The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project "Quicksilver" Supra

Guest Nicholas

I've looked into this as the gear rations of the V161 are shorter than the V160 IIRC at 190mph in 6th you're at 6532rpm with the V161 and and at 6333rpm with the V160 so there is quite a difference but I don't think it will hold the car back in anyway.

Also I believe due to the cam variator the VVTI engine reduces lag slightly against the none VVTI when using a big turbo so it would be a good mix with the HKS T51.

I guess time will tell :)

It's going to be an interesting build, & will produce a car I'd love to own IMHO :D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nicholas
Nice work Nick - I wished I lived closer to Ash as he could then help me build something uber-fast(well, he could build and I would make the tea:D).

Good luck - great project:cool:

Thanks Andrew, Ash is a good friend of mine and an absolutely fantastic mechanic although he never lets on how good he is and how much he knows about our cars :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nicholas

Hi all, right first update from me...

I've been quite busy at work recently but had a few hours to spend on the car today so I got to work removing the front bumper, head lights, SMIC, battery & tray, intercooler piping, undertray, washer bottle and plastic covering and the active spoiler.

See pics attached.

I have drained the rad and will be starting to remove the twins next weekend with the help of TLicence's excellent guide.

05072008040.jpg

05072008041.jpg

05072008042.jpg

05072008043.jpg

05072008044.jpg

05072008046.jpg

05072008045.jpg

05072008047.jpg

05072008048.jpg

Guest Nicholas
Nice work Nic,

Did you noticed how difficult it would be to remove the Air Con condenser while you were under there, I need to rip mine out

Once you've dropped the bumper it's really quite easy as it's held in front of the rad with a bracket. 10 mins and you'll have it off.

Very nice setup, I would like that very much,

Kopite has started to struggle with the VVTI top end and is planning on swapping it for a non-VVTi one, thoughts?

I'm in 2 minds :D The spool is great and so is the torque, car "feels" very fast but i'm pretty sure we're maxing the stock cams out. Might go for the Valcon with a 264/ex as well.

Guest Nicholas
Have you brought a t51 kit? cheap one on ebay;)

Not yet, Can you pm me the link J? :)

Niiiiiice!!! :D I will need to see final result :innocent:

Good luck mate :thumbs:

No problem Humberto, would be good to see Jessica again too! Maybe meet up for a pub lunch mini meet?

Guest Nicholas

Quick update from me...

After 9 hours on the car today and the help of my brother in law and two friends we finally got one of the turbo's off, we have managed to undo all the top manifold bolts and two underneath.

Tomorrow will be getting the second turbo off along with the manifold.

Bloody hard work, we're all exhausted.

12072008053.jpg

Edited by Nicholas (see edit history)