The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Arrived; the volk wheel that weight 7.44kg

Mike B

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep and i love them to mate :D , I'm running 9.5 all round +42 on the front with uk breaks

that's close... may I ask if you have 5mm between the spokes and calipers?

I don't know if they move the placement of the rim on the spokes or machine the seat of the wheelface to match the desired offset? I hope for the latter, would make life easy...

I'm still guessiing until Chris finishes with the car.

May I just ask a little off-topic question here Mike? Well tough cos I'm going to ask anyway :D

Just what level of performance increase (whether it be acceleration, handling, etc) would the average person feel when dropping 8kg of wheel weight from each corner?

Is it simply an overall weight loss (32kg) that’s the goal or is there as more specific reason such as losing unsprung weight? Also, wouldn't your spring/damper rates and alignment need to be adjusted to take advantage of the change?

It's just that £2k to lose 32kg in overall weight doesn't seem very cost effective to me :search: I'm really not having a dig here, just trying to understand why such sums of money are worthwhile spending on a set of lightweight wheels.

I blame Chris!

Firstly; I wanted to go from 19 to 18, and I wanted correct offsets, so I set myself up to buy some new wheels... and I'll sell the old ones once refurbed, so not too much of a financial woe.

Then there is the weight issue; the wheel is moving up and down a lot; especially where I live on rough country roads... chris will tell you weight is a big issue; specifically unsprung weight. I'm also sure braking and acelleration is also helped with lighter wheels.

so it's not car weight, for that i would take the sub out of the boot... :innocent: it's the weight the suspension has to deal with that's important.

For me it's all about getting the handling right. I have gone back to stock bushes too, ditched the crappy poly ones; two sets I have had now and they are both rubbish. The wheel choice is partly about weight but mostly around getting the handling as good as I can.

Chris has also found that one of my front upper wishbones had a slight bend in it :blink:

All the work I have done on sups over the last 5 years has been done to a strict budget, and through jiggery pokery I have not shelled out a lot! I have reciepts for my car running into 60k, but that's not what i paid for it ;)

that's close... may I ask if you have 5mm between the spokes and calipers?

I don't know if they move the placement of the rim on the spokes or machine the seat of the wheelface to match the desired offset? I hope for the latter, would make life easy...

I'm still guessiing until Chris finishes with the car.

ill take a measurement for you tomorrow mike;)

May I just ask a little off-topic question here Mike? Well tough cos I'm going to ask anyway :D

Just what level of performance increase (whether it be acceleration, handling, etc) would the average person feel when dropping 8kg of wheel weight from each corner?

Is it simply an overall weight loss (32kg) that’s the goal or is there as more specific reason such as losing unsprung weight? Also, wouldn't your spring/damper rates and alignment need to be adjusted to take advantage of the change?

It's just that £2k to lose 32kg in overall weight doesn't seem very cost effective to me :search: I'm really not having a dig here, just trying to understand why such sums of money are worthwhile spending on a set of lightweight wheels.

rotational weight works out alot more that just the weight of the rims, i forget the ratio as ive just come back in after a few shandies :D but i would guess it would be over 100kg's of rolling weight which is well worth it ;)

very nice rims, looks like you will need to space them out a little as the offset is a little small but one of the best looking wheels on the market ;)

Mike

So is rotational weight the transmission loss? The same as getting a lightened flywheel etc?

Surely if you factor that in with the weight of the wheels there is quite a big difference?

I'm wondering if my car has a lightened flywheel, pulling away feels funny sometimes and its harder to judge than any other car i have driven.

Scott =op

Very nice. Be interested to see how they hold up on our roads. Heavy cars/shite roads/light wheels often make for bent rims.

If they fit over my Alcons, I might get some as a 2nd set. What is the max width they offer?

They should be pretty strong.. I hope...,

This is what the recommend;

http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/cgi-bin/cgi2/matching.cgi?modelName=CE28N&inchIndex=4

This what they make;

http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/cgi-bin/cgi2/english/sizeGuide.cgi?modelName=CE28N

max 10" on 18"

I've purchased some Poorboys wheel sealant which has been recommended....will be putting it on mine soon.

Otherwise, I know Envy recommend Zoopseal which is also supposed to be quite good.

:)

hmmm.. thanx.. may try a coat of both ;)

And Rimwax £14 A Tin :blink: Good stuff though. :) Now go for 3 coats Lol.

Lovely wheels btw. Also learning loads from you too. :)Thanks for that.

Hi Mike you got 9.33 mm to play with on a +42 his some pics

You are a star! thanks very much... looks like my luck may be in, but it will be close!

Also learning loads from you too. :)

Blimey there's a first! Thanks, I must admit this forum has taught me so much, I am VERY greatful to it....

very nice wheel, what finish is this?....

pretty sure that is titanium too. I nearly went for bronze... seeing as this is an all alloy wheel you can change the colour if you want to refurb.

With a +50 mm your going to have more of a gap then i got as your pushing it out more!

+50 is actually less.... I know it sounds strange, but the higher the offset the closer the wheel is to the centre of the car... and caliper, so a +47 offset is going to be 5mm closer to the caliper than yours.... assuming that they change the offset by adjusting the thickness of the hub.

There is a full explanantion on the tyre and wheel bible site... gave me a bit of a headache, but it's worth a read.

+50 is actually less.... I know it sounds strange, but the higher the offset the closer the wheel is to the centre of the car... and caliper, so a +47 offset is going to be 5mm closer to the caliper than yours.... assuming that they change the offset by adjusting the thickness of the hub.

There is a full explanantion on the tyre and wheel bible site... gave me a bit of a headache, but it's worth a read.

I was going to say that but wasn't 100% sure in my mind so thought best not to make an arse of myself :D

that's strange then mate as the offset on my wheels are +34 and +42 both 9.5 " wide . the +34 were on the font of a car with j spec breaks and the +42 on the back but the +34 wont go over uk breaks !

That's really odd!!! you got me there! lol

are you sure that the rims are both 9.5 wide, as that is highly unusual on a supra in it's own right, it would mean you are running 255/265 on the fronts of the car? I struggle with clearance on 245 when the car is low...

Usual is 8.5 front (235/245 tyre) 9.5 rear (265-285 tyre).

check this out;

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg2.html

where they say "Inset and outset are subsets of offset and the relationship is this : positive offset = inset. Negative offset = outset. It may sound counterintuitive, but when you increase the inset of a wheel, you decrease the clearance between the inner edge of the wheel and the suspension components."