PDA

View Full Version : Goodwood festival of speed

DamanC
13-03-06, 22:16
Hi Guys

Ive been along to this event quite a few times now, and it gets better and better every year.

For some of you guys that havent been before id check out their website below for full details

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/fos/

Ill be going along again this year and would like to see what sort of interest we could get for a supe get together and/or an overnight camp

couple of shots from last year (will upload latter)

Cheers

SupraStar 3000
13-03-06, 23:34
I've been a few times and its MY 2nd fav motoring event on the calendar.
(1st being JAE)

Last year the JGTC Supra was amazing!

If I can, I will be going again so YES, event or camp would be good

DamanC
14-03-06, 02:00
as promiced :)

eyefi
14-03-06, 08:35
the pit is awesome.

my only niggle with this event is no onsite camping. it would be great if you could just wake up and saunter into the pit lane :)

ivan
18-03-06, 09:59
I'm probably going again this year. I usually team up with my Bro and Son - a great day out every time.

Gaz6002
18-03-06, 10:44
i've been the last 2 years and will be attending this year - going to the 'ring the weekend before though so hopefully i'm still alive :innocent:

dee_rz
18-03-06, 11:32
promised myself that i'd take my girlfriend and also my nephew down last year and didn't and regretted it bigtime after seeing the footage from itv show, looks so good and i'm already looking forward to it :cool: i'll be there

V
18-04-06, 14:00
What do people recommend about what ticket to buy for Sunday?

Admission only 45
Startline Grandstand 78
Crossroads Grandstand 78
Park Grandstand 78
Paddock Grandstand 78
Molecomb Grandstand 78
Peasantry Grandstand 78

Thanks
SV

Gaz6002
18-04-06, 14:17
Paddock is always fun :d

Bill Prawn
18-04-06, 14:18
If I can, I will be going camp

the truth is out

Mike
18-04-06, 14:43
the truth is out

:lol:

like we didn't suspect....

if I see that picture of him stood in front of that bloody car one more time....

:p

SupraStar 3000
18-04-06, 14:45
Lmao!

JamieP
20-04-06, 19:25
when is this on, just looked at the link and cant find a date anywhere:rolleyes:

RICHARDA
20-04-06, 19:35
7,8 and 9th of July for this year.

JamieP
20-04-06, 19:40
thanks, im gonna go

Jive
14-06-06, 21:29
Just tried booking tickets for the Friday for me and the misses, are all the grandstand tickets sold out or is my browser playing tricks on me :)

Just been on their site and I can get admission tickets only for the Friday.

Is anyone going on the Friday?

ivan
14-06-06, 23:35
I've just ordered my tickets for the Sunday - admission only. We much prefer wandering around rather than sitting in one place.

RICHARDA
15-06-06, 09:01
I'm going Friday, can't wait. It is surely the greatest show on earth! I only live down the road and go every year. Friday is good as it is not too busy, oh and cheap too.:)

Look out for the Bugatti Veyron. Its first public outing apparently.

Jive
15-06-06, 11:45
I've just ordered my tickets for the Sunday - admission only. We much prefer wandering around rather than sitting in one place.

If you got a grandstand seat, you don't have to sit there all the time do you?

My father in law said that with a grandstand seat you can come and go as you please and still wander around the other areas ... ?

First time there so any help appreciated :)

ivan
16-06-06, 13:48
Yes, your'e right Jive - you don't have to sit there all day.

I've been 3 times so far and spend almost all the day wandering around each time. It's only towards the end that I feel the need to sit down and I must admit it would be nice to see the track a bit better when I do. However, not at the expense of a huge hike in entrance price. ;)

And I don't think there's been a year yet where I got to see everything...

Jive
16-06-06, 13:58
Thanks for your advice Ivan - methinks I'll just get the admission tickets then :)

Hopefully see you there on the Friday :)

Jive
17-06-06, 11:00
Just ordered my tickets for Friday, hope I bump into a few people there from here :)

Best make sure I clean the car before the drought sets in :D

Bill Prawn
17-06-06, 11:03
Looks like I'll be there in an official capacity on the Friday:)

Mike
17-06-06, 11:44
Looks like I'll be there in an official capacity on the Friday:)

so you can get us back stage passes or whatever the FOS equivalent would be... ;)

Big Bri
26-06-06, 17:15
I went two years ago and have to agree it one not to miss,I have my tickets already for the Saturday;) My missus even got a snog of Jenson Button last time

Markie
26-06-06, 20:27
Where can I order some tickets guys?

Is it really worth going? As I will probably get crap tickets booking this late??

RICHARDA
27-06-06, 13:35
Yes it really is worth going, no other motorsport event is like it.

