The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coverting to Aerotop !

Supra-Dupra

Personally I wouldnt bother, I dont see the point maybe if you have an amazing 6 speed but even then I wouldnt do it IMO.

I remember reading on here a long time ago that someone thought it would be easier to put a 6 speed box in an aerotop than convert a 6 speed to an aero.

:yeahthat: Definitely easier and cheaper to take an existing aero and stick a 2nd hand 6spd box in it.

Well a neighbour has a very good bodyshop and has the contract for most renault garages in the area as they dont have there only repair guys, he does a decent job tbh ! The price wouldnt be a huge factor ! were talking under a 1000 euro ! he did a complete respray on my whole mk3 golf for 500 euro when I had it ! When others quoted over 1500 !

Guest gzaerojon

also you might check if the chassis would take it, it might be doubled in strength to make up for the missing roof. i've got a tt aerotop and next year i'll be putting a 6 speed box in, i think thats the best way round imo

also you might check if the chassis would take it, it might be doubled in strength to make up for the missing roof. i've got a tt aerotop and next year i'll be putting a 6 speed box in, i think thats the best way round imo

Whats that gonna cost ? I did think of the security possiblity of landing on the roof in an accident, prob wouldnt be the safest, and the chassis thing too is a good point !

But thats all well and good for aerotop owners Im NOT !

Well a neighbour has a very good bodyshop and has the contract for most renault garages in the area as they dont have there only repair guys, he does a decent job tbh ! The price wouldnt be a huge factor ! were talking under a 1000 euro ! he did a complete respray on my whole mk3 golf for 500 euro when I had it ! When others quoted over 1500 !

I'm not sure but I would guess the stock aero has a lot of extra strengthening built into. Why anyone woudl want a performance car without a roof anyway is beyond me :slap:

Guest gzaerojon

i was gonna do it one of 2 ways.

the first is to buy a decent 6 speed soop and swap the bits over and then sell it as an auto.

or just look out for a crashed damaged soop and but all the bits from it.

probably 5 to 6k on the second option, but the first one would be the cheapest but its a gamble trying to sell the auto soop after you finnish with it...

Elaborate please, this is what I want to investigate !

I don't know if there's any in the doors, but it wouldn't surprise me (there was on the MKIII), plus I'm dead certain that the insides of the sills under the doors are much stronger. I believe there's also extra items under the car as well.

Guest gzaerojon

i've seen aerotops going on ebay for silly money lately, might be worth getting a cheap one, perhaps with a blown engine. then just swap it all over

i've seen aerotops going on ebay for silly money lately, might be worth getting a cheap one, perhaps with a blown engine. then just swap it all over

Only problem with that is a Supra with a blown engine is rarer than one with an aero top :D

Maybe getting an NA auto aero would be the easiest.

Aerotops, soft tops on any car are always strengthened! you can't just cut the roof off, it a major structual part of a car. Therefore it wouldnt handle for toffee! the car would twist and sag all over the place. think of what happens when you open the top of a cardboard box, you can squash the box into a parallelagram!