The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fuel efficiency

flyby

You can get flushes for almost anything these days. I can't think of the name off the top of my head but the stuff I use works remarkably well.

With the engine flush you drop a bottle in with the oil before your about to do an oil change, run it about a bit then empty it.

The fuel system flush works like redex drop a full bottle in with fresh fuel and run it like normal.

Its realy good stuff for the price, about £8 a bottle. There's loads of different 1s available for specific parts of the engine.

Ill get the name of it after, should try it out, I'm going to :)

I've heard stories of high-mileage engines leaking oil like they're incontinent after having an engine oil flush. Internal parts wear against each other, and sometimes (I'm led to believe) it can be the old deposits of stuff that can keep the engine oil-tight. Use a flush and you risk flushing that away. If it does what you want it to do then great, but it's not without risk.

A fuel flush sounds safer, although I've never heard of anyone using one, and I don't know what you'd be aiming to flush away by using one. I'm guessing clean fuel wouldn't (?) leave deposits on the fuel lines. The petrol tank will probably contain gunk at the bottom, but that's only an issue if the gunk gets sucked up the fuel line something that's unlikely to happen even if you run the engine dry. It would only happen if the fuel pump hoovers fuel from the very lowest point in the tank.

A fuel flush sounds safer, although I've never heard of anyone using one, and I don't know what you'd be aiming to flush away by using one. I'm guessing clean fuel wouldn't (?) leave deposits on the fuel lines. The petrol tank will probably contain gunk at the bottom, but that's only an issue if the gunk gets sucked up the fuel line something that's unlikely to happen even if you run the engine dry. It would only happen if the fuel pump hoovers fuel from the very lowest point in the tank.

Surely if it flushes the gunk, it will 'flush' it straight up the fuel lines anyway? :blink:

I've heard stories of high-mileage engines leaking oil like they're incontinent after having an engine oil flush. Internal parts wear against each other, and sometimes (I'm led to believe) it can be the old deposits of stuff that can keep the engine oil-tight. Use a flush and you risk flushing that away. If it does what you want it to do then great, but it's not without risk.

I suppose you could look at it that way but this flush 'FORTE' is designed to clear away crap deposits on the valves and pistons and remove bore varnishing.. Its a focused engine flush much like the fuel treatment.

The general fuel flush is designed to remove crap in your lines and injectors.

I didnt realy believe in the stuff previously but when the guy demo'd the stuff and i seen the results i was quite impressed.

For an old neglected engine its probly not the best of ideas like you say cause the build up of crap maybe preventing oil leaks but if an engine is in that state then clearly more important things need addressing :)

• 2 months later...

i did an engine flush on my car and i'm not sure if it was a coincidence but my car started to smoke a lot ended up replacing the valve stem oil seals, (well my mate did them) that fixed the smoke problem so doing a flush i would say is not the best thing to do on an older car you might be opening a can of worms