The mkiv Supra Owners Club

what are opinions on this turbo?

123tom123tom

How long have Asda and Aldi been selling turbochargers?

What you didn't know!? :blink: :D

Granted its not a super computer, but I would say some pretty serious computer power goes into designing and fine tuning them ;)

Yes but I think my original point was that quite often the companys that spend huge amounts of money on R&D licence their developments out to offset the costs, thus there are certain brands in most markets which are exactly the same as other competitors except for the brand logo. A good example would be the car market where engines are often developed by other companies etc.

Its Nikes vs dunlop classics, they both did the same job but alot of it is brand name and status if you ask me. A turbo isnt the most complicated peice of kit on the planet afterall......imo.

To quote your anagram, how would your dunlop classics compare after 10000miles compared to your nikes?

I suspect they would both be fooked, but the Nike would fair better

How about a turbo that spools to 150000rpm - get the picture, they aren't complicated in theory but the build quality definitely is

The thing is if your Nikes did fall apart you would just buy another pair, they wouldnt affect any other part of the machine whereas if a turbo falls apart it will more than likely take the engine with it

You really have got to do more research into these, your theories and anagrams are questionable and for any newbie to take your spiel as gospel would lead them down a very dark path indeed

my word i have started a war :) i have now been looking at various garrret turbo's and precison turbos, anything i should know about these turbo or is this a seperate war in itself.

also i have been quoted 100 quid delivered for a oil drain kit from dusty at mvp is this a fair price....:blink:

To quote your anagram, how would your dunlop classics compare after 10000miles compared to your nikes?

I suspect they would both be fooked, but the Nike would fair better

How about a turbo that spools to 150000rpm - get the picture, they aren't complicated in theory but the build quality definitely is

The thing is if your Nikes did fall apart you would just buy another pair, they wouldnt affect any other part of the machine whereas if a turbo falls apart it will more than likely take the engine with it

You really have got to do more research into these, your theories and anagrams are questionable and for any newbie to take your spiel as gospel would lead them down a very dark path indeed

VERY good analogy-turning-around skills there!

Its Nikes vs dunlop classics, they both did the same job but alot of it is brand name and status if you ask me. A turbo isnt the most complicated peice of kit on the planet afterall......imo.

As already mentioned, it's nothing like this scenario at all.

The main brand turbo's ARE much better build and more importantly designed for specific applications. The XS one I had was extremely shoody, made for a desiel truck and totally unsuitable for a 3 litre petrol.

However, it's not even a case of just buying a main brand make, you still have to select the correct turbo. Take for example all the "DAF" GT 4088 (rebadged Garret turbo's) that have suffered from failure. It was apparently made for low boost diesel applications and as such the exducer and casting is not suitable for a high boost petrol application - hence the high failure rate.

also i have been quoted 100 quid delivered for a oil drain kit from dusty at mvp is this a fair price....:blink:

Yep, thats fair. I paid £120 for a BL oil drain and feed kit and this was a discounted trade price.

I dont think $200 is fair for a oil feed and return, it should be around $100, they are very light

$200 is about the going rate from the main manufacturers. Do you know where one is available cheaper (always good to know)?

Obviously you could make your own one for a lot less!

Yes but I think my original point was that quite often the companys that spend huge amounts of money on R&D licence their developments out to offset the costs, thus there are certain brands in most markets which are exactly the same as other competitors except for the brand logo.

There are a lot of Chinese manufacturers producing turbos these days, I have no idea where the OBX turbos are manufactured, but at the low price they are being sold at, I wouldn't be surprised if they were China made. Chinese manufacturers won't license the R&D, they will simply get a sample of a Garrett turbo and try to replicate it.

$200 is about the going rate from the main manufacturers. Do you know where one is available cheaper (always good to know)?

Obviously you could make your own one for a lot less!

yes if any body know cheaper great let me know....

Homer-I have just had a quote from Keane at boost logic for the oil return and feed for $221.00 shipped...

There are a lot of Chinese manufacturers producing turbos these days, I have no idea where the OBX turbos are manufactured, but at the low price they are being sold at, I wouldn't be surprised if they were China made. Chinese manufacturers won't license the R&D, they will simply get a sample of a Garrett turbo and try to replicate it.

Yes I can see your point. I have no specific knowledge of turbos and don't pretend to be knowledgeable on this area but I was merely trying to suggest that his inital point isn't as stupid as it sounds.

yes if any body know cheaper great let me know....

Homer-I have just had a quote from Keane at boost logic for the oil return and feed for $221.00 shipped...

With something like an oil line, I would go for one with a proven quality record. Saving a few £1's on cheaper oil lines with unknown quality could end up with disastrous consequences.

Read this post I made a few years ago and then decide if you want to risk having an oil line fail.

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=7550

With something like an oil line, I would go for one with a proven quality record. Saving a few £1's on cheaper oil lines with unknown quality could end up with disastrous consequences.

Read this post I made a few years ago and then decide if you want to risk having an oil line fail.

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=7550

i thought boost logic where a good brand and reliable....:blink:

OBX T04 T4 Turbocharger Turbo Charger 64 Trim 0.96 A/R. power rating is around 650bhp

what is the performance of this turbo and the reliability of the make etc.

what is the price of one of these :)

hi mate my mate has a gt35 only done 1200mls if thats any good its a garret fast spooling turbo.