The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oh no ... knocking....HELP ME

ManwithSupra

Just checked on the torque wrench mine only goes up to 210nm going to have to buy another one now :(

The weather is still quite bad so i doubt i will be able to get this crank pully off today - looks like it going to have to be tomoz :(

You just need a scaffold bar, and a beefy breaker bar to fit it over to get it off :)

but you will indeed need a beast of a torque wrench to get it off!

Try searching ebay for 'norbar' torque wrenches

they are reasonably priced and the big boys can do huge torques!

Its what mine is and it does up to 500ftlbs iirc (if I could get that much on it which is dubious)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have got a 26" heavy duty breaker bar so it should do the trick in getting the pully off, i just needed to get a torque wrnch that would go over 300Nm which i now have :) Although i dont have a 22mm impact socket as yet so going to see if i can get one tomoz

A 1/2" breaker bar bends like a banana when you put some really serious torque on it (like 300nm +!)...especially with a scaffold pole over it

if its 3/4" you will be fine.

I forgot to mention but have you got the locking tool?

There is always the starter motor if you lock the bar off correctly. But Im not keen on that sort of method!

Yeah was going to try the starter motor idea, i mean i think the crank pulley is loose anyway so should not need to much force to loosen it off. - I havent got a locking tool but once the pully is off i can quickly make one up - well hopefully lol.

This is just to check the condition of the end of the crank shaft and to make sure i have not destroyed the woodruff key. I dont have a replacement pulley as yet so this is a case of checking whats damaged and putting it all back for a prognosis

This will determin that its either a new engine (not going to bother with a bottom end rebuild) or a general repair.

Yeah was going to try the starter motor idea, i mean i think the crank pulley is loose anyway so should not need to much force to loosen it off. - I havent got a locking tool but once the pully is off i can quickly make one up - well hopefully lol.

This is just to check the condition of the end of the crank shaft and to make sure i have not destroyed the woodruff key. I dont have a replacement pulley as yet so this is a case of checking whats damaged and putting it all back for a prognosis

This will determin that its either a new engine (not going to bother with a bottom end rebuild) or a general repair.

Unless you are using an airtool you will need to lock the pulley, in order to remove the bolt, and remove the pulley.... in order to check the crank!

Right - ended up taking to Toyoda Tech due to the weather - they have taken the crank pully off and its not good !!

The Crank Pully was very loose and the Woodruff key is badly damaged, but he has said the end of the crank shaft is not damaged, he is going to try and replace the woodruff key but it looks like that a replacement key wont work as he suspects the woodruff key slot has widened :( but its worth a shot.

He has suggested that if this is the case then it is a Crank out job to be taken to a machinist to make another oversized woodruff key for the crank - has this been done before and is it worth it??

I am tempted just to get another engine and be done with it.... i am not happy at all :(

I need some opinions??? i just dont know what to do :( feeling a little depressed :cry:

If the taper is undamaged, I would carefully lap the new pulley onto the crank taper using a fine diamond lapping paste (ensuring none gets anywhere near the front seal!).

If you can achieve total contact between the tapers, you may save it. The key is only there for location, its the tapers that are critical. Not the perfect solution, but you may be lucky.

Right - ended up taking to Toyoda Tech due to the weather - they have taken the crank pully off and its not good !!

The Crank Pully was very loose and the Woodruff key is badly damaged, but he has said the end of the crank shaft is not damaged, he is going to try and replace the woodruff key but it looks like that a replacement key wont work as he suspects the woodruff key slot has widened :( but its worth a shot.

He has suggested that if this is the case then it is a Crank out job to be taken to a machinist to make another oversized woodruff key for the crank - has this been done before and is it worth it??

I am tempted just to get another engine and be done with it.... i am not happy at all :(

I need some opinions??? i just dont know what to do :( feeling a little depressed :cry:

Bad news mate :(

Personally, I would say that the end of the crank needs to be closely inspected to see if it is still in tolerance.

I wouldnt be surprised if it has distorted it with all the banging and vibration of the loose pulley and the keyway getting mis shapen.

Also, without knowing the cause of the loose pulley, if it was me I would be looking to rebuilding the engine, or buying another.