The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Knocking and creaking suspension

Ian C

Name:

Knocking and creaking suspension

Also known as:

Suspension clonks

What is it?

You get a knock/creak/clonk noise from the underside of the car.

Usually caused by:

Reversing under full lock

Braking for the first time

Why?

The suspension subframe nuts and bolts work loose over time, and when loads shift (e.g. changing direction) parts of the suspension shift a tiny amount as well, causing the noises

How bad is this problem?

Apart from making your car sound like it’s going to fall apart, your car could, well, fall apart :D People have gone for a couple of years with these noises without anything falling off but at least one person has experience a front suspension collapse. You have a year or so to sort it out before this will happen but as the fix is a simple bit of maintenance, why wait?

Remedy:

Use the attached torque tables to get the bolts all torqued up correctly. This is really a ramp job with a very big industrial torque wrench as some of these bolts are done up FT. It’s a simple procedure so a local garage can perform the maintenance.

Other possible causes:

Brake pads could be shifting in the calipers if the noise is only heard the first time you brake in a direction.

-Ian

Torque settings page 1.jpg

Torque settings page 2.jpg

• 4 months later...
Guest edgonuk

:help:

I get a clonk from the front suspension or brakes but only very rarely like once a month. As far as I noticed it happens only when I'm driving very slowly.

When you say 'You get a knock/creak/clonk noise from the underside of the car.' is this all the time or like I've described?

My supra is from 93 and the suspension is lowered.

:thanks:

:clap:

Please add loose droplinks to other causes.

Yeah. One of my rears is extremely loose (I almost removed it.. but not quite) and it sounds absolutely shocking. New ones on order, quite cheap too.

Rears were £28 ea, fronts £34 each, -ish.

As for control arms.. they cost a a bomb.

• 2 months later...

Ok...there are no lose bolts that i can find, no clunks or knocks, but when I start moving slow or fast the rear suspension creaks. Its coming from the drivers side. I opened the boot and checked for moving foam chunks, changed the boot rubbers and the noise is still there. if I have the boot open and jump up and sit on the rear wing I can hear the creak soming from the top of the suspension.

Any ideas? I hope its not the bushes.

Are there any points I can grease up around there? havent had the case off the top of the suspesion as I was doing this in Ikea car park.

I don't like the noise....souds like something is going to snap!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also have a knocking from the front of my '95 J-spec SZ but it occurs all the time and is especially loud when I go over speed bumps and harsh bumps in the road.:scare:

I have to admit that I haven't had a look under the car yet but would be grateful of any direction as to what part of the suspension it could be to narrow down the field.:ok:

• 1 month later...
Guest mark poulton

i have the same clunking at low speed over bumps and pot holes, imtold this is due to wear in the top of the suspension unit known as the doughnut, there can be play between a ball bearing and whatever it is in contact with, ive had to opt for new front suspesion.

• 8 months later...

I had exactly this and tried everything.

The clicking sounded like it was comimg from the handbrake shoes but i could not find anything!!

It would get worse as it got hotter

Eventually i cured it..... The driveshaft nut had worked ever-so slightly loose causing slight movement on the splines,So if you have this symptom and your castle nut and split pin in the centre of your rear wheel is rusty this is probably the fault

Hope this helps someone

Cheers

Knightrider:)

Hi guys,

Couldn't help but take notice of this thread as i have been a bit worried about the knocking sound of late coming from the rear of my motor too. It occurs when i go over the slightest of bumps etc...

The sound is as if something is loose. It also occurs after i engage 1st gear and take off from a stand still until the backlash is taken up.

I just ain't sure what to do :search: I would have thought Toyota would be a bit pricey with parts and labour as my motor is a J-Spec.

I was thinking of taking my motor to Gaz Walkers Garage to see if he can fit new bushes after Christmas and maybe fathom out where the Knocking is coming from....

I just pray the back end of my motor doesn't fall off before then otherwise i maybe riding a horse-drawn 2 wheel chariot :D

I've got a bad knock on the front drivers side tryed fixing it but spend most of my time under the car scratching my head .

What exactly are the torque settings for thr front subframe ?

i cant make owt out on that attachment .

and whats that about the engine mounts ?

anyone had this problem or is it very unlikely ?

the list of what to check just keeps on growing

Hi guys,

Couldn't help but take notice of this thread as i have been a bit worried about the knocking sound of late coming from the rear of my motor too. It occurs when i go over the slightest of bumps etc...

The sound is as if something is loose. It also occurs after i engage 1st gear and take off from a stand still until the backlash is taken up.

I just ain't sure what to do :search: I would have thought Toyota would be a bit pricey with parts and labour as my motor is a J-Spec.

I was thinking of taking my motor to Gaz Walkers Garage to see if he can fit new bushes after Christmas and maybe fathom out where the Knocking is coming from....

I just pray the back end of my motor doesn't fall off before then otherwise i maybe riding a horse-drawn 2 wheel chariot :D

Check the shock absorber bolts are tight. All you need to do to get to them is take out a tiny piece of plastic trim in the boot.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a 95 NA which likes to knock its head off going over rough roads. When on smooth roads like motorways, theres not a single noise at all. it doesn't knock when braking, turning slowly or reversing. It only knocks over bumpy, poorly maintaned roads(most of the roads in scotland then lol) Anyone help me?

I've got a 95 NA which likes to knock its head off going over rough roads. When on smooth roads like motorways, theres not a single noise at all. it doesn't knock when braking, turning slowly or reversing. It only knocks over bumpy, poorly maintaned roads(most of the roads in scotland then lol) Anyone help me?

Drop links (Anti-roll bar links) need replacing, I'd say.

Search the forums for write-ups. Angle-grinder might be needed if the hex-slots (allen-key slots in the bolt) doens't give enough grip.

• 6 months later...

I had been getting really bad creaking suspension over the past week or two. It wasn't a clunk just a creak every time the suspension travelled up and down. I spent ages trying to find out what it was. I replaced the ARB bushes and the droplinks.

It turned out to be the front bolt on the lower suspension arm was quite loose and was causing the noise. tightened it up and all is fine