The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Pecking Order

Guest Robw

Under these circumstances (until further development) the VVTi makes these mods more complicated.

For the love of god and the last time it's not harder or more expensive it's been done and it f**cking works! VVTi's + mods = more possibilities not less. The time you've been waiting for has arrived. Just look at the ECU thread in tech...the Fcon V Pro has fly-by-wire control (and VVTi control?)....PE do a VVTi controller...HKS do the Valcon etc....

Having never owned a VVTi but having been told differently, are we now saying that the cost and ease to mod these (for the same amount of gain) is the same as the non VVTi models?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..and the Vortex budget single kit should fit VVTi's now :D

I like the facelift for a few reasons:

1) No nasty rubber dash coating to wear off.

2) The headlights are way better

3) The gauges are better

4) Smiley front bumper

5) Nice rear lights

6) Nicer front fogs and indicators

7) Junking the stock traccy control ECU doesn't make the Slip Cont light flash :thumbs:

8) Passenger airbag!

The only minor downer is Toyota changed all the wiring colours :mad:

VVTi has an easier-to-reach ECU, christ knows what the power delivery is like, who keeps 'em stock :read:

-Ian

Having never owned a VVTi but having been told differently, are we now saying that the cost and ease to mod these (for the same amount of gain) is the same as the non VVTi models?

Well, the Vortex budget kit was sort of prototype on Alex's Supra and there were a couple of minor differences but that's been fed back to Vortex and they now know what's required.

The E-Manage fits, we've got the wiring diagram for everything, it'll control the wasted spark ignition timing and everything, and works fine with a MAF :rolleyes:

The PE 650cc injectors drop straight in, as does the Walbro fuel pump.

What more do you need? Intercooler upgrades are the same, boost controllers work, you can fit wideband O2 sensors into anything... I think barring the decat downpipe and an induction kit that fits the MAF the parts you need are exactly the same as those on a non-vvti. Oh, you'll need a different fields harness of course but we have found a place that does them for the VVTi Aristo so they fit the Supra just fine ;)

-Ian

Under these circumstances (until further development) the VVTi makes these mods more complicated.

For the love of god and the last time it's not harder or more expensive it's been done and it f**cking works! VVTi's + mods = more possibilities not less. The time you've been waiting for has arrived. Just look at the ECU thread in tech...the Fcon V Pro has fly-by-wire control (and VVTi control?)....PE do a VVTi controller...HKS do the Valcon etc....

Okay Alex, keep cool dude :dummy: If thats the case then great, but it seems this is only recent and certainly was a grey area previously.

I'm sorry I don't read every single thread posted on this board and voiced a personal opinion that wasn't entirly correct.

It's your fault Jake :D

Thanks for everybodys input.

I think I want

Silver

Auto

Turbo

Toys !

Aero (possibly)

I'm probably looking for a car that doesn't exist !

Damn different specs

Rob

Guest Terry S

FWIW IMHO the VVTi 6 is top ;)

As far as tuning goes, think we have that sorted now with my car & now Alex's

I think eventually they will actually be cheaper to get reasonable power from, time and development will tell.

Kev the following link helps to guide you to 'read' the chassis plate of any car you look at. So regardless of how the car is advertised you will be able to see what car it actually is.

Amongst other things you can tell if it has a LSD from the chassis plate.

Thanks for the link Scooter....Most informative....Cheers....Kev.

Thanks for all the info so far.

I'm now not sure about an Aero if its going to be 11 yrs old !

Aerotop Dave.

So a UK auto ?

Bobbeh

I assume ! that a UK auto and a GZ are the same car ?

So if I omit the Aero I could get a newer car ?

I havent seen any GZ Aeros for sale anyway.

The quest continues. . .

Rob

For me:

6 sp man

Black

I prefer the pre-facelift because of the black dash and the three gauges.

however i like the facelift headlights.

the facelift rear lights look horrible on any other colour bar from blue or gunmetal. imho.

vvti engines....well owning a honda before with an obd2 chip, modifying air/fuel was not the easiest task due to the multiple O2 sensors, and in closed loop the ecu would nullify the effect of breathing mods. Now I am sure that this can be solved by putting in a differenct ECU, etc....but why complicate things when youve got a lovely pre-facelift obd1 engine already that is yurning to be tuned...

Bobbeh

I assume ! that a UK auto and a GZ are the same car ?

Nearly, the UK has larger spec engine components, better traction control, LSD for sure, and various other bits.

Check out the one for sale in the For 'Sale/Wanted' section. Its a great example with the DOGS BOLLOX wheels :)

Better Traction Control.....would you say that it was actually less lethal than the stock j-spec one.

how does it compare to the RLTC...?

J-spec TT have LSD standard....right?

UKs have steel turbos and larger injectors....nothing that aftermarket bits cant address..