The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Super cooling

Axle

This is all very interesting :) and was wondering if by changing my bumper from stock to do-luck have i just messed up some of the cooling :( as the air wont be directed through the radiator would it be worth ducting? Or largely irrelevant at stock and later BPU levels?

Sticking an FMIC in front of the rad will make cooling worse. Much worse if it's not properly ducted

glad you touched on the subject of ducting this is an area that many people overlook as its not "sexy" like a big shiney ally rad or an intercooler, without proper ducting through any cooler be it a gearbox, main engine radiator or intercooler you seriously compromise the efficiency of the cooler as the air flow just goes round it instead of through it, this will not necesarily cost you power but will make everything have to work a lot harder (a cool engine is a happy engine), just look at the way Mr T ducts a SMIC or engine rad.

The other items a lot of people overlook are gauges, how do you know what your temps are doing without gauges to tell you, a classic i read a while ago on this topic involved auto trans coolers the guy said he didn't need certain items as his box "had never overheated" it turned out he did not have a gauge :search: som in reality he had no clue

• 2 weeks later...

A very timely thread, as I am just in the final stages of my build. Getting the FMIC sealed is my top priority, second is sealing between the FMIC and the radiator. The top and bottom of the IC is not particularly difficult, it is sealing the sides that poses the biggest challenge.

I am using the stock viscous fan and stock shroud, on the back of a Fluidline rad. In addition I have a 13" Spal in between the FMIC and the rad and the stock secondary fan still in the shroud. The plan is to use AEM to bring the stock secondary and additional Spal fan into play at a predetermined temperature. To get the best from all three fans there must only be one path the air can take.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)