The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crash - Another UK Spec bites the dust

Stevie72

The surface must've been very slippy to spin twice. When you feel the back end slide out, don't take your foot off. This unloads the back end and you start fish tailing. Keep the power on and turn opposite lock and only when you're going straight and steady, can you relax.

Spun once in the road, and once on the grass on the central reservation.

Happens so quickly, didn't have time to think

Be safe, as even the most experienced and middle age people, make careless mistakes ----- just glad all are safe and that i've learned something i should already have known - LEAVE TRACTION CONTROL ON IN WET!

there is a reason why a lot of people fit racelogic traction control. It has undoubtedly saved many many supras from the same fate as yours.

If you get it back give me a shout and I'll look at it for you. What they class as a wright off my not be that bad. Worth a look for your pride and joy.

Thank you for that - one thing i have always seen on this site is the great unity it brings. (OK maybe one or two heated debates, but in the end, we all share a common interest, the legend that is the SUPRA

When you feel the back end slide out, don't take your foot off. This unloads the back end and you start fish tailing. Keep the power on and turn opposite lock and only when you're going straight and steady, can you relax.

Easier said than done. :)

I suppose a little experience especially on the track would give one the confidence to do this unless you want to practice on the roads.

Easier said than done. :)

I suppose a little experience especially on the track would give one the confidence to do this unless you want to practice on the roads.

Yeah I second that.

I lost mine round the corner at around the same speed, wasnt really going for it, but I could have been going a bit eaiser. :D

You have to show these cars sooo much respect, otherwise they turn round and bite you.

I have only had mine a couple of days, before my prang. Cost me a bleeding fortune it has. Bent the chassis, took out the bonnet, bumper, wing, all three alloy wheels, the blitz intercooler, both headlights, the engine fan. It had to go on a Jig, have the chassis straightend, new chassis leg welded in, new alloys, new bonnet, new wing, new fan, new undertray, new this new that...think im up at around £5k in repairs at the moment :blink:

w should have a counter on the front page on how many cars get written off in winter so we can watch it count up. it might drill it into some people. Thats 2 in the last few days/week

Id say your car is worth more than the 5k. if it was a good example i would say 7 at least.

he struts around in it like he owns it:D

Thats true :sly:

Well PIG, I may need your assistance Sir if they write it off!! If you don't mind.....

Perhaps a little business your way?? Could I take the liberty of PM you when i know more?

I doubt i could be of any help im afraid. Feel free to PM me, if your looking to put it back on the road then supraloopy will prob be your man.

Do we kow if there were parking restrictions on that particular dual carriageway?

Irrespective of whether it was legal or illegal parking (which would be irrelevant probably anyway) my point was more directed to the inconsistency of our reactions to news of crashes...

We insult a guy who crashes at low speed at night but commiserate a guy who accepts that he was leaving a roundabout at speed on a wet surface with traction control switched off.

We insult a guy who crashes at low speed at night

From the sounds of it it wasn't particularly low speed, and it sounds like he was "showing off", and then appeared to be trying to blame the parked car for getting in his way. Plus he had 20" wheels.

Stevie72 doesn't particularly come across as a Chav, he's fully admitted that there was nobody else to blame, and is on here looking for insurance advice not simply looking for sympathy.

I've never met either of them. Unlucky.

edit: I only ever have traction control enabled when it's really *issing it down or snowing, and then I'm driving like Miss Daisy anyway. I suspect in this incident it wouldn't have helped anyway it's way too slow to react, particularly when this is a lateral skid, and might even have made matters worse.

Edited by Thorin (see edit history)

No courtesy car until the Engineers report is made, probably by Monday and then a decision will be made. I have made my plea to them to save it, but will have to wait and see.

What good is insurance if they don't give you a courtesy car until a decision is made to either repair or write off, the later of which means you don't get a courtesy car at all!!!

Anyway, my fault, so I will need to sit and take the inconvenience.

PS I might try and hold out for £6k but i think £5k is about right for a UK TT Auto in the current climate - especially if they take into account 135k mileage and only SH. We will see, but if i get a pay out, the problem will be trying to persuade my better half to accept that another one will be bought with the cash!!!

Edited by Stevie72 (see edit history)

Stevie,

One thing I did when my car was vandalised is to call Toyota and get price on all the parts needed to fix it. Glad I did as the engineer said it would cost £2,800 to fix so wanted to write it off. In reality it only cost £1,200, which they agreed to pay.

It is a PITA when this happens but as long as you provide them with plenty of evidence to support the fact you don't want it written off they 'should' be quite helpful.

Also, if they do write it off they will probably try and get you to pay the recovery and storage, but you need to check your policy doc's.

Hope this help's mate.

Stevie,

One thing I did when my car was vandalised is to call Toyota and get price on all the parts needed to fix it. Glad I did as the engineer said it would cost £2,800 to fix so wanted to write it off. In reality it only cost £1,200, which they agreed to pay.

It is a PITA when this happens but as long as you provide them with plenty of evidence to support the fact you don't want it written off they 'should' be quite helpful.

Also, if they do write it off they will probably try and get you to pay the recovery and storage, but you need to check your policy doc's.

Hope this help's mate.

Thanks Budz, yes i believe i am covered for storage and your comments are well received sir. The plan of action (if right off) will be perhaps to buy her back and run her into the ground - would seem harsh to right off a UK spec and be the owner that took her to the grave!!

Now have a supra, but wrote of my GT4 6 months ago, on the insurance side, I was advised not to accept there first offer and to find ads for around 6 cars of the same spec and milage for as much money as possible. Sent them in and they increased the offer by a grand. I know in this case you will be lucky to find 6 UK model's. Hope this helps

Now have a supra, but wrote of my GT4 6 months ago, on the insurance side, I was advised not to accept there first offer and to find ads for around 6 cars of the same spec and milage for as much money as possible. Sent them in and they increased the offer by a grand. I know in this case you will be lucky to find 6 UK model's. Hope this helps

In line with the club spirit I'm sure that could be managed ;)

10 mins on pistonheads/fleabay etc and we could write the adverts and price how we want to assist you Stevie for a small fee along these lines

:friday:

Edited by Budz86 (see edit history)

Thanks Budz and Stu - Will keep you posted - promised an answer hopefully Monday.

Have good weekend guys - and if it's wet, keep that button on!!!!!!