The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Warning light after acceleration.

StormRider

Hi everyone,

I have recently put a high performance oil filter on my TT and done an oil change with 10w40. Since then I seem to have a warning light whenever I take my foot off the accelerator pedal. Do I link this problem with the K&N high performance oil filter and change it for a normal one or do I just need to take it down to a garage that can read the error codes off the ECU?

I'd be thankful for any ideas anyone has on this,

SS13

Check the brake fluid level.

This

Brake Fluid is fine and it hasn't gone down since I overhauled the brakes, but I can always bleed the brakes in case it's that.

You think that, everyone does. But unless the reservoir is really full, the float switch activates on heavy braking. Obviously it could be a number of things but you really need to check this thoroughly first before spending too much time looking for other things. You can disconnect the plug on the reservoir cap to take it out of the equation.

Also check for fault codes if you haven't already.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

The first clue might be to tell us which warning light is coming on?

Yes, it does sound like brake fluid level symptoms, but IIRC that should light two different warning lamps, and the OP hasn't disturbed the brake system, he's disturbed the lubrication system.

The first clue might be to tell us which warning light is coming on?

Yes, it does sound like brake fluid level symptoms, but IIRC that should light two different warning lamps, and the OP hasn't disturbed the brake system, he's disturbed the lubrication system.

That's very true actually, would be good to know if its the triangle that's coming on. It's such a common problem and normally asked by newcomers that its an obvious presumption. But, he has also "overhauled the brakes".

What I am amazed at is that no-one has yet berated him for not leaving the oem air filter on, normally only takes a few milliseconds for that to happen.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

That's very true actually, would be good to know if its the triangle that's coming on. It's such a common problem and normally asked by newcomers that its an obvious presumption. But, he has also "overhauled the brakes".

What I am amazed at is that no-one has yet berated him for not leaving the oem air filter on, normally only takes a few milliseconds for that to happen.

The triangle comes on and the second warning light on the right hand side at the same time.

I bought my Supra with a few problems to sort out and funnily enough the air filter isn't oem, it's a bodged together K&N that is fixed to an air filter pipe that is fitted badly to the original pipe. And so that remains, rest assured, something I wish to address.

As for the brakes, the existing 'Do Luck' brake lines split and I had to replace them all along with seals, discs and pads.

Its the oil filter that he's changed for K&N, not the air filter :)

Ah, that would be why then, my bad.

The triangle comes on and the second warning light on the right hand side at the same time.

I bought my Supra with a few problems to sort out and funnily enough the air filter isn't oem, it's a bodged together K&N that is fixed to an air filter pipe that is fitted badly to the original pipe. And so that remains, rest assured, something I wish to address.

As for the brakes, the existing 'Do Luck' brake lines split and I had to replace them all along with seals, discs and pads.

OK well in that case I would have to say again it is most likely to be the fluid level or maybe the float switch/wiring. Depending how the car is parked when you check it, there is a large flat air bubble that forms in the top of the reservoir in front of the filler hole. So, when you take the cap off it looks like the fluid is right up to the top, but in use the air moves around and the float switch is activated.

SORTED! I've filled the brake reservoir past the MAX line and up to the top and got rid of the air bubbles and I have no warning lights anymore. The MAX mark should be written on the top of the reservoir, not anywhere on the side.

Thank you EVERYONE! I couldn't work it out by myself.

OK, the second warning light on the right that you mention will be the warning light specifically to say your brake fluid is low. I'm a bit confused as to why you even had to start a thread? Your car was already telling you what was wrong.

If you don't have an owners manual or something else to tell you what the warning lights mean I'd recommend getting one.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted out. :)