The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Got my car mapped today. . . well pleased :)

bonus_2000

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure to be honest. Ryan said that the fact I have had a lot of head work done too might be a factor also. Had my head fully ported and polished, all of the chambers are matched, and the valve guide has been ground down too I think so not to obstruct flow (don't quote me on that, but I think that is what was done). My inlet plenum and runners were also ported and polished to match. I will try to find some picks and put them up.

Not sure to be honest. Ryan said that the fact I have had a lot of head work done too might be a factor also. Had my head fully ported and polished, all of the chambers are matched, and the valve guide has been ground down too I think so not to obstruct flow (don't quote me on that, but I think that is what was done). My inlet plenum and runners were also ported and polished to match. I will try to find some picks and put them up.

thats what looks like has been done , looks a nice job to. i know they say supra's are fairly good flowing but i have seen a few that with a nise polish would benefit i am having full port and polish done wtih my new head also 3 angled valve seats cut to see if any benefits can be had there

thats what looks like has been done , looks a nice job to. i know they say supra's are fairly good flowing but i have seen a few that with a nise polish would benefit i am having full port and polish done wtih my new head also 3 angled valve seats cut to see if any benefits can be had there

Cool, let us know when you have it on, and what difference it makes to the car :) It's interesting to see what works, and to what extent. I heard in the past that too about the Supra head, and that it wasn't worth going to all the hassle, but I thought at the time when it was off, that I may as well.

a 1.6mm head gasket wont help, what is the eventuall boost figure you are looking at ?

Ah yeap good point. I'm not looking at any evential boost figure, just going on what Ryan tells me is a safe level for the modifications I have done. Originally when I bought the kit from Dusty, this is what I was advised to go with, so the engine was built with a 1.6mm gasket. I had no boost level in my mind at all.

Ah yeap good point. I'm not looking at any evential boost figure, just going on what Ryan tells me is a safe level for the modifications I have done. Originally when I bought the kit from Dusty, this is what I was advised to go with, so the engine was built with a 1.6mm gasket. I had no boost level in my mind at all.

with a DBB i would have expected a lot more mid range punch, looking at the spec i would say the head gasket and potentially your plenum mods and the head porting have all contributed to push the power up the rev range, its an impresive top end figure though

with a DBB i would have expected a lot more mid range punch, looking at the spec i would say the head gasket and potentially your plenum mods and the head porting have all contributed to push the power up the rev range, its an impresive top end figure though

Reading between the lines you'd prefer the drive of Jamies?

Excellent result mate :thumbs: looks to be making cracking power, bet its an animal to drive :D

Hoping to get a very similar result out of mine at 1.4-1.5 bar if Michel ever gets back to me about mapping. Mine doesn't have the headwork yours has though, just cams, so may be slightly less, be interesting to see :)

Should that read DBB on both cars?

Yeah think that should be, mine is DBB :)

Nice one mate! Very good figures you have! Looks like I have abit of catching up to do with you big boys. Still need to contact your mate regarding my paint job. ;)

Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah well pleased mate! Let me know about the paint fella, I can speak to my mate for you :thumbs:

Excellent result mate :thumbs: looks to be making cracking power, bet its an animal to drive :D

Hoping to get a very similar result out of mine at 1.4-1.5 bar if Michel ever gets back to me about mapping. Mine doesn't have the headwork yours has though, just cams, so may be slightly less, be interesting to see :)

Yeah that will be interesting. It's a bit of a handful, but puts a smile on my face :) Oh and it sounds beautiful!

yes i would, but its each to their own ;)

See im not sure which i would prefer as Jamie's car comes in very hard low down but then its a gradual pull. Where as Bruce's comes in still hard but just rips you back in the seat all the way to the redline.

Ryan

Guest flipper

Jamies will be better for the road and track which would be my choice..... as some-one said...each to their own.. for me the other set up is like giving the Pope a Large member and is just an engineering exercise. But I have spent over 15 years track racing and like what I know.... My mate has a 780 bhp GTO, 800 bhp evo 6 and a 650 bhp GTR34 (well paid job) all good toys but too tempramental and you cant lay down/utilise it apart from straight line....anyway I will shut up

Edited by flipper (see edit history)

:yeahthat:

For me it is about speccing the car around the type of driving you do on a daily basis. On the roads I drive here (mainly urban single or dual carriageways) I am never left wanting for more hp as I just do not have the roads to use it. Big hp bragging rights don't bother me, response, useable power, handling and reliability, were the priorities when speccing my own setup.

It reminds me a little of the differenece between mine and Ryans cars.

Ryans car made 567bhp (IIRC) and mine made 561bhp.

However Ryans car made the horsepower a lot earlier than mine. It felt quick don't get me wrong but you didn't get the kind of mid-range punch as the turbo's came on that mine did.

However, we did a few side by side 70+ pulls one day, unless I was on song he pulled away from me by 3 / 4 car lengths as my turbo's spooled up. Once I was on boost there was absolutely nothing in it.

That all said, the turbo's I've got a far, far more biased towards top end than the turbo that he was running, so it really is horses for courses.

Good numbers there mate, might not be as quick as others in the mid-range, but it will "feel" a lot quicker when it comes on song, and will romp most on here at the top end. Well done fella.