The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID's OMG!

Scott

Nothing and i don't have a problem with that. I enjoy a debate but what i don't like is being told i am wrong with no explanation or understanding of my point of view from someone who couldn't care less anyway.

I'm curious, why would you feel the need to jump in on this thread only to be negative towards me? You don't know me, you have no reason to want to know me, there is no reason for you to care what i think about anything, regardless of whether its relating to supra's or not, so why on earth would you join this thread? I wasn't asking a question or requesting any input from anyone so why reply to be negative? Why not just keep on walking and try to be constructive elsewhere instead of negative?

In your initial post on here you asked a question. Why did you ask that question? It makes no difference to you what the reply is as you couldn't care less about what i think or my reasons for doing anything. Are you searching for conflict or something?

Scott =op

Fight fight fight :duel:

Back on topic,

I thought about these but then would be forced to change the rest of my lights.

Fight fight fight :duel:

Back on topic,

I thought about these but then would be forced to change the rest of my lights.

Thats the kind of predicament i am in now. The HID's look superb but the sidelights look shocking in comparison lol.

Scott =op

It's threads like this that make me wonder if mine are ok (unfortunately I got 6000K ones and now wish I'd got the 4200K ones instead).

However, although yes they are brighter, it's not quite the OMG ITS LIEK TEH NITE AND DAY DIFRENCE!!!!7!! that everyone bangs on about.

Out of interest does anyone known the luminosity of the OEM Merc and BMW bulbs? They always seem a little blue to me, but are superb from a drivers POV

I've checked the thread and nobody seems to have answered you.

I was reliably informed that OEM HIDs use 4300k temperature bulbs but as the projectors in the headlamp are specifically designed for HID use this is what gives the blue tint as the light is reflected through the lens but a bright white light from the driver's view.

The same effect can be achieved with a full HID conversion taking the entire projectors, ballasts and bulbs from say a Range Rover, BMW, Honda S2000 etc. There was a thread some time ago which detailed this conversion and it did look very impressive but cost a hell of a lot more.

I've heard... and read... that the HIDs you see in Mercs and BMWs are actually closer to 6000s as far as the color of light put out. For this reason, I chose them for mine. Can't wait til they arrive. I've read that 4300 are more yellow. I don't like yellow, so I made a leap of faith and went for 6000, 9005 low beams and H3 fogs. I'll look into the LED sides at a later date.

It's threads like this that make me wonder if mine are ok (unfortunately I got 6000K ones and now wish I'd got the 4200K ones instead).

However, although yes they are brighter, it's not quite the OMG ITS LIEK TEH NITE AND DAY DIFRENCE!!!!7!! that everyone bangs on about.

Have a look at these pics Linky. Thats what mine look like now which is night and day compared to how they were.

I've ordered a set of LED sidelights and supposedly bright white H3's for the fog lights. They weren't expensive so no real loss if they are crap.

Cheers

Scott =op

Have a look at these pics Linky. Thats what mine look like now which is night and day compared to how they were.

I'd say that's probably how mine look too, but you can't really tell without comparing directly. I still say it's not a massive difference, perhaps the philips bulbs I had in before were just particularly bright.

I took one of my friends from work out in the car last night and he was amazed with how bright my lights were. When i pulled into the carpark i stopped and pulled on the full beam. There was hardly any difference at all. It didn't make the carpark light up much more, it mearly moved the light up a bit and made it a bit yellow lol.

Sounds like you had good bulbs then as i can't get away with the difference.

Scott =op

Define "Diamond White"? Sounds like a colour desc from an advert.

6000K is blueish, 4200K is whiter. (I have both but the 6000K is that embarrassing chavtastic blueish colour)

6000K is fine, legal and not for chavs.

I am not a chav, and I enjoy them immensely.

Anyway, chavs dont drive supra's to my knowledge, so we are all safe anyway.

I took one of my friends from work out in the car last night and he was amazed with how bright my lights were. When i pulled into the carpark i stopped and pulled on the full beam. There was hardly any difference at all. It didn't make the carpark light up much more, it merely moved the light up a bit and made it a bit yellow lol.
PIAA Extreme Force 4700K 9005/9006 bulbs (H259) seem to be on some sort of special offer at the moment (£32.78 +VAT per pair). Might match the HID dips better.