The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I guess I'll do a rebuild too....

Luka-P

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had thought that myself Simon. I originally checked the clearance dry and then contemplated on whether the crank would, theoretically, be sat low and therefore not concentric to the bearings. Not much in it to be honest but all checked out ok.

Very kind of you Chris. :)

Right.

Due to my general ongoing paranoia with everything in life I had to make a choice of what to do with the whole bearing issue. I knew what was right and I did what needed to be done. I stripped the whole motor back to basics over Friday night (It was a late one and I know I am sad for playing with engines on a Friday night!). Saturday was spent cleaning all the parts and measuring/inspecting etc. Later on in the evening I was able to check the oil clearance in dry bearing housings as instructed. I still believed a smear of assembly oil on the block bearings and applying the Plastigauge to a dry bearing in the main cap with a dry crankshaft would have not thrown the result out too much but I was adamant to get things right. I took my time and referred to the results I had previously collected and I was, in fact, proven wrong. The readings came out more accurate than before and also more consistent. I spent today putting the remaining parts of the block back together. I do feel as though I’m going to have a good night’s sleep tonight!

In all honesty it killed me to take everything apart again, I’m sure you can understand. I had some late nights last week and it ended up being for nothing. It just goes to show, I could have saved a lot of work for myself by checking thrice before acting. I’m here to do things properly and not cut corners and if doing it all twice is the only way I’ll learn then so be it.

I’m sure I’ll start improving at some point, just the question of when?

Luke.

Chris, you really do set the benchmark in terms of engine building. I can now thoroughly respect the patience you have and your devotion to precision. I have to thank you and Simon also for really setting a fine example! :thumbs:

In a way I don't really see it as a lot of lost time and wasted work now...

when i first saw this thread i though not another engine build thread and was going to skip past but i am glad i didn't as there is some good stuff in here and all relevant as i am rebuilding an engine myself, kudos to you young man for attempting this, as at your age i was pulling single cylinder 2 stroke Lambretta engines to bits which on a level of complexity are at the other end of the scale to a 3 litre straight 6 twin cam, as you have said the key to a successfull build is cleanliness, taking your time and asking questions when not sure, good luck and from what i have seen your engine should run fine when it goes back in :)

Just amazing Luke! Sorry i haven't been round much. I'll have to pop round and have a look sometime! Bet there's not much I can help you with these days!

You thinking of sticking 6 MT on block or sticking AT? Chosen your route of turbo yet?

• 4 weeks later...

I thought this thread was about due for an update. I've been doing a bit on the engine recently. I have to appologise first though, I don't seem to have the patience to keep stopping and washing my hands to take pictures and I tend to just flow with the work that needs to be done. Therefore, I have to say sorry that I haven't exactly documented my progress as I maybe should have but I hope the information here is useful to at least some. Right on with the build...

Its really taking shape now, funny how adding one thing makes such a big impact. I got the head back from the machine shop the other day. They basically did all the head work for me. The head was cleaned, all mating surfaces skimmed, the valves were re-lapped, new stem seals and then re-shimmed. I got the head back and fitted it to the block. I used a standard Toyota head gasket and ARP head studs. All the gaskets and washers were renewed from the gasket set. I have also put on a new oil pump and water pump.

My rocker covers, engine hangers and pulleys are at the powder coaters. I've gone for a gloss black finish to keep it tidy.

I have put some UK spec turbos on there, its only a temporary fit for the moment until I decide what to do. Not sure whether to stick with JSpecs or not? That's about it for now.

Luke

SNV31246 [640x480].JPG

SNV31248 [640x480].JPG

SNV31249 [640x480].JPG

Did a few more bits tonight. My things came back from the powder coaters. They really did a fantastic job, chuffed with the outcome. I put the cam covers, cam pulleys, timing belt and alternator on tonight. I also did the turbo oil feeds and a few other bits and bobs. There are a few odd things I just need to order from Toyota. I'm waiting for a few bits now so I can finish her off. Nearly there though, I think she's looking quite nice.

SNV31252 [640x480].JPG

SNV31258 [640x480].JPG

SNV31263 [640x480].JPG

SNV31265 [640x480].JPG

in the end did you know what caused the bearings to fail?

I'm still not sure what caused it. When I started the car up the oil pressure light would be on whilst the knocking was going on so that may be part of it? It has loads of history and no expense has been spared so I'd say failure as opposed to poor maintenance.

Had fun putting the wire harness on over the weekend along with all the other remaining bits and bobs. The UK turbos are on now, everything is fitted and plumbed up. Its ready to go back in but I may get everything on before it does ie decat pipe, power steering, all covers, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted the engine back in over the weekend. I've checked all the fittings, connections and hoses. I then checked them all again. I'm just waiting on a crankshaft position sensor which I will fit tomorrow, then I'll start her up. I'm currently looking into the best way to treat the car after the rebuild. There are so many varied opinions so I think I'll have to do a lot of research for this.

Wish me luck!

Just read through this whole post and must pass on my respect to you.

That is one hell of a project you have taken on and the way you have listened to advise has been admirable.

Good on you, i hope the last stage goes smoothly for you.