Ominous signs of GT4088R failure

jevansio

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That T67 turbine certainly isn't the norm. I had the exhaust and intake off mine only a couple of weeks ago for some routine stuff and it still looks like when I unboxed it. I'd be looking for a specific cause for that damage, be it poor filtration or overly high EGTs...

I think I run 850degC max EGTs, although my probe is in the collector pre-turbo so it's about 12" from the cylinder head.

-Ian

What turbo do you have Ricky?

GT4088 not the R though.

Ryan, "EGT sensors should be always be placed 3-6 inches from the exhaust port on the hottest known cylinder. With the 2jzgte No 6.

Taking readings from anywhere else is just pointless."

So what is so wrong with the turbo exhaust housing? surly that is the point of most restriction and would therefore generate the highest EGTs?

Chris, i always thought that turbo engines ran the least overlap therefore generated very little reversion?

I think from that I would assume I had bought a cheap copy. If iI buy a Garrett turbo from say Turbo Dynamics, it comes in a Honeywell - Garrett box, with a Garrett core I/D tag, and a Garrett warranty.

Precision are a well known and respected turbo supplier in the USA, it won't be a cheap copy, it will be a genuine Garrett. Precision do create hybrids though, so it will be a Garrett core with their own compressor and exhaust housings probably.

Have you ever measured the difference's though when the sensor is placed 4" from the exhaust port and then inside the turbine housing of a turbo ;)

EGT sensors should be always be placed 3-6 inches from the exhaust port on the hottest known cylinder. With the 2jzgte No 6.

Taking readings from anywhere else is just pointless.

Ryan

Yes, we run thermocouples in all ports (not 3-6inches from the exhaust port, more like 5mm from port, basically as close to the exhaust valve as we can get them) and turbine housing. I'll try and find some data tomorrow

Presumably cylinder 6 is the cylinder which gets the most air and is hence the leanest?

Do you still need to do this will a veilside type manifold?

In my experiance of running engines at 900-950 degrees port temps after continuous running the exhaust valve heads fall off.

Edited by David Reid (see edit history)

900-950 does sound high. 2" from the port I get 870 max on t67 '86ar.

like Jamie I'm looking at the t67 in horror, athough a t67 has an extra blade and all are 60% thicker compared to 4088r's.. I have not heard of many t67's going...

I have seen so many 4088r's going now that I'm stunned garrett still make them! they must have had some abuse stateside.