then it is going to cost you money. Parts are not cheap, but if maintained well it will give you many many years of service. With well over 300,000 miles there is a UK TT still going strong. How many other cars are like that and drive better than the day it left the factory? Most cars of that age are falling to bits. I have driven other cars into the ground in half the time that MKIV has been on the road.

If anyone wants a cheap runabout the get a bloody Micra they are virtually indestructible, tyres £17 each shocks £20. Most bits from a breakers at next to nothing with and engine you can all most lift out of the car with your hands. I know I have done it.

But if you want a super car that will out perform almost everything else on the road, you have to use quality parts that are up to the job. If you want safe wet grip you need to spend at least £100 a corner of tires and similar on pads if you want to stop. If you want good suspension you need to be looking at £160 a corner to get you started, If you value your engine you will stick in a good oil say £40 a change with filter. With a £60 petrol fill just to put it on the road for a week it all soon mounts up. If you want more power then add a zero to the costs of modding a Nova.

I paid £9,500 for my black 93 UK TT in September and so far it's cost me around £2000 (mostly in repairs)....at least.

Don't get me wrong, I adore my car.....when it's working and isn't costing me a fortune.

So far I've had to shell out for a new starter motor (including £100 to get it to the garage on the back of a flatbed truck since it's an auto). Also needed a new front headlight as it was leaking water. Offside rear wishbone was broken. Oil cooler broken and oil cooler pipes leaking, but now replaced.

Now I need to get the front wing resprayed as the paint chipped and peeled off while cleaning the car. My Toyota amp is broken and so is the headunit. I've just bough a new ashtray for it as that was broken too. The front tyres cost £270 (tracking was out) and I've just paid £75 for Toyota to carry out an oil change as the "Low Oil" warning light was on.

Add to that the 100,000 mile service coiming up shortly and I'm beginning to think that this car is a money pit.

Oh and my battery keeps draining which I think is down to my Toad alarm. Oh and there's a knocking noise coming from the rear brakes too, which I'm choosing to ignore as Toyota will be more than happy to fix at god knows what cost! Thankfully they give me a 10% discount on parts and labour otherwise I'd cry.

When will it all end?..........probably never. I'm just hoping that the turbos are still healthy as they are the originals.

Saying all of this though, the Supra TT is my dream car and I've always wanted to own one. Now that I do I'm a happy bunny (except for the above problems).

Now if I only I could get above 20mpg.

why the hell did you buy it? did you give the car a good look over? test drive etc when ya bought it?,like i said i was looking for ages before i bought mine,and every car i gave a good look over etc,i do hope yours will be all sorted and give you many years of trouble free motoring now. ;)

Yeah I did look the car over and test drive it. I noted most of the faults that were easy to see but the cost of sorting them was more than I thought.

I actually had Toyota inspect the car for me (visual safety inspection) and they missed the broken wishbone and leaking oil cooler (only said pipes were leaking).

The tracking, oil leak, bald tyre etc were all on my list of to-do's. The headunit was working when I test drove it but now it doesn't. I think the amp has been blown for quite some time and the headunit is running the speakers without it. It's low on my list of priorities to fix.

My front wing gets a respray next weekend so the car should look great again.

I must have sounded like a right novice to you guys, but I did spot most of this stuff. The starter motor was concealed because the car was running when I met the previous owner. It went tits-up about 2 weeks later.

Beleive it or not my car is in great condition for 12 years old. All of these problems have been minor. They just add up and seem to have come think and fast. But I suppose it's not all that uncommon for an old car. Once it's back to it's old self it'll be a great car and whoever the next owner is will have a cracking car.

Case in point is the pulleys on the cambelt Dude mentioned last week, even a car with just 30k on it could have a problem with cambelt pulleys simply cos the car is 10years old.

Is this the crankshaft pulley..Your refering to please.....?????

Cheers ...If not...Whats the problems with the camshaft pulleys.....????????Cheers..Kev.

Back to the original thread discussion . . . .

Can you tell me if the Supra is NOT a rich man's toy why I have spent over £55k on them over the years ?

[i'll get my coat!]

:respekt: yea but im talking about buying a supra and mabye some bpu ,not,buying and selling then buying again and throwing money at lotsa mods,all im saying is that it can be done,if ya really do want one you can get some great deals these days and they are a good solid car,and the performance per pound factor is amazing. :thumbs: