The mkiv Supra Owners Club

trickle charger - where to mount the -ve?

Branners

Self amalgamating tape is quite odd to use. It's not sticky. When you come to putting the tape on, don't cut off a long length. 2" should be more than enough. Do the first wrap holding the starting point in place and stretch the tape as you wrap it keeping it tight all the way. a 2" strip will soon become 6"!

Over time, the tape moulds itself and becomes one waterproof rubberish blob.

It's good stuff to have around for any outdoor connections including engine bay, domestic, aerial connections etc.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best type of joint would be a soldered joint and wrapped in self amalgamating tape. The tape is the important part because normal insulation tape will hold moisture and cause the joint to corrode and breakdown.

Thanks for the tip Matt. I like to use shrink wrap, will that keep moisture out, or is it like to draw in moisture by capillary action?

Thanks for the tip Matt. I like to use shrink wrap, will that keep moisture out, or is it like to draw in moisture by capillary action?

Normal shrink wrap isn't bad, but as you say, can keep moisture in if it's not perfectly sealed. However, you can get self adhesive shrink wrap that has a layer of glue inside that melts as it shrinks.

To be fair, either amalgamating tape or adhesive shrink wrap would be ideal for outside use.

Self amalgamating tape moulds itself and becomes one waterproof rubberish blob.

It's good stuff to have around for any outdoor connections including engine bay, domestic, aerial connections etc.

I always prefer to use this for outside stuff. :)

I buy the heat shrink with the adhesive inside from Maplins, it's thicker than the normal stuff and has a higher shrink ratio too.

Time to buy a trickle charger I think as the car doesn't get used often.

The best type of joint would be a soldered joint and wrapped in self amalgamating tape. The tape is the important part because normal insulation tape will hold moisture and cause the joint to corrode and breakdown.

You didn't warn me about the price of the tape :)

£8 a roll in Maplin, luckily they were out of stock so I bought some on eBay for £4.24 posted (19mm x 10m)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Michael: I'm thinking about getting a solar charger for the supra. Are there any that you'd recommend or warn against buying?

I think I just tried to be too much of a cheapskate and didn't get ones that had enough grunt - there was another thread about them I think and someone mentioned the spec needed to look after a Supra battery but I can't remember what was said.

Maplin have a 13w one on offer at the moment but I'm not sure of that's up to the job either, I don't really do electricity, I'm more of a nuts and bolts man :)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99760

• 9 months later...

For anyone on a budget Aldi have a similar thing to the CTEK available from the 8th:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_11443.htm?WT.mc_id=2009-10-05-16-34

£12. 99

• 4 charging modes: Car, Cold, Motorbike and 6V mode
  • Charging current: 3.8 amp (car), 0.8 amp (motorbike)
  • Suitable for all 12V car batteries and 6V/12V motorbike batteries
  • Overheat protection
  • Reverse polarity protection

attachment.php?attachmentid=99462&stc=1&d=1254765535

• 10 months later...

Great thread resurrection :D

I assume these CTEK trickle units are OK for use with Varley RedTop batteries as I have been working on my motor all weekend and now have a dead RedTop 25 which I have removed to charge on the bench :(

Liking the idea of having something left attached to maintain the battery :thumbs:

Shouldn't this be turned into a tech article, very helpful indeed.