Ticket hotline: 01243 755055

HTH
Rich

ivan
04-07-06, 23:49
Or look here (under "Retail" on the left) to buy online.

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/fos/

b'have
06-07-06, 18:18
Just bought my tickets for Friday, anyone else going tomorrow?

SimonB
06-07-06, 18:58

I'm going Sunday this year.

Paul
06-07-06, 19:04
I'm going Saturday:) at least we'll all avoid each other;)

Ewen
06-07-06, 19:04
My daughter is going up there with her boyfriend. If anyone spots a black E reg VW Transporter with BRM wheels and a pink Roxy sticker on the back, feel free to leave sarky comments under the window wipers:)

Jive
06-07-06, 19:13

Yep, me and the misses will be there in the sup, I'll look out for ya :)

Will be getting there about 9.30ish depending on rush hour traffic from Soton down the M27 and how long to get in ...

b'have
06-07-06, 20:19
Yep, me and the misses will be there in the sup, I'll look out for ya :)

Will be getting there about 9.30ish depending on rush hour traffic from Soton down the M27 and how long to get in ...

Cool, see you there!
Anyone know if its busy getting in? Good parking?

SimonB
06-07-06, 23:06
TBH normally the traffic is a bloody nightmare. No problem parking, they have loads of room in the fields and they're not too bumpy. If you want to avoid the traffic you'll have to get there early, otherwise be prepared to sit on the A27 for an age.

V
07-07-06, 08:52
I'm there Sunday :)

Hope the weather is good - seems like they've had a bit of rain :( (and i'm camping!!)

ivan
07-07-06, 13:32
Sunday too. See you there Simon and V :)

Jive
08-07-06, 21:32
So Friday .. left home at 8.30am and dropped my step daughter off at work experience, finally hit the M27 at 9ish, did fairly well till we hit the 12 mile queue down the A27 to get to Goodwood :(

Get in and get lumbered with carrying a bloody heavy coolbox, made way to pickup area and managed to lose our tickets out of my back pocket due to the coolbox pulling them out so wasn't in the best mood when I got to the entrance :badmood:

Finally got in at about 11.30 and our tickets had been handed in :thumbs: to whoever found them.

After that the day got better apart from the weather which kept raining and stopping and raining etc .. so much to see, don't think we saw half of it really, watched loads of the cars going up the hill then did a trip to the pits and round the supercar stand .. the Veyron looked :cool: as fook!

Highlight of the day was watching the cars at the start line and being buzzed by a fighter jet who made about 4 trips up and down the avenue, god that was frikkin loud!! :d

Left at about 4 after watching the F1 cars line up for the start, got loads of pics and about an hour of video which I need to edit, especially the fly by :)

Got home at 6.30 after getting caught on the A27 again!

Great day out and will deffo go again next year!

Spotted one supra in the public C carpark near the tractor area, took a pic and will post that up on the spotted area.

All in all a great day out and those that are going on Sunday, I hope someone gets some decent footage of the Veyron doing it's run up the hill :D

Paul
08-07-06, 22:43
Went today (Saturday), left out from Herts at about 7:30am and got there just after 9, clear run no real traffic to speak of.

The Renault F1 infront of the house, the b*llocks, used an F1 Renault engine to play God Save the Queen !!
The bikes were cool also, F1's played to the crowds, loads of laying down of rubber.
Saw Murray Walker and Nigel Mansell, Mika H was there too but he's a boring fart:)

Weather was perfect, sunny/dry with a nice breeze.
Traffic coming home (6:30ish) was even better, very little and we sailed home in no time.

Great day and as I remembered it some 6yrs ago which was the last time I went.

pompeysupra
09-07-06, 10:31
yep went yesterday also, awsome day, highlight was F1's.

Hearing the renault purring at a 3-4 grand tickover above everything else, giving it a few blips and then the sudden realisation that it was playng God Save the Queen !

For me the supercars were dissapointing, awsome looks but unbelievably quiet when accelerating up the hill towards the wall....... i WANT TO HEAR THE POWER !!!!

Great day, roll on next year !!

lockys96
09-07-06, 14:01
post some pics up soon lads,

was there a jgtc/supergt car there again?

ivan
10-07-06, 00:59
Left home (in Poole) at 6:15 and was inside the grounds by 8. :D No queues at all the way I went. ;) (Skip the official turnoff and stay on the A27 towards Bognor. Take the next exit, the A285 instead.)

Weather was crap at first and we got soaked in the continual drizzle. Still enjoyed looking round the static cars though. The weather cleared up before lunch though, so much that I'm now quite burnt.

Spotted Jody Kidd (complete with cold nips :) ), Damon Hill, Johnny Herbert, Marc Gene, some young sprog called Nico, King Mansell, Sir Jackie, Jenson and a whole host of older racers who were around about the time I was a kid...

Best bits of the day for me were watching Randy Mamola going up the hill pulling wheelies and going down pulling 'stoppies'(?) - with Lord March hanging on for dear life on the back :D

And Damon Hill nearly stuffing an old school Lotus into the bales and getting a huge cheer. He slowed down and raised both hands bowing out of the cockpit acknowledging the cheers like you do when you've made a prat out of yourself.

No Tom's Supra this year, but still a few Toyota goodies around. The GT500 Z350 was there though and did a good turn up the hill. (I think Richard Lyons may have got best time of the day, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.)

Surprise of the day has to be what we all knew all along - the fastest thing on the road is White Van Man. Last year's fastest driver Justin Law took to the hill in a Transit complete with ladder on the roof, flashing orange light and compulsory England flag. You can see it in the pic behind Jody.

The hidden secret was the complete running gear and suspension from a Jag XK200 in the back! He went over the finishing line at 95mph... :D

A great day yet again. If you haven't been, the one thing you'll never forget is the smell of burning rubber. :D

Professor Kenny
03-06-08, 13:18
I've just booked tickets - only going on the Sunday, but it would be good to meet up with some of you.

Gaz6002
03-06-08, 13:19
We're going on the Saturday this year

AlexM
03-06-08, 13:38
I was wondering why I'd missed this thread - resurrected from 2006! :rlol:

I'd like to go, but not sure I'll make it this year. I didn't realise it was so soon :(.

ivan
03-06-08, 14:03
We'll be going again this year - probably Sunday.

Hamilton is confirmed as attending again apparently.

Dragonlady
03-06-08, 14:04
Already have tickets. Going Friday and Saturday, as there is just to much to see in one day!

SimonB
03-06-08, 18:15
I'll be there on Saturday. Sunday worth avoiding I reckon if Hamilton is there - it'll be mayhem.

Supra-love
04-06-08, 14:49
7,8 and 9th of July for this year.

Just gone to site and now date's for festival of speed is now
10th-11th-12th and 13th of july..

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/booking/TicketsV2/Speed/SpdGnd.asp?Stand=paddock

Gaz6002
04-06-08, 14:53
Just gone to site and now date's for festival of speed is now
10th-11th-12th and 13th of july..

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/booking/TicketsV2/Speed/SpdGnd.asp?Stand=paddock

This thread was for last year mate

lockys96
04-06-08, 14:54
wouldnt it be worth booking 11th july off, surely thats the less busy day

ivan
04-06-08, 14:55
Friday 11th to Sunday 13th only.

Richard's post was from '06 I think you'll find. ;)

Supra-love
04-06-08, 15:01
Just got off the phone to them guys and its 11-13th this year look on calendars..
Festival Of Speed

Gaz6002
04-06-08, 15:03
Just got off the phone to them guys and its 11-13th this year look on calendars..
Festival Of Speed

That's what we have been trying to tell you :)

Supra-love
04-06-08, 15:04
Ahh im with you know his post was from 06' my bad..
And ill be there saturday. Corner paddock.

Gaz6002
04-06-08, 15:07
Ahh im with you know his post was from 06' my bad..
And ill be there saturday. Corner paddock.

I'll be there then too, not sure which tickets to go for just yet though. I usually buy them in the Times but havne't seen any adverts yet.

R Black
04-06-08, 17:09
Yup im up there on the Sunday the day before we are going to RAF Fairford for the airshow so im looking forward to that weekend. Goodwood is always a great day i highly reccomend it.

Animal
04-06-08, 17:21
Me an Lucy have been wanting to do this for a few years, but keep missing it. I'm just trying to work out if I can afford it or not. Does anyone know how much it is to camp there?

It's looking like nearly 400 just with entrance tickets & fuel so far.

Trig
04-06-08, 17:35
gonna try and make it this year :)

RICHARDA
04-06-08, 17:48
Just bought my ticket from the ticket office today for Friday 27.

R Black
04-06-08, 19:30
Me an Lucy have been wanting to do this for a few years, but keep missing it. I'm just trying to work out if I can afford it or not. Does anyone know how much it is to camp there?

It's looking like nearly 400 just with entrance tickets & fuel so far.

Why so much?

Animal
04-06-08, 19:37
Just under 100 each for the tickets, about 300 mile drive there, so 2, maybe 3 tanks of fuel to get there and back.

It's a 5-6 hour drive, and I'd want to do 2 days so as not to feel rushed, so it's as cheap to get tickets for all 3 days

MARCUS1979
04-06-08, 23:32
I'm thinking of going to this this year
Whats the best day to go for?
As never been before

ManwithSupra
06-07-08, 12:01
Im going on sunday as well hope the weather is going to be ok :)

ivan
08-07-08, 17:06
I'm thinking of going to this this year
Whats the best day to go for?
As never been before
Sat or Sun IMO.
Same things happen both days apart from the prize giving.

Gaz6002
08-07-08, 17:07
Will anyone be there this Saturday?

ivan
08-07-08, 17:39
Me and my brother.

We're going in his Vauxhall though. Nearly got stuck in the mud in the Supe last year. :(

Gaz6002
08-07-08, 18:10
Me and my brother.

We're going in his Vauxhall though. Nearly got stuck in the mud in the Supe last year. :(

I'm a little worried that I'll loose my front bumper in the field! Still, I want a new one anyway :eyebrows:

KernowBoy
09-07-08, 12:54
Im gonna go on the saturday. first real trip in my supra so cant wait!

Pabs
09-07-08, 13:40
Damn.. totally forgot FOS was this month... have to miss it now :( boo

MARCUS1979
09-07-08, 18:55
I'll be there on sunday

supra matt
09-07-08, 19:06
I live about 5 Min's from goodwood but not going as it's meant to be raining But if it dose not i may slip in the back door :D and have a wonder round

rxv8
09-07-08, 22:33
how much are tickets to get in ???

Bobbeh
11-07-08, 17:54
Tickets are extoritionate.. just checked the website and they want 47 per person! Very dissapointing as the event is great fun.

Gerry
11-07-08, 23:17
The Chippers Longleat meet is canceled so made a last minute booking to go tomorrow (Sat).
Been once before (years ago) and it was great.

Agreed very expensive, but where else can you see so many different types of fast cars in one day.

Hope the sunny / showers forcast is right...

JamieP
12-07-08, 08:55
Some nice pics here guys:)

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=558460&nmt=Goodwood%20Festival%20of%20Speed%2008%20Friday

ivan
13-07-08, 11:43
Went yesterday and had a great time.
Weather was pretty fair too - as my red forehead can testify. :)

Met Gatso and Soo walking up the hill - who said they had already seen SimonB, in a bar unsurprisingly. :)

Saw this gal too, along with Dave Richards, Tony Jardine, Marc Gene, a couple of other minor F1 drivers, Alan McNish and Murray Walker. :D

Gerry
13-07-08, 12:17
Great Day... :)

Highlights:

Finally seeing the new GTR, one black one silver.
The sound of the F1 cars going up the hill.
Getting to see VBH :love: in real life.
Smelling an old Triumph GT6 - smelt just like mine did years ago !
Watching the WRC's going through the forest section.
The lovely weather.
Meeting Ivan & SimonB - obviously :)

Knowing that if we had parked the car on a stand and not in the car-park, it would have got as many admiring glances as much of the 100K plus cars that were there :)
(and more than the whole of the Toyota stands stuff put togther) !

WTF... http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=156590

ivan
13-07-08, 21:14
Knowing that if we had parked the car on a stand and not in the car-park, it would have got as many admiring glances as much of the 100K plus cars that were there :)
(and more than the whole of the Toyota stands stuff put togther) !Hell yes.
That Toyota stand hasn't changed since '03 - in fact, there's less cars on it. :blink:

Here's the stand in '03.

ivan
13-07-08, 21:19
And here it is in '04 and '06.

I haven't bothered taking any pics for the last 2 years - it's a waste of digits.

Gaz6002
13-07-08, 21:42
I managed to meet Sir Stirling Moss and VBH so altogether a thoroughly successful day, topped off with a BBQ and lots of wine in the evening. Loved it, as usual :)

R Black
13-07-08, 23:04
Had a good time there today,weather held out which was great seeing as how Fairford was cancelled, saw one blue Supe parked up.

b'have
13-07-08, 23:09
Great day. Jenson broke the Honda (again :rolleyes:) Hamilton was great (even signed my sons tshirt :))
Awesome cars as usual :cool:

SimonB
14-07-08, 19:58
We camped over this year, it was brilliant! From about 6:30 onwards there's hardly anyone there and you can poke around the paddock without anyone in the way. Then we hung around the house and did the pap thing with the celebs arriving! I think my favourite car this year was the Mazda Furai concept. It looked stunning. I was chatting to the guy who ran their ALMS team - the mechanicals are from the ALMS car - triple rotary engine. Here it is:

http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2008/07/410.jpg

Got to love Goodwood, I was in the Cathedral paddock talking to Alan McNish and next door Derek Bell was getting changed into his race suite! Nowhere else could you do that.

Some great pics on my mate Alex's site, including some of VBH arriving at the party for fans of hers ;). Have to say she did look very nice!

http://www.alexgoss.com/Cars/GFoS/2008/index.html