The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I'm new and contemplating a supra

Guest freshprince

Guest freshprince

not too worried about the performance aspect as I have quite a light right foot and I'm used to considerably greater performance anyway.

It's more the difference in costs as I have another car too.

not too worried about the performance aspect as I have quite a light right foot and I'm used to considerably greater performance anyway.

It's more the difference in costs as I have another car too.

A good N/A then, petrol & insurance will defo be more, thats about it.

would you genuinely describe it as a practical? Can people ever sit in the back?

No, it's not practical in terms of carrying stuff and/or >1 passenger regularly, but it's just practical enough to make me not be annoyed by it. For example, if a 2nd passenger asked you for a lift, you could provide it, although it wouldn't be a comfy ride for them or indeed you.

I'd just find a 2 seater car too limiting. Too much saying "sorry, I can't take my car because it's only got 2 seats". Just my personal pet hate. :)

When you say caught out, do you just mean it will have higher performance?

That's right. Although it's not just about being higher powered. 2 factors are at work here which will affect the way the car drives: 1) RWD; 2) Turbos. FWD and RWD cars can react differently when provoked into losing grip. The turbo one is obviously not an issue if you buy an NA, but a turbo'd car will have a kind of spike in its response curve when the turbos make significant boost. A non-turbo'd car is more linear in its throttle response.

Hopefully that hasn't come across as teaching you to suck eggs, that's not my intention. :) I don't know how much you know about performance cars so I thought I'd explain. Also, note that I don't have a turbo car myself so what I've written is what I've learnt from others, not 1st hand experience.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

Guest freshprince

Not at all, I have a fair ammount of experience in driving rwd and turbo cars, never at the same time though. I think I should be ok, I'm going to look at a supra today and see what deal I can strike with the garage. Really i'm hoping for reasonable cash back my way from trade in.

Just trying to see whether I will be able to afford to run the car etc.

I keep hearing they are reliable cars, but surely at this age they are starting to get less reliable??

As long as they are looked after these cars are very reliable. Mines a daily driver. On 1500 miles a month you will get stung a bit in petrol but its so worth it. Try insurance companies such as sky and A plan for quotes. If you do a search on here you will get loads of info on that. I think its maybe worth you getting one as you seem very keen. If it costs you too much you can always sell up:)

I keep hearing they are reliable cars, but surely at this age they are starting to get less reliable??

If properly maintained the engine should be good for a lot of miles, but like any car of it's age parts will wear out and need replacing, this is where it can get expensive.

I would get the car on a ramp if possible and get all the suspension components checked, there must be a lot of cars on the road now with the original factory fitted components, which will be well past their best. Completely overhauling the suspension is an expensive exercise.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest freshprince

right, well I've been and looked at a few and not found one in good enough condition yet.

So i'm going to wait until I find the perfect car, even if it takes a year :)

I'm in no rush to buy, although I only have a few more posts on here.. so I will save them for updates until I buy and then join up.

Shame it's only 20 really as it seems like a nice place to be :)

right, well I've been and looked at a few and not found one in good enough condition yet.

I'm in no rush to buy, although I only have a few more posts on here.. so I will save them for updates until I buy and then join up.

It is, and even if you don't buy a Supra I think you'll find the technical knowledge on here to be worth the joining fee :)

Good call chap. Take your time, 'tis a buyer's market.

To put it into context,

I have an NA, which hasn't had the kindness of lives...it still had a VERY good dyno run and was very close to the specified factory output. The only issue it has had has been the heater matrix going.

And now it is about to have a completely different life sat there naked :)

Here is one at the 5k mark, and from the limited description and pics looks rather nice

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=153735&highlight=smiles181

Some really top advice here. Nicely done folks.:thumbs:

Welcome Freshprince and yep it is a buyers market.

One thing not mentioned yet, it may be in your interest to give our friendly importer a call. Names Jurgen

Details

Just read a couple of threads with Jurgen in them to see how highly he's regarded. :)