The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boot release doesn't quite

SteveR

My Supra 1998 facelift use to do this aswell....

:(

Im sorry but im going to have to say this...I love the facelift model Supra's, they are fantasic to drive and look great...

However, I just can't help thinking that the facelift Supra have a 'cheap' feel to it compared to the pre-facelift models...

Does anyone else think the same??

However, I just can't help thinking that the facelift Supra have a 'cheap' feel to it compared to the pre-facelift models...

Well sticking NA rads in them was a cr@p idea for starters....that said there were other benefits such as larger UK brakes and Bilsteins.

Well sticking NA rads in them was a cr@p idea for starters....that said there were other benefits such as larger UK brakes and Bilsteins.

I know...I have just discovered along with Homer that the facelift model's have N/A rads...:blink:

I just get the feel of cheapness inside...the analogue clock, the headlining, the new five dial surround...it's just flimsy plastic...

The horrible OEM grey coloured dash...

And now the boot release not working properly on what seems all facelift's...:(

However, like you say Pete...something's did come good out of the facelift: A fantasic VVTi engine, UK brakes and bigger wheels...

not all facelifts had bigger brakes. It was still optional on a few twin turbo models.

I believe the bodywork is also a little thinner and so dents easier.

When I had my arches rolled it put a slight wave in the arch around each rivet.

They did seem to go a little cheaper on everything, but then stuck in the VVTi engine.

I know...I have just discovered along with Homer that the facelift model's have N/A rads...:blink:

I just get the feel of cheapness inside...the analogue clock, the headlining, the new five dial surround...it's just flimsy plastic...

The horrible OEM grey coloured dash...

And now the boot release not working properly on what seems all facelift's...:(

However, like you say Pete...something's did come good out of the facelift: A fantasic VVTi engine, UK brakes and bigger wheels...

Analogue clock - improvement

Headlining - that furry stuff is horrible and dated

Five dials - well...five dials! (Albeit next to useless additional)

Grey dash - improvement on weird plastic coated jobby

Boot release has been OK on mine so that's minus one off your list. :D

Mine has a nice new full fat rad in it now. ;)

I'd not considered thinner metal on the body - that's a shame. I'll have to do some knock tests next time I see Burna.

Analogue clock - improvement

Headlining - that furry stuff is horrible and dated

Five dials - well...five dials! (Albeit next to useless additional)

Grey dash - improvement on weird plastic coated jobby

Boot release has been OK on mine so that's minus one off your list. :D

Mine has a nice new full fat rad in it now. ;)

I'd not considered thinner metal on the body - that's a shame. I'll have to do some knock tests next time I see Burna.

New headlining - feels really cheap...

Five dial SURROUND - is really flimsy and feels very cheap.

The five dials however, I like and has been improved somewhat...

Analogue clock - old and dated, Toyota should of left is as digital.

Grey dash - wrong colour but you are right on the pre-facelift dash coated stuff.

This is a personal thing for me, I think that the pre-facelift has a better design inside and the 3 dials fit into the dash and makes it fit into the cockpit really

well...unlike the facelift with that cheap piece of tat of a five dial surround...

No way. The Digital is just sooo 80's.

The Analogue design is lovely and was quite modern at that time. Maybe tastes have just gone full circle.

Umm...I just think that the digital design fitted well into the cockpit...it looked fantastic I thought...

I was rather dissapointed with the analogue clock, it looks older and it's too big...it ruins the cockpit somewhat with a big ugly clock poking out...

Like you say, each to their own but Toyota could of made the facelift Supra soooo much better inside....

However I am lucky because I have a very rare steering wheel, it is standard from Toyota and is Carbon Fibre along with the Recaro seats...absolutely fantasic!

Shame about the colour pattern on them though...

• 2 years later...

Its only taken me 9 years of ownership, but I think I've possibly worked out the problem! The boot releases perfectly with the spoiler off, my car had a spoiler retrofitted when it came to the UK, so perhaps when it was specced up in Japan the struts were rated to a different weight? Just compared the part numbers on the struts to Keiths UK (so spoiler as standard) and they are different....

My facelift 96 has a normal latch and yet my brother's VVTi is the lame version. It's definitely not a "facelift only" thing as some are fine.

It's a bit like the small batteries - lots of JDM car owners swear they've never changed the terminals and yet some have bigger UK style terminals and the wider battery clamp for bigger batteries.

My facelift 96 has a normal latch and yet my brother's VVTi is the lame version. It's definitely not a "facelift only" thing as some are fine.

It's a bit like the small batteries - lots of JDM car owners swear they've never changed the terminals and yet some have bigger UK style terminals and the wider battery clamp for bigger batteries.

That's what I'm suggesting, that some of the facelift cars had different struts depending on whether the spoiler was fitted from factory or not.