The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Enforcement - Speeding

Stevie72

:D

Thats correct.

Ex Police vehicles are stripped completely of all equipment...some parts are replaced with stock where they would be too damaged to use...otherwise you get lots of holes left :taped:

This guy sounds like a fantasist/potential stalker/nutter :search::D

It was one of the old bikes i think, but with stickers and police badges ect removed.

It did look like it had a spy hole camera where they have them as i quickly glanced when he said - but as someone rightly pointed out, (if if) it works, it probably isn't calibrated correctly and probably doesn't even work.

To the other chap with his bikes, i didn't mean to imply that riders are partial to taking over the roads, it was just a view of one of the Traffic cops, indeed most bikers i encounter are good folk and appreciative of the machinery they drive.

Thanks for all your comments and more importantly perhaps a better nights sleep.

Cheers

On a related note did anyone watch The Gadget Show tonight? They featured an in-car camera that films 20secs of footage before recording over itself.

They were banging on about how it could be used to 'prove' other drivers were driving recklessly, who caused an accident etc etc.

I forsee a nation of public informants sending the least little thing to the Police. Heck, you think it's bad now when people flash you for the crime of *gasp* overtaking...

This was going to be my Big Idea to make a lot of money. Looks like I've been beaten to it, and anyway there are companies in the USA that already offer this type of system.

I think the in-car cameras would be good for putting a stop to people denying responsibility when they cause accidents.

Stevie_Big_Brother: you know, I think it's catchy! :D One of my associates will be calling round to finalise this with you shortly. Don't worry, we already know where you live! :)

I think it would be a shame to have cameras in cars. Everyone watching everyone else, etc. As you say, very Big Brother. What I dislike even more though is people trying to wiggle out of liability after an RTA. I see the main losers being the legal firms and "ambulance chasers" who prolong insurance claims by disputing them, even when fault is (or appears to be, it's obviously open to abuse by all sides) clear.

I first got the idea after being involved in an minor RTA myself. Another party tried to stitch me up, presumably so he wouldn't lose his NCB or something. His word against mine, and very difficult to prove. Some footage would have brought the argument to a quick halt.

The guy is obviously a total tool possibly seriously deranged. What ever his motives he should be stopped before he causes someone to have an accident.

The whole informant thing is so open to abuse. Just take a look at that web site ( cant find it ) that allows users to post the vehicle registrations of cars "they" think have done some thing wrong. Read a few pages and you will see several members who see bad driving everywhere. if the "evidence" they cited stood up in court, the roads would be empty. There is no way any photographic or recorded video imaging system could be guaranteed tamper proof, therefore the evidence would be inadmissible.

In "my version", I was intending on storing the video as encrypted files, using as strong an encryption as I could within the time constraints of actually processing the stuff in real time. I agree even that wouldn't be 100% safe though. I do agree though that there's a high risk of furthering the Nanny State if people record you driving at 71mph (or a bit more :innocent:) and report you. The crucial difference at the moment is that guilt for speeding and dangerous driving offences is decided by evidence collected by the police. "Guilt" in terms of liability in a minor RTA can be decided between insurance companies themselves. Therefore self-recorded evidence could be used by the insurers to decide liability, but (hopefully!) not by the police for other road traffic offences.

PS when reading this thread, did anyone else think of a skinny version of Tackleberry from Police Academy?

StevieB - actually alot of Police Academy films are being re-run i think i ITV2, brings back some memories and still funny.

PS I am glad to have possibly started a new business initative! But can you imagine a world full of cameras, with people catching people out and tricking them ect ect, I mean to get a car towed away from our residential parking area (despite several signs) is almost impossible, for the fact that you could just report someone willy nilly and get the towed away!

I will let you know if anything further comes of this and will certainly pay the police a further visit in a few weeks to see if they followed anything up with the Company.

Kind Regards

Steve