The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra n/a power

Guest mikey.p

I have raced a Porsche Boxster S (986 model) before and it was was a even race, neither of us pulled away. I think they are around 250hp and weigh around 1400kg.

Personal I would rather be driving a Supra than a Boxster! ;)

With regards to the NA losing power, my NA has been dyned at 240hp with minimal mods! :D

What minimal mods have you done.

I've decated mine totaly and have an aftermarket air filter ?

I always thought these only added a few bhp if at all.

Should get a rolling road done really, But it feels good to me so im happy....

I have raced a Porsche Boxster S (986 model) before and it was was a even race, neither of us pulled away. I think they are around 250hp and weigh around 1400kg.

Personal I would rather be driving a Supra than a Boxster! ;)

With regards to the NA losing power, my NA has been dyned at 240hp with minimal mods! :D

A jump from a FWD 109 bhp hatch to a 326 bhp RWD turbo supra is a biggie. Its not just about raw power but how you handle it. You can get the back end of an NA out easy enough in the wet and its no slouch.

I went from an 109bhp hatch to a (appx ;)) 220bhp NA and after spinning it out a couple of times and snaking its tail got used to how these beasties handle. You soon learn to respect the car :eyebrows: if you don't you'll bin it in the nearest hedge, be it a TT or NA, manual or auto.

If you can get a couple of supra owners to take you out, one in a standard TT and the other in an NA you can get a fair idea without splashing out money up front.

L

Are you saying the TT auto is faster that the manual and the N/A auto is slower than the manual ?

Admittedly all the talk of how excellent the auto is has come from TT owners, not N/A owners, but i thought the auto was the same box ?

Basically at Santa pod the above seems to be the case.

Its a combination of things IMO

The manual NA suffers from minimal spin up on launch or on the 1st to 2nd change, whereas the manual TT can suffer badly in first and second. The auto's of either type will not spin up (a bpu may a little) and so they get away great every time. Add to this the slick change and the fact that over the quarter the auto change gear twice, the manuals three times (all of which can be fluffed!) and its easy to see why the auto's do so well.

The na auto's are down in power but not much lighter than the TT's. In a NA manual vs auto drag race the extra transmission losses of a auto show up as more of a % of its bhp/tonne, than a TT auto/manual match.

IMO a manual tt of equal engine BHP would be quicker than an auto if you could eliminate (or at least really minimise) wheelspin and get perfect (very slick) gear changes. But very few fit tyres that will give them a chance to prove they might be able to do it!

Are you saying the TT auto is faster that the manual and the N/A auto is slower than the manual ?

Admittedly all the talk of how excellent the auto is has come from TT owners, not N/A owners, but i thought the auto was the same box ?

In normal day to day driving that is the case. The auto TT's struggle a little more once seriously illegal speeds are reached due to the very long 3rd and 4th gears, but it's not often you get to do that ;)

As a drivers car I much prefer the manual for blating about the twisties, but it's hard to get a TT 6spd to do a quick 0-60. The auto is easy - hit the throttle and it's always a perfect launch :D