The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Shmoking getting worse

DannoSupra

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turbo's seem to be ok.. yes they are noisier, only because i had to put an induction kit cos of IC pipework.... but they boost all the same, no smoke under boost. Did have an issue before with noise, but it turned out to be a weak vac hose joint, sorted that and it was ok.

It'll smoke on Idle when warm, sometimes upton startup. And after a rev like in the vid.

If the Turbo Seals have gone, will it trickle into the Inlet side too? i know a bit of oil is normal, in say the BOV, Is there a way of saying that they are gone without having to send them away, i cant be spending more on it if i want to sell.. but i cant sell it like this, i want it to be perfect and spot on for the next owner

Turbo's seem to be ok.. yes they are noisier, only because i had to put an induction kit cos of IC pipework.... but they boost all the same, no smoke under boost. Did have an issue before with noise, but it turned out to be a weak vac hose joint, sorted that and it was ok.

It'll smoke on Idle when warm, sometimes upton startup. And after a rev like in the vid.

If the Turbo Seals have gone, will it trickle into the Inlet side too? i know a bit of oil is normal, in say the BOV, Is there a way of saying that they are gone without having to send them away, i cant be spending more on it if i want to sell.. but i cant sell it like this, i want it to be perfect and spot on for the next owner

Mate I would count out turbo seals for now until you have reason to suspect them, everything you have said and the video points to valve stem seals......

There was a good test that someone posted on here, think it might have been Nic, but he said something like floor it to a certain revs, let off and then blip the throttle, if you get a puff of smoke then its deffo valve stem seals, I will try and find it.....

i wish mine smoked like that lol on start up my supra filled the street with white smoke and i mean you couldnt see anything lol found four of the cylinders were down power so she is getting a rebuild just out of curiosity (i dont no internals that well) were bouts in the head is the valve stem oil seals at?

I'd say it was your turbo seals, 95%. Your valve stem seals would only smoke like that on idle if they were well and truely knackered! You'd be getting a hell of a lot of smoke on startup if this was the case. Worn valve stem seals only show themselves up on startup when the engine has been sitting long enough for oil to pass down the side of them and in to the combustion chamber. For oil to pass them quick enough and get in to the combustion chamber whilst the engine is running, and produce smoke, is very unlikely.

For oil to pass through worn turbo seals when the engine/turbo/oil is hot is very likely

All my own opinion obviously, and im usually wrong :)

I'd say it was your turbo seals, 95%. Your valve stem seals would only smoke like that on idle if they were well and truely knackered! You'd be getting a hell of a lot of smoke on startup if this was the case. Worn valve stem seals only show themselves up on startup when the engine has been sitting long enough for oil to pass down the side of them and in to the combustion chamber. For oil to pass them quick enough and get in to the combustion chamber whilst the engine is running, and produce smoke, is very unlikely.

For oil to pass through worn turbo seals when the engine/turbo/oil is hot is very likely

All my own opinion obviously, and im usually wrong :)

But its not on idle, he blips the throttle and it smokes on over run, which is valve stem seals as over run causes a vacum on the top of the engine........

But saying that, if your stem seals are well and trully gone, then it'll be like having no seals at all... And as i say, if my tubby's had gone then they'de be on the inlet side... and there's nothing

Danno, have a read of this, there is some good info in there by Ryan.......

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=146576&highlight=smoke

My car has been off the road for weeks now:(, as mine started smoking, but it has now progressed to a ridiculous level. Especially bad on over run from 3.5krpm and lower.

I have spoke to lots of people and garages and some say valve stems, and some say turbos, is there no difinitive test?:rolleyes:

Mine started to smoke last yr after i put a second hand set of j-spec tubbies on, as a replacement for faulty units. Because of this i think and hope it is my turbo seals