The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much to change all four brake pads?

charlton

Well, just an update.

The brake lines arrived today which is excellent stuff since I didnt order till 5 past 4 on Friday, so Kudos to Sumo for that.

Collected the disks from Toyota which was a one day delivery as well so fair play to them as well.

Thats as far as the good news has gone though :(

Been out all day with the nipper so thought I'd get a go at the disks when he went to bed. Until her mate and her husband turned up for a chat. Happy days. Have a cup of tea and frig off.

Managed to get out for half an hour and thought I'd at least get both the disks off ready for tomorrow. Yeah, in my f**kin dreams.

1. Took off handbrake and had a good go. No joy there.

2. Wound back the clicker through the viewing hole bit (tip, use a torch with a small beamwidth to locate the cog.Still no joy.

3. Got a medium sized rubber headed hammer and gave it a bit of persuasion with that. No joy.

4. Tried a biger level of persuasion - still no joy :(

Thought bollocks to it, I'll use some M8 bolts tomorrow but will at least locate the holes. Absolutely full of crud. And when I cleaned them out it looks as though theres no thread in them that I can see. Have wacked some some WD40 in them and hopefully that will help me clean them out properly before using the bolts tomorrow. Small alternative turns.

I'm not convinced the bolts are gonna work to tell the truth. The whole disk seems absolutely, solidly seized on.

I thought about maybe being able to use the scissor jack to wind up and pop the disk off, but there doesnt seem to be anywhere solid to wedge it up against and get some purchase.

Still, so far the whole thing has been enjoyable and learning a fair bit. Well, certainly learning that it doesnt appear that the disks have been changed in 15 years :D

Onwards and upwards

Might be a bigger hammer job tomorrow I feel.

After that and I'm f*cked though :search: as I'm sure shelling out for something to heat the hub up is a million miles from the current agenda and not wholly realistic.

Still, who said changing pads (overhauling the whole rear brake system) would be easy :innocent: In fact I'm gonna finish doing this - and then change the pads again, just for a laugh.

I do wonder though if it had gone into Toyota or another garage whether any of this would have been discovered. I'd like to think so.

Once I get one side done, I'll take some pics of the whole process when I do the second side. Hopefully

Edited by BillyC (see edit history)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic