The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tax!!!!

markus99

I contacted DVLA about the tax issue (I have a 97 TT imported in 2007) and it's only done on emissions for cars registered after 2001 with them so my '97 is on the old system (£185 for the year) despite being registered in 2007 with DVLA.

It's done on the date of manufacture so the vast majority of Supras are taxed the old way not on emissions. :D

So why is my TT put on the new system if yours isnt?!

My '98 TT was bought in December last year...Has your supe got the reading of CO2 on the V5 document????

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope, no emissions on the MOT.

Might be worth calling them direct to confirm. When was yours made? If it's pre 2001 it's definitely done on the date of manufacture so talk to a manager if they try to give you the runaround.

Ive already done that mate! Even though my Supe was manufactured in 1998, when i bought it, it had 303g/Km of CO2 and was registered in the M1 catorgory printed

on my V5 document...

Thats confusing as to why your Supe isnt in the same catorgory as mine...:blink:

Most confusing. I'd write to them if I were you.

It's all well and good calling but I've had different answers from different people in the same call centre from so many different companies I just write to complain now if it's something major like this. Explain what you've found out on this forum of course and see what that gets you.

Most confusing. I'd write to them if I were you.

It's all well and good calling but I've had different answers from different people in the same call centre from so many different companies I just write to complain now if it's something major like this. Explain what you've found out on this forum of course and see what that gets you.

Ok keener, good idea. Not trying to sound silly but which part of the DVLA am i best off to write to as there are a few different parts to the DVLA????

So why is my TT put on the new system if yours isnt?!

My '98 TT was bought in December last year...Has your supe got the reading of CO2 on the V5 document????

Sorry to :hijack: but this is my V5.

Is it similar to yours? I can't figure out what those CO2 readings are and if they're going to affect my next tax payment (end of May).

supra emissions V5.jpg

I don't have any of that on my V5. Section 3 just says that it was registered overseas originally and was manufactured in 1997.

Nothing about emissions on the MOT either.

When I called DVLA a while ago to check the tax rules they checked the number plate of the vehicle and it said £185 for the year. He then confirmed it's done on age of car.

Give them your number plate and see what it comes up with.

most places here are about €1.20c a litre of 95ron, isnt urs about £1.05 a litre which would nearly be the same?

According to the AA your average is e1.16 ours is e1.39

Ok, not 30 cents but how many litres do you use a year? I use about 40 litres a week- difference is 500 euros a year.

According to the AA your average is e1.16 ours is e1.39

Ok, not 30 cents but how many litres do you use a year? I use about 40 litres a week- difference is 500 euros a year.

the cheapest i can find is €1.22 and thats just 95ron.. v-power is about €1.28.. i brought my supra back from the UK last year, paid €1300 VRT and just under €1300 road tax!!

@ Homer, yes the insurance is still banana`s in the last 3 years iv had an old evo3, scooby wrx and now the supra, the only way i could get insurance was a trade insurance. im 28 too so not a child, 8k in 3years.. believe me you guys are lucky!!

Sorry to :hijack: but this is my V5.

Is it similar to yours? I can't figure out what those CO2 readings are and if they're going to affect my next tax payment (end of May).

Have a look inside your V5 and it should have a clear reading of your emissions. If it says something like mine 303g/Km of CO2 and M1 catorgory

approved, there is a possible chance.

If it doesnt say that or your CO2 reads 0g/Km or n/a, you are in the clear Multics...:)

When was your supe imported/bought??

Edit: Just read the bottom of the first page of my V5, it reads;

SVA CERT ISSUED 31 08 2006 EMISSION LIMIT - %CO 0.5; 0.3FI HC 0.02FI: LAMBDA 0.97-1.03.

No there isn't.

My '53 plate 3.2Ltr M3 (in the highest emissions category) costs less than that to tax. No way an older Supra with a smaller engine could cost that much.

Mate i checked with dvla and my m3 is a 2002 and our tax is going up to £440/£455 a year from march 2009.

My tax runs out next month so i will be buying 6 mths which will end in nov 08 and then will buy 12 mths (at current rates £220 ish for year) to take me till nov 09.

So at least i get a year and half on current prices before the gov't shafts me.

how you finding the m3? is yours manual or smg?

confused about the tax thing, so are we going to be paying silly amounts of tax for the supra it being 3ltr twin and all because one of the drivers in work said that they are supposed to be hammering older cars with big tax,or trying to anyway, how long can the petrol prices keep on going up until the countrys people just blow theyre top is what i want to know. how can they just keep rising the cost all the time, i think there should be a protest on a national scale if you ask me, americas people moaning because they are paying like £2.50 a gallon, THIS COUNTRY IS A BIT F'#KING NUTS.

For Jake & other "M1" class cars:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=528213

The important bit:

It is understood the increases are being introduced in two stages, with many owners who are now paying £210 a year being charged £300 in 2009 and up to £455 in 2010.

Well the thing im having trouble understanding is how my car is under the M1 class and was imported last year along with a few other member's supe's on here...

the thing is, how come their cars aren't under the new rules but mine is????

Well the thing im having trouble understanding is how my car is under the M1 class and was imported last year along with a few other member's supe's on here...

the thing is, how come their cars aren't under the new rules but mine is????

Your guess is probably as good as any gov't officials, as i think them fooools dont have a clue.

They just do what they want and dont think about it or anyone else.

It's just been pointed out elsewhere that cars imported after 01/03/06 should have a C02 reading as part of the SVA.

Slightly more worrying is someone else mentioned they have a friend who works at the DVLA who has said that the DVLA are looking into all imports registed after 01/03/06 for tax fraud (he said tax dodge).

Lets hope they don't go after PLG's....