The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bang, Bye bye engine

hoff

lucky the extinguisher was close by then, could've been worse. hope you get it sorted quickly and cheaply as it's crap having your car off the road

Very luck. I will be buying one tomorrow:d

Sad end to the day but could have been worse....

Give us a shout if you need any help or lifts mate, dont worry about Japfest, if your not up and running again we can share the driving as i said earlier:D

Ps bet your in the pub celebrating the title:D

Cheers Jamie:) And yes the footy has cheered me up no end:d Had a few to celerbrate but up early tomorrow as I think Ive got me an engine to pick up:more:

A big thanks too for the guys who have been intouch about an engine. I may still need one if tomorrow doesn't work out:)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Remember the camera adds 10 pounds, was magictorch taking one too:d

Have a good holiday mate, I may text you to let you know how its going later in the week with japfest in mind if thats ok:)

please let me know how you get on

good luck

jamie

Really sorry to hear this Adam, what a nightmare after a nice day out :(

You mentioned that you thought the car was down on power in the last week, I guess there was something untoward going on for a little while. Was there a hole in the block of anything (i.e rod snapped?) Just wondering why there was so much oil...

Best of luck getting it sorted. An NA engine shouldn't be too expensive to pick up, so if you know someone handy with the spanners it's less than a days work to change the engine.

Thanks Darryl:) The events as leading to the the demise were:

Hit the rev limitter in 2nd or 3rd (dont remember which) which waspretty stupid:rolleyes:. I then eased of before getting to 4k when i noticed the power drop right off. Then tried again to see if i had imagined it then a large rattle at 3.5k followed by the bang from the engine. All with in 30 seconds to a minute. We've not checked it properly but the engine is totally ceased. But I was so stupid pushing the engine so hard:( We learn from our mistakes though.

Edit: Thats the first time I think Ive ever pushed it that hard.

Edited by hoff (see edit history)

looks like you're squeezing a large one out:p

lol :D

Sorry to hear this Adam.

Hitting the rev limiter is not ideal....but at the end of the day Toyota set it at that level to prevent engine damage by over revving so although that may well have accelerated a pre existing problem.....it could have been waiting to happen.

On the plus side NA engines are dirt cheap so you shouldnt get hit too hard financially :)

Thanks Darryl:) The events as leading to the the demise were:

Hit the rev limitter in 2nd or 3rd (dont remember which) which waspretty stupid:rolleyes:

You should be able to hit the rev limiter all day long on a good NA, they're pretty much bullet proof. There must have been a problem with the engine... don't blame yourself.

gutted for you mate gutted:( i would think the dyno stress probably weakened something, bloody shame though

Probably right Gaz. When mine started making funny noises then blew up like an F1 engine (white smoke billowing out of the engine) I was worried, but turned out to be the AC pulley belt frying itself. Not sure if the Dyno highlighted a weak spot or not, but I guess you take your chances putting on the rollers to some extent.