The mkiv Supra Owners Club

sequential issue and going ttc ideas please

supraGZaerotop

I know believe I found my issue for sure, fingers crossed. pics to follow in coming days but my to link pipes were in a right state, the one that's closer to turbo 1 had more or less closed up!!!! my other issue was a vsv that I thought was the problem for a while now. ive literally replaced most things. so went about testing both the electrical and vacuum side, just goes to show don't just think its a certain vsv because you read on here, test them. egcv I replaced the other week thinking it must be that is actually fine lol now ive tested it, or well a spare, finally found when I tested my egbv it was dead! that's on order no.

Edited by supraGZaerotop (see edit history)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holy crap!!! :blink: the cars amazing. so much better, its a different car. i have not driven one this sorted in a long time and i actually forgot how they are suppose to drive like. im blown away , its that good, so responsive now :p its just goes like bloody cruise missle. egbv was tested and found dead as a door nail!! and my intake link pipes were in a shocking state!! previous to this i replaced the iavc vsv and egcv vsv , also replaced about 90% of vacuum hose, tighten down intercooler pipework. just feels like its just rolled off the line. i didint want to come home just now, but my fuel light came on :D

I'm glad you found your issue mate well done :thumbs:

Great news, just to be sure the link pipes are those accordion ones? The egbv is the vsv located where exactly, I realise i'm being lazy but is it one of the front ones?

Testing wise did you use a specific guide?

The EBV vsv sits on top at the back next to the air box pipe, the EGCV vsv is the one that sits on the bracket at the front 1st turbo.

I need to get my arse into gear and actually test the 2 at the front 1st turbo, done the easy back 2 at the top and they were fine.

hi . yeah the link pipes are those you mentioned yes. I bought all parts oem toyota. the link pipes i got of paul at whifbitz. and the vsv, yes the egbv is sitting above turbo 2 next to the intake pipe. easy to test the vsvs. i also did a little refresh around the hks bov, new vac hose and blanking cap. just be careful around the vsvs as they brittle new never mind old lol. when you start replacing the vac hoses you will probably break a vsv, they really are rubbish. i had one broken in the post!!! was replaced no problem. the link pipes are easy to do in situ, i had to cut the one close turbo 1 side tho because it was like concrete, new ones easy enough to push over just don't forget to put clips on first lol. but yeah the car feels amazing now, just perfect, im blown away how good it runs now to be honest.

Ta for that, I'm going to dig into the manual and get my arse into gear re testing. I have a full set of spare vsv's and possibly another set coming soon to test.

Ta for that, I'm going to dig into the manual and get my arse into gear re testing. I have a full set of spare vsv's and possibly another set coming soon to test.

rig a 12v wire from your battery and test the vsvs that way. they are 12v and it dont matter which way you test them. you will hear them clicking if theyre good. testing the vac side i bought a vac hand pump kit off ebay about £13 to see if they were holding pressure. you can then apply power to test the valve works perfectly then if you want to, but if they click and hold pressure theyre good to go so i wouldint bother buying a couple of sets as its probably only 1 of the 2 top vsvs at fault.

Well I've just finished testing the remaining vsv's and they all seem fine. Correct resistance, ticking and flow air through correct ports when 12v is connected.

I guess the next thing to look at is the pressure tank maybe, if not might be an electrical issue going to the vsv's.

I made up some leads which helped, used them for resetting my TPS. The connectors slide onto the terminals and hold firmly.

IMG_5192.JPG

hi, this is what i did. what issue have you got with your car ? no turbo? or lack of power

Well I've just finished testing the remaining vsv's and they all seem fine. Correct resistance, ticking and flow air through correct ports when 12v is connected.

I guess the next thing to look at is the pressure tank maybe, if not might be an electrical issue going to the vsv's.

I made up some leads which helped, used them for resetting my TPS. The connectors slide onto the terminals and hold firmly.

- - - Updated - - -

Great thanks for the info

no problem ;)

Same repair I did, after changing the above items, I had to back the EBC settings back by 20%. Basically to reach 1.2bar my EBC was working 20% harder because of all the inefficencies in the system.

What this translated to in power was 18wkw & 31nm gain.. Car became an absolute animal..

Fuel consumption improved by a shocking 8L/100kms...

Edited by Samurai 20V (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I noticed an image (using Tap a Talk) of your engine bay that your strut brace was identical to mine. Are you able to name the brand please? My 98 RZ-S was imported from Japan and that small detail has eluded me. My apologies for interrupting your thread. Thankyou.

pipes in bad state, my old egbv crumbled when I took it off, lucky it was duff anyway. Then when I had a replacement in post which had the same damage, these vsvs are very fragile even new.

- - - Updated - - -

job done

How much were the turbo link pipes please?

Just to add re the turbo link pipes, the first turbo one tends to be the one to go worst. Yesterday I thought i would take a look at mine and found a similar conditioned ie collapsed first link pipe I had the link pipes from James' old green TT before he went single (approx 50k miles i think?) and one of them was in excellent condition so i've pop that on, but I would say anyone with a early car or medium mileage one should just get there's replaced.