The mkiv Supra Owners Club

More mobile phone probs, now it's lost...

Chris Wilson

Beginning to wish I hadn't bought a new mobile and given the wife my old one, on a shared contract, she's lost the damned thing now. I am on an Orange contract with my phone. I cancelled the Sim and the phone number. Orange want about 50 quid for a new phone, plus, I think they said, a fiver a month for the insurance. Now someone today said I could just get a new Sim card from Orange and buy a cheap phone from a pal, the net, whatever, and she'd be up and running again for far less. is that right? Cheers, mobiles are a mystery to me. I asked Orange to switch off text messaging, expecting this to stop my phone RECEIVING texts, seems we misunderstood one another, I now can't send texts (not that I know how, or ever do) but it still recieves the damned illiterate junk... :conf:

lol, as long as orange provide you with a sim card. then all you need to do is pick up any mobile and away you go.

just make sure the mobile is unlocked or on all networks. if not, a shop can do this for about a tenner if the phone isnt stolen.

any phone in particular you were after?

you can pick up used phones from about £30 upwards

Thanks Shaf. How do I go about getting JUST a Sim card from oramge then? As for a phone, something very cheap, that will vibrate, with a VERY loud ring tone, as i am often in a noisy environment (pit lanes at race track et cetera). No fancy features needed at all. Only realized a month after getting my new one it appears capable of taking a photograph! To me that's a bloody useless facility ;)

yep just walk into an orange shop. or if you want a replacement for the one on the shared contract, ring up orange and they will provide a replacement one for about £15

you can pick up an ericsson t68, which has vibrate and a loud ringtone from ebay for about £40. that is very easy to use and has all the basic functions. or an old nokia 7210 or something. the choices are endless

I have a t68 - thankfully I didn't pay for it as it's awful!

Non intuitive and slow to respond to button presses. Takes me half hour to send one text. My old Nokias were great.

had one for ages, works fine for me. must be your software :D

nokias are agreed to have the most user friendly software

My mate needed a phone which he could take to work (he isn't allowed bluetooth, camera phones or any of that lark), so it had to be basic...

The nokia 1100 is a no frills phone, it does exactly what it is supposed to do... certainly a lot easier than my 6600...

Gav

Chris, I have an old Panasonic GD87 you can have matey. It's sim free (open to all networks) is a flip phone, colour screen with camera etc etc. Send me a PM with your address and I will send it if you like.

To look at phones and what they do go to: http://www.gsmarena.com - they have reviews of all phones on their.

Anyway, PM me if your interested.

Grant