The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just weighed the Supra

jevansio

Really? I thought a stock bonnet only weighed in at a pathetic 13kg or something? Prepared to be proven wrong, but all I know is that my Corsa bonnet definitely feels a LOT heavier than my Supra's.

stock j-spec bonnet without heat insulation weighs 11 kg

why do the vin plates on uk cars say 1940kg?

I think that the maximum weight the car can be (i.e. kerb weight plus anything being carried by the car).

Edit:http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/Reference/VinPlate.html

Stock bonnet is very light, rear tailgate is quite heavy though I believe. The doors are VERY heavy. Remove speakers, electric windows, fit lexan... There are Seibon CF tailgate and doors I believe.

Spot on. Having removed all these parts rcently, the doors and tailgate are incredibly heavy, should have weighted them, but I'd imagine the doors are upwards of 30kg each

but I'd imagine the doors are upwards of 30kg each

i am seriously into weight reduction but some things i wont compromise on, dont forget this weight is there for a reason, in a side impact it could literally mean the difference between life and death

i am seriously into weight reduction but some things i wont compromise on, dont forget this weight is there for a reason, in a side impact it could literally mean the difference between life and death

Completely agree Paul, there's no way I'd swap the doors out, despite the weight. The reinforcement in them is pretty impressive. The tailgate is another matter though! :D

Mike B weighed a front one (no tyre) in at around 8.5kg IIRC

7.4kg

They are insanely light, quite spooky when you pick up the box. A good forged rim is 14kg usually, and I'm sure 18" tyres are a lot lighter than 19" tyres too so the saving is large!!

I went down the public weighbridge this morning with my mate to get the cars weighed, mine came in at 1480kg (1/4 tank fuel), I'm quite confident I can get it down to a straight 1400kg.

Not sure what the base weight is for a j-spec, the suprahardtop registry says the base for a '94 TT is 1580kg but I guess that's a full fat US spec (as per the UK spec).

Yeh i want to get rid of my A/C too. I never use it as it doesn't help in fuel consumption so, in my eyes, there's no point in it being there...

I have Recaro seats, CF dash and CF steering wheel and the ultra light Volk TE37'S so any guess-timations as to how much weight has been saved here?? :search:

Yeh i want to get rid of my A/C too. I never use it as it doesn't help in fuel consumption so, in my eyes, there's no point in it being there...

I have Recaro seats, CF dash and CF steering wheel and the ultra light Volk TE37'S so any guess-timations as to how much weight has been saved here?? :search:

The dash and steering wheel will be the same if not more (they have stuck-on fake CF parts. They weight nothing to begin with

The seats will save about 10kg, but the recaro's are not light by any means.

There's not a lot of weight to remove from the supra unless you go the single route and start stripping the car, fit lightweight wheels, brakes, etc.

The dash and steering wheel will be the same if not more (they have stuck-on fake CF parts. They weight nothing to begin with

The seats will save about 10kg, but the recaro's are not light by any means.

There's not a lot of weight to remove from the supra unless you go the single route and start stripping the car, fit lightweight wheels, brakes, etc.

True, the steering wheel though is genuine CF but not sure about the dash...

What do the Volk TE37'S weigh??

Yeah doors are something that I'll be keeping.

You got yours yet Mike?

I have one!

still :search: for the other 3 :D

another few weeks.

Car will be off the road for a month, I'm toying with putting a cast manifold on, bigger oil cooler and need to sort the FBY and det sensors.