The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tuning standard supra twin turbo

Guest beefycol

I love it when Newbies who don't know who's been in Supra's for years make free with their knowledge, look at the join dates lads, some of these guys were into supras when you were still driving blinged up Nova's... :D

Re "Induction Kit", I'm sure that Chris Wilson (Supra Guru) and others recon that the stock (manufacturers designed) air intake was better than after market kits, although don't look as cool.

This right Chris ?

G :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is true however ask a member who has gone single, Pig, Gaz 1, tooquicktostop, Jamie P or even Chris Wilson, they'll tell you exactly how much it costs to build,

run and maintain...

If you build them 'properly' from the start, make sure the engine is in good condition (rebuild if necessary), use ALL quality products needed, have it mapped by someone who knows what they are doing and it is mapped conservatively, then they can be very reliable and not much more to maintain. Yes they are more expensive to run in terms of fuel costs and more regular service intervals would be advised, but that's about it.

It is when you try to do a single conversion on a budget, cut corners by not fitting all supporting parts needed, use cheap parts not fit for purpose, get the work done by some cowboy, run high boost, map the car to squeeze the last mini Shetland pony of performance out of it and use the biggest most 'horsepowery' turbo you can find, that is when they WILL be very unreliable and costly.

My relatively small GT35R single turbo install making around 540hp was very reliable and apart from more regular service intervals and rear tyre changes was no more costly to maintain.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

......HKS Valcon V-Cam (inlet & exhaust)......

The Valcon V-Cam kit only replaces the intake cam. The exhaust cam will have to be purchased seperately if you want one (Nic gets good prices)

No idea how many BHP you will get but I think that what you should be asking is how it will drive, rather than an estimated figure. Not many people on here have the Valcon kit. I have one but it's not fitted yet. Will be done at the same time as my single turbo conversion, and I'll dyno it before and after and post the results.

Stay tuned.....

If you build them 'properly' from the start, make sure the engine is in good condition (rebuild if necessary), use ALL quality products needed, have it mapped by someone who knows what they are doing and it is mapped conservatively, then they can be very reliable and not much more to maintain. Yes they are more expensive to run in terms of fuel costs and more regular service intervals would be advised, but that's about it.

It is when you try to do a single conversion on a budget, cut corners by not fitting all supporting parts needed, use cheap parts not fit for purpose, get the work done by some cowboy, run high boost, map the car to squeeze the last mini Shetland pony of performance out of it and use the biggest most 'horsepowery' turbo you can find, that is when they WILL be very unreliable and costly.

My relatively small GT35R single turbo install making around 540hp was very reliable and apart from more regular service intervals and rear tyre changes was no more costly to maintain.

Apart from being on your soapbox Nic, you're also on the wrong thread;):p

Hmmmmm, how to know is a UK Spec Supra TT VVTI AUTO_TIPTRONIC?

There was never a VVTi UK Supra made, all VVTi Supra are Japanese.

Or a tiptronic one either, or an aerotop (which his appears to be).

Redsupra31 - The guys above are correct and you are incorrect, but congratulations on 330BHP:d

Guest redsupra31
Redsupra31 - The guys above are correct and you are incorrect, but congratulations on 330BHP:d

Thank you Guys,

I learn today...... do homework 1st and then talk....... well the pro's in the house.........

i learn faster......... TQ.

Guest redsupra31

Thank you Guys,

I learn today...... do homework 1st and then talk....... well the pro's in the house.........

i learn faster......... TQ..... :):):):):)

• 1 year later...
Guest obsessive88

Hey Hey, I am swaping my G54b to the 2j and Ive spent the last two months lusting after the MKIV. I have a lead on a engine and 6spd box.

I was interested in the hks cams but further reading from my old car mags suguested that you "go with the rmp range the car will mostly be in for cam selection" (that would be about 5000rpm). So question one is what is a good stage one cam to go with? Question two is, are the hks cam gears nessisary for the above cam sugguestion?

I would keep the twin set up (piecing together a less expensive GT2835 version). As arse backward as it sounds my first purchase in this expensive journy was a JUN style plenum with a 100mm TB.

My intention is to also purchase a set of 800cc injectors and two walbro 255 pumps (bigger lines feul regulator etc.) and a replacement Supra aluminum radiator.

Please forgive my ignorance as I am new and still reasearching.