Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How To: Overhaul starter motor contacts

Undecided! Club Member creative's Avatar
    Feedback
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmoot View Post
    Just want to check, is this the solution for the intermitent problem where I get "thwangggg" sound when I turn the key on (and the engine doesn't crank)? Is that what the 'click' sounds like?
    it will literally be a click and nothing... imagine the sound you get when the battery is flat and doesnt have enough power to crank the engine.
    5.4ltr V8 rebuilt with - Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank - Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr - 4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts - Clevit performance rod and main bearings - full ARP headstud kit - total seal rings - Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel- Mellings uprated oil pump - Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit - Eaton M122 Supercharger - ID1000 Injectors - and one kick ass sound system!

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.

1JZ Baby Club Member little num's Avatar
    Feedback
    131 (99%)
    yeh mine was starting to click about 5 times before it finally went, sometimes it would try to start then stop on its own, ordered the stuff from mr t and installed them, very easy to do cant really go wrong at all, just follow the step by step pics and your easy on.
    Gave it a good clean inside and out and have put it on a heater for it to dry, will try it off the car to make sure all is well then refit, again very easy, simple job but a nightmare problem when it happens, stuck in the middle of no where and its just clicking away lol. Cheers again for the boys who took time out to take pics and step by step info.
    Are here to be broken

What search button? Club Member supraGZaerotop's Avatar
    Feedback
    3 (100%)
    so if my car when hot is getting a little lazy to start would this be a sign of my starter needed some tlc, also the other morning i got in the car and it refused to fire until maybe 4th 5th attempt.
    toyota mr2 gt2.0 tbar 1992 j
    toyota mr2 gt2.0 tbar 1993 k
    nissan 200sx s14a 1997 R (lots of dosh spent, 300bhp )
    toyota supra gz aerotop TT 1994 (sold 2010 )
    toyota supra gz aerotop TT 1993-bpu

Feedback
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by supraGZaerotop View Post
    so if my car when hot is getting a little lazy to start would this be a sign of my starter needed some tlc, also the other morning i got in the car and it refused to fire until maybe 4th 5th attempt.
    Yep, sounds like what happened to mine. Very intermittent at first but becomes more and more regular over time and could take a few attempts to get going. The refurb sorted it out and no problems since.
    - Rob -
    Quicksilver TT Tiptronic

I'm a newbie
    Feedback

Help asap!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marmoot View Post
    Just want to check, is this the solution for the intermitent problem where I get "thwangggg" sound when I turn the key on (and the engine doesn't crank)? Is that what the 'click' sounds like?

I got that problem intermitently (actually, more often than not). And today it went to a whole different level when the starter actually got STUCK ON THE ON POSITION and keep whirring despite the engine starting. A quick jab at it with a rod stopped it. Dunno when it would happen again though. I'm scared now.
    Same problem here! But jabbing the solenoid didn't help! Does anyone have any good advices what to do... eg. pull the starter assy of and refurb the solenoid contact or whatnot?

quest for road supremacy Club Member paul mac's Avatar
    Feedback
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juzzo View Post
    Same problem here! But jabbing the solenoid didn't help! Does anyone have any good advices what to do... eg. pull the starter assy of and refurb the solenoid contact or whatnot?
    ehhh i suggest you read this thread
    93 JDM T61 510 hp
    my motor

Me? Post? Never! Club Member SUPRALOOPY's Avatar
    Feedback
    91 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Juzzo View Post
    Did you just get off the windowlicking bus mate???
    Don't spend your life with someone you can live with. Spend it with the one you can't live without. :-)

I'm a newbie
    Feedback
    I was only trying to figure out what causes the solenoid to stick...
    But I took it out and cleaned everything and tested the ACC-wire for the solenoid... all was OK and now it fire's like it should.
    Must have been the copper dust in the solenoid causing not-wanted connection between the mainpower/ACC terminals

Feedback
    3 (100%)
    just took delivery of my repair kit

I'm a newbie
    Feedback
    Just did this refurb and so far so good. My old contact was worn almost completely to nothing. Just a note of caution, be very careful when you reassemble the 3 small bolts on the cap of the solenoid. Here's how it went as I was talking to my brother who was present and assisting me: "There, that should be tight enough. The last thing I want is to snap a bolt or something *snap*.... awwww, f*** sakes...." Lol, luckily the other two bolts are enough to hold it down. I just covered the 3rd bolt head with RTV silicone as it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to extract a 2mm wide bolt when it would still work as is... So be careful! It didn't take much at all.

Feedback
    3 (100%)
    have completed my contacts refurb also, well my mate done it for me. shall post pics up shortly of the worn parts. my car is like a new car now,

Me? Post? Never! Club Member supra_aero's Avatar
    Feedback
    11 (100%)
    I just fixed mine on my gs300 last month - great feeling when it starts first time now

I'm a newbie
    Feedback
    hi all. my starter just packed up as well. i found a place on ebay (in the uk) thats sells the repair kit. i paid AU$28 delivered to aus. heres the link http://shop.ebay.com.au/repairkitsuk...1&_from=&_ipg= and they do more then just supras.

hope this helps

takecare
    Nuno

Feedback
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Supranatural View Post
    hi all. my starter just packed up as well. i found a place on ebay (in the uk) thats sells the repair kit. i paid AU$28 delivered to aus. heres the link http://shop.ebay.com.au/repairkitsuk...1&_from=&_ipg= and they do more then just supras.

hope this helps

takecare
    Nuno
    Awesome find! Ten quid, and it includes the plunger assembly which isn't something we'd been replacing up to now.

Here's his UK ebay page:
    http://shop.ebay.co.uk/repairkitsuk/...1&_from=&_ipg=
    BMW M6 Gran Coupe 4.4 DCT

2014/15 Jaguar XF-R 5.0 Supercharged with performance pack
    Storm Blue UK TT Auto, ex-Gunmetal Facelift TT Auto
    6.0L LS2 V8 6spd RX7 FD
    BMW e46 330i LPG automatic, BMW E60 545i LPG automatic

Carl

Posting is my life! Club Member
    Feedback
    26 (100%)
    hmmm may aswel do this whilst its off!

how much are the repair kits from toyota? best thing to clean contacts with?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